Karen Carpenter

KylePKJP Profile Photo
KylePKJP
#1Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/22/12 at 10:40pm

I know a lot of people are beyond tired of music catalogues being turned into musicals, but I can't help this feeling that a Karen Carpenter story - if done right - would be incredible.

Anybody else ever think along the same lines, or has there ever been an attempt to do one in the past? I know Richard Carpenter can be less than co-operative about licencing the Carpenters catalogue.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/22/12 at 11:19pm

I love Karen but I do feel the Carpenters catalog is very limited in style and sound . A show comprised of just their work would be very monotone and maudlin. Plus they are very dated and I don't think it would appeal to a large audience.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Owen22
#2Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/22/12 at 11:34pm

Who says a jukebox musical has to honor the "style and sound" of the original recordings? Especially if you're not limiting the score to songs written just for The Carpenters. Karen's songs ran the gamut of emotion and tempo. How well do you really know the catalog, Betty? A lot of the songs have good lyrics and even provide some narrative psychological profiles. There are songs that talk about alien contact as well as songs that discuss our need for nostalgia. A song about a strange young woman with the strange name of "Druscilla Penny" (a possible protagonist?) They're certainly not all "Rainy Days and Mondays". Adjust the songs, use different time signatures and/or arrangements. There is no reason they have to sound mid 70's.

xoffender45
#3Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/22/12 at 11:49pm

I LOVE the Carpenters. But why make it a Karen Carpenter story? Like Owen mentions, their song list is all over the place. Some sort of odd story would work with these songs strung together. Mr. Guder, Jambalaya (On The Bayou), Hurting Each Other, Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft... All totally bizarre songs that would make a pretty decent story.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 1:05am

I just don't see it working, but in the right hands you never know. I know a fair amount about the Carpenters and I just don't see them having the appeal to bring people in. Plus I don't think Richarf would want people changing his arrangements which I would view as very important to updating.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#5Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 2:10am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfZUrcxW-g0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnqjCebSv2k

The songs of the Carpenters were used in a lovely musical version of Anne Frank performed at Orlando Fringe!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 2:17am

Jesus Christ.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 2:25am

Superstar?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#8Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 2:27am

Do you think you're what they say you are?

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#9Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 7:32am

In the manner of "The Hours" where you tell Karen's story and a contemporary tale. I'd see that. I may just go buy the rights now. Oh. Richard.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

KylePKJP Profile Photo
KylePKJP
#10Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 8:40am

I see what some of you are saying. The reason I made the thread was, during a bout of insomnia the other night, I came across the 1989 TV movie The Karen Carpenter Story with Cynthia Gibb on YouTube. For an 80's TV movie it was pretty good and held up.

What caught me what that the music that was used wasn't some of their more "odd" choices on the catalogue. It was mostly their hits, but their placement in the story really punctuated Karen's highs and lows. I thought to myself "If done right (whatever that really means) this could be a good stage show."

Having Mr. Guder or Bless the Beasts and the Children wouldn't serve the story. But a Karen, alone on stage, with the haunting Rainy Days and Mondays in the midst of her struggles with her Mom or illness... or even foreshadowing them... would get me in the gut. Not to mention the A Song For You reprise.

I know it's never going to happen - I'm dreaming - but I still think, with the right selections from the catalogue, you could have a nice off-Broadway show.

Updated On: 6/23/12 at 08:40 AM

Dave19
#11Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 8:47am

I love the idea,

Many of the songs are in a "narrative way" and that creates endless possibilities.

"Together we've been happy, I have very few regrets. The ordinary problems have not been hard to face, but lately little changes have been slowly taking place. You're always finding something is wrong in what I do, but you can't rearrange my life because it pleases you....."

I also love the way the songs are about "singing their thoughts", like in "rainy days and mondays".

It reminds me of the scenes in Disney's Sleeping Beauty, where Aurora is walking in the woods, very calm and singing about her thoughts.

Unfortunately audiences nowadays do not know how to appreciate that anymore. They have the attentionspan of a goldfish so they get bored without a fart joke ruining every scene....

Updated On: 6/23/12 at 08:47 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 8:50am

Yes, Once and Porgy and Bess are just full of fart jokes. Newsies, too. And Memphis. And Evita. And Clybourne Park. And Death of a Salesman. If it weren't for all their fart jokes, those definitely wouldn't have found an audience.

I see your point.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

KylePKJP Profile Photo
KylePKJP
#13Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 8:50am

Dave19... Good point!

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#14Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 9:01am

I love the song "Superstar" by the Carpenters. It's a beautiful, sad song.

That said, if there's room for a Carole King musical, why not a Karen Carpenter one? She had a very tragic life. I think her story is actually all too familiar. It would be worth exploring with the right team. And you need someone very special to play Karen Carpenter-she was a very unique talent. (Her voice was unique and her ability to put all that emotion behind it was really special.)

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#15Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 9:58am

Dreaming - Just curious how her eating disorder and physical change could be potrayed on stage. It is easier to handle that type of weight loss on film than in person. I can't imagine play being done without aneorexia being a main part of the show.

That Groovy Guy Profile Photo
That Groovy Guy
#16Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 10:13am

They could jazz it up a bit with some of her disco songs...My Body Keeps Changing My Mind etc. (Kind of an ironic song title) :o(

"Oh some like it hot, but I like it *really* hot." - Heat Miser

nygrl232 Profile Photo
nygrl232
#17Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 10:21am

Some type of stage show about the Carpenters will happen at some point, I'll bet. It will be a challenge making the music sound both timeless and specific to the era, and portraying the psychology of fame, family, scrutiny on women in the business, etc. But it'll happen.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#18Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 10:53am

yankeefan-I think that if they can do all the special effects they can do nowadays I'd think they might be able to portray her weight loss. I think it's actually an important story in a way for our current times-so many young girls and women battle self-image issues. The media continues to send bad messages about weight loss and being thin.

An idea would be using costumes and makeup so the actress playing the role would not do bodily harm to herself in the making of this. I do think it's a tall order, but there are costume designers and makeup artists who can do a great deal now.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#19Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 12:28pm

dreaming - I have lived first hand with someone battling eating disorder so I agree it would be a important story to tell. Thanks for your input on how it could be done on stage.

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#20Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 12:59pm

A Carpenters musical starring Lisa Brescia has been a dream of mine for a long time. SHOTGUN.

finebydesign Profile Photo
finebydesign
#21Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 1:34pm

I would actually like to see Todd Hayne's Barbie version made into at least an off-broadway musical. A lot of people think the movie was banned from distribution because of Mattel but the music was never cleared, I wonder if that would still be an issue. It's perfect for the New World Stages.

That Anne Frank thing is INSANITY. I love that "Rainy Days and Mondays" are what's "gettin' her down."

Broadway Baby8 Profile Photo
Broadway Baby8
#22Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 2:03pm

She had such a unique voice (and was a pretty good drummer, too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlr-gS1VhWY&feature=related

"Be a Fountain, Not a Drain." --Rex Hudler

nygrl232 Profile Photo
nygrl232
#23Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 2:39pm

That 1989 movie used Karen's actual clothing for costumes. Which means they kept her stuff in storage or something.

After her death, Karen's dad often sat in the living room listening to his daughter's albums. :{ Complicated family, but maybe utterly ordinary as well.

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#24Karen Carpenter
Posted: 6/23/12 at 3:51pm

It's been done