News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for nygrl232

nygrl232 Profile Photo
Member Name: nygrl232
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Live Blog The Live Sound Of Music  Dec 7 2013, 08:50:48 PM
It lacked heart, imho. It didn't lack talent, but it didn't really seem like anything other than kind of a cynical gamble, not unlike Smash.
Why Ben Sprecher pisses me off and is not a competent producer...  Oct 4 2012, 04:21:25 PM
Do the show off broadway. Rent a barn. Perform it on a cruise ship. Cram everyone into a blackbox theater. It'll be the new Rent.
Anyone into Miss Saigon?  Sep 8 2012, 10:20:44 PM
The show puts Kim in a pressure cooker and sanctifies her. That always made me uncomfortable--the show relies on the female characters being abandoned and abused, or used as emotional placeholders.
Prop letter from SPRING AWAKENING used onstage by Lea Michele & signed play  Aug 23 2012, 02:52:53 PM
Your mom doesn't like you to collect Broadway stuff? It's a hobby.
Twitter User Threatening Broadway Attack.  Aug 7 2012, 06:15:36 PM
Heartily agree, Jane2. Huss417, thanks for illustrating that. In this case, whose recklessness would it be-the person making the threat, or Twitter's?
Twitter User Threatening Broadway Attack.  Aug 7 2012, 02:50:36 PM
Interesting how the free speech line is often metaphorically drawn at yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater...
Thoughts on the NBC show  Aug 7 2012, 08:57:31 AM
Heh, but it is a pretty funny image--Karen still sitting on the plane while everyone else disembarks in NYC, caught up in some 1001 nights like thing, and winding up in London.

I'd watch THAT show.

Thoughts on the NBC show  Aug 6 2012, 02:19:38 PM
I can't believe I know this, but Karen and Dev met in London.

There's no real background on Karen that isn't conveniently placed, so her path isn't really illustrated. BUT, based on her behavior, she is not only clueless but unprofessional. So she does seem right off the bus, and right into an agent's office, and therefore the saga of everything happening very easily for her seemed to begin the moment her feet touched Port Authority.

Thoughts on the NBC show  Aug 5 2012, 02:36:51 PM
I didn't like the show, either. Singing, dancing, original songs, great. The storylines, not enjoyable to me. Skipped over them. Plots, characters--just made me sad. Songs were lovely.
Sutton Foster stars in ABC Family's original series, BUNHEADS -- Thoughts?  Aug 1 2012, 04:59:32 AM
Watched the first 5 minutes. Enjoyed the opening. Then the teens came on, and Sutton panicking with the water leak, and no.

Enjoyed the dressmaker's lines in that water leak scene though. She was funny.

Sutton Foster stars in ABC Family's original series, BUNHEADS -- Thoughts?  Jul 30 2012, 04:02:26 PM
I tried to like it, but I'm just not into the show at all. I don't like SF's acting. There, I said it. And the characters aren't that interesting. I'm trying to find a reason to watch, because I loved GG, ASP and NYC actors getting work. But it's just too annoying. I've watched a little of the dancing, just like I skipped over all the drama and soap stuff in 'Smash' and just watched some of the singing/dancing.

A co-worker once tried to sell a script called--wait for it--Bunheads, a fe

Karen Carpenter  Jun 23 2012, 02:39:13 PM
That 1989 movie used Karen's actual clothing for costumes. Which means they kept her stuff in storage or something.

After her death, Karen's dad often sat in the living room listening to his daughter's albums. :{ Complicated family, but maybe utterly ordinary as well.

Karen Carpenter  Jun 23 2012, 10:21:02 AM
Some type of stage show about the Carpenters will happen at some point, I'll bet. It will be a challenge making the music sound both timeless and specific to the era, and portraying the psychology of fame, family, scrutiny on women in the business, etc. But it'll happen.
Smash -- Series Discussion  Jun 23 2012, 04:03:25 AM
Ivy Lynn wound up not being Mari-lyn. Which means Karen Cartwright would wind up not being Karen Car-penter. Which means another Idol/Broadway hire who looks and sounds the part.
Smash -- Series Discussion  May 16 2012, 12:48:46 PM
Ivy has all this training, experience and chops and no, she is not thick. Her body type is her body type. If she were under or overweight or unhealthy in whatever way, then that'd be cause for concern. But she's fine as she is. Karen's body has obviously been toned by trainers. A body by committee. That's fine, as long as she's healthy.

Ivy keeps getting let down really badly, whether she's professional or not, whether she's kind or not. She can't even tell her troubles to her fair-weat

Smash - Series Discussion  May 15 2012, 11:13:49 AM
Maybe the melody was finished in time for the orchestra to learn it. In less than 4 hours...

Derek doesn't collaborate? Well, he's lucky he's surrounded by such crackerjack theater professionals who magically create and learn everything in no time, or he'd have to choose another line of work.

Smash - Series Discussion  May 15 2012, 10:01:29 AM
Yeah, Karen learning the whole show in one day and a final number in 15 minutes is a bit much with the Mary Sue stuff. But I liked Karen as Marilyn, but I don't like Karen as a character, and I'm not a fan of Katharine McPhee, but I think she pulled it off. Ivy will get her due. Not sure how. Girl needs a break.

The last song was a bit cheesy. Liked that it captured the moment, but it was a little too light and too demonstrative in tone as to the moral of the story.

Smash - Series Discussion  May 8 2012, 01:53:25 PM
That photo looks like Ivy to me.

Ivy will go on as Marilyn, and then she will take too many pills again, and that will require Karen to go on, who will eat a bad crab salad at Legal Sea Food, and then Jessica will go on, and she'll win the Tony.

Why does every actor in a play seem to come from NYU MFA or Yale or Juillli  Apr 26 2012, 04:00:04 AM
nasty_khakis made a great point. It's about the connections. Great actors from other programs might not get that advantage. Harvard et al are the same way--connections to alumni are a big reason why people compete to get into those 'name brand' schools.
Smash - Series Discussion  Apr 4 2012, 07:42:46 PM
Ivy will probably get a stern warning instead of fired. Her bff is the composer and her mom is Bernadette Peters. But she's probably not finished acting out, so, she might push the boundaries further.

Derek never lets Karen finish a sentence. She needs to slap him every time that happens.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You