News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for ljay889

ljay889 Profile Photo
Member Name: ljay889
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Profile: I love Sondheim

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jul 23 2024, 08:57:26 PM
Wayman_Wong said: "''I don't know if the role was written for F. Murray Abraham or not but the fact that David doesn't sing is a big problem.''

This reminds me of a problem I've always had with ''Hello, Dolly!'' Horace has only one song, ''It Takes a Woman.'' In the latest revival, starring Bette Midler, they restored ''Penny in My Pocket'' at the top of Act II, so David Hyde Pierce would have something to do, but it's such a nothing song.

Even

Imelda Staunton Hello, Dolly starts tonight!
 Jul 20 2024, 06:51:49 PM

Critics Pick from The NY Times. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/19/theater/hello-dolly-imelda-staunton.html

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jul 17 2024, 10:27:48 PM
Jesse St. James said: "Nathan Lane is Herbie"

Yeah, ok.

Jul 7 2024, 01:21:04 PM
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/LuPone-Revival-of-HELLO-DOLLY-Hits-Snag-20110320

This article also mentions that Herman didn't want "new concepts" from O'Brien.

Jul 7 2024, 01:15:17 PM
From what I remember, Herman originally suggested Patti as a possibility for the role, then once a revival was being planned with Jack O'Brien, he changed his mind. The "too ethnic" reasoning sounded like a cop out, He likely wanted a Gower Champion re-creation like the Zaks production largely was. Midler was and is certainly "ethnic."
 Jul 7 2024, 01:09:24 PM
Unfortunately, Herman put a stop to Patti's revival with Jack O'brien because he felt she was "too ethnic."
It doesn't sound like she has any desire to lead a big Broadway musical production anymore.

Jul 6 2024, 04:06:33 PM

Does Imelda have any warmth in this role?

Does 56-year-old Irene work?

Jul 2 2024, 11:06:09 AM

I can go either way with the reprise, but I think the consensus at the time was that Rose is so obsessed in the moment with getting Louise on that stage, that she wouldn’t take the time to sit and pine for Herbie. and I don’t disagree with that.

Jul 2 2024, 10:32:51 AM

I’ve been wondering if they’ll use Laurents’ 2008 edits: cutting Mr. Kringelein and the “faux rape,” using the stuffed lamb, and cutting the “Small World” reprise. 
The Staunton revival used all of these edits, and I wonder if it’s going to become commonplace now. 

Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
 Jun 28 2024, 12:00:21 AM

“Silly People” is a stunning song, But I imagine it brings act 2 to an unnecessary halt. 

Erivo, Graham, Gotay, and more to lead A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC IN CONCERT
 Jun 27 2024, 11:49:10 PM

Were the trio of leads as boring on as stage as they are on paper?

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
 Jun 26 2024, 06:49:56 PM

She sounded lovely singing the score, yes, there was some strain on “Fable” but maybe they can slightly lower the key to better suit her range. Her delivery of “The Beauty Is” reprise and “Fable” was absolutely unforgettable, IMO. 

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
 Jun 26 2024, 12:56:44 PM

While I don’t trust the OP, Miles’ performance NEEDS to be seen again. It was extraordinary.

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 23 2024, 06:09:36 PM

I don’t think Patti would ever take Carlotta, she’s been clear in the past she doesn’t want to be billed in a box or as an “and.”

I do think somebody like Vanessa Williams would be a feasible Carlotta. She’s got the right glamour for the role. 

While Benanti would be a perfect Phyllis, I don’t think we’ll be seeing another revival with four white leads. Heather Headley would knock Phyllis out of the park.&n

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 22 2024, 09:24:50 PM
Owen22 said: "ljay889 said: "Ebersole is in her 70's now. I'm tired of the old Sallys, at this point. Bernadette didn't look her age at all, but Staunton certainly did. The character is very specifically 49-years-old. While I think Audra would be phenomenal, my gut says the next big revival is being saved/planned for Kelli, and likely at LCT. "

No. The next Broadway revival (in about 10 years) will star Jeremy Jordan, Sutton Foster AnnaleighAshfor

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 22 2024, 12:54:41 PM
Ebersole is in her 70's now. I'm tired of the old Sallys, at this point. Bernadette didn't look her age at all, but Staunton certainly did. The character is very specifically 49-years-old. While I think Audra would be phenomenal, my gut says the next big revival is being saved/planned for Kelli, and likely at LCT.
FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 22 2024, 12:45:55 PM
The audio snippet of Ebersole's performance that is out there is absolutely stunning.
The 77th Annual Tony Award Snubs!
 Jun 17 2024, 12:15:31 AM

TotallyEffed said: "Broadway61004 said: "TotallyEffed said: "He should have about eight Tonys by now. He’s one of the greatest ever. I’m thrilled he got one for his Sondheim work."

But not for something he wrote 45 years ago is my point. That's like saying Shakespeare should be given 8 Tonys now since he never had a chance to win them previously.
"

Shakespeare has been dead for hundreds of years.

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 11:22:52 PM

It’s been a decades long “curse” for Best Actress in a Musical. 

2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 16 2024, 10:19:54 PM

I haven’t seen SUFFS, but I enjoyed that performance. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You