News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for fromthecity

Member Name: fromthecity
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: Bare: A Pop Opera
 Sep 10 2009, 01:34:53 PM
Press release is up: http://losangeles.broadwayworld.com/article/bare_A_Rock_Opera_Returns_To_LA_For_Two_Night_Workshop_102_103_20090904

Tickets are available.

re: What musicals of the last 20 years will be considerred classics fifty y
 Jul 31 2009, 02:19:23 AM
And if Broadway was a place where theater snobs like the above poster were able to decide the sort of material that filled our theaters, it would be long dead.

Welcome to 2009.

The fact that most of you claim you can't think of any classics within the last twenty years and still find a need to post on Broadway message board is beyond me.

re: What musicals of the last 20 years will be considerred classics fifty y
 Jul 30 2009, 03:08:41 PM
I think most people in this thread are having a hard time defining a classic in comparison to what they want and do not want to be a classic.

Because let's face it... there are certain shows that people do not like now that area already classics in their own way. Wicked. Phantom of the Opera. Rent. These are extremely popular shows (two of which are still running - with RENT on tour) and that popularity will not die in the next fifty years. All three of these shows will see a very, very

re: 82nd Academy Awards To Feature 10 Best Picture Nominees, Ceremony Held
 Jun 24 2009, 06:41:27 PM
PGenre, I agree with you that TDK deserved the fifth slot over The Reader. Am I surprised it was not nodded? Absolutely not. Mainstream America are not the audience of voters for AMPAS.

At least this is a nod in a better direction. It allows a wider array of movies to be seen. Last year, for example, our ten nominees could have been: Slumdog Millionaire, Frost/Nixon, Milk, Ben Button, The Reader, The Dark Knight, Doubt, Changeling, Rachel Getting Married, Happy-Go-Lucky

But su

re: 'Footloose' will not be a burst-out-into song movie musical...
 May 31 2009, 04:31:17 AM
I'm only three. Sad face.
re: 'Footloose' will not be a burst-out-into song movie musical...
 May 31 2009, 04:08:33 AM
"I don't think Zac was ever really up for this part. "

Are you retarded? This project was created for him in the first place. Go back to junior high, you f***ng moron.

whats the ave q lyric?
 Apr 16 2009, 03:17:00 AM
Tried searching. Couldn't find it. What did they replace Bush with? And is it on tour as well?

re: McG in talks to Direct/Produce Spring Awakening film
 Apr 15 2009, 04:23:28 AM
Oh gee, my jokes aren't fresh for Craww. I'll have to buy a douche.

I didn't say the B-way kids wouldn't be considered. I said they shouldn't be seriously considered (like, oh, a Matt Doyle Melchior). Though, you're right, if they're going to go for unknowns for the smaller parts .. Emily Kinney or Andrew Durand popping up here and there wouldn't be the worst thing. My point was mainly for the leads.

Regarding the MPAA: "The Ratings Boards may rate a motion picture PG-13 if

re: McG in talks to Direct/Produce Spring Awakening film
 Apr 15 2009, 03:14:40 AM
the f*ck rule is applied to using the word as a reference to sex. You will automatically get an R rating if you use it like "i want you to **** me" or "i want to **** you." Using the f-word as an expletive does not automatically make you qualify for an R rating, especially in an artistic context. Just to let you know.

But there are a bit too many ****s in Totally f**ked. That alone will definitely get them an R rating. But they can definitely argue with the MPAA on that one since it's

re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
 Mar 22 2009, 01:50:18 PM
Sporky, I think you're missing the point. Clearly, you would to have be able to sing to do these parts. Several people in this thread are slamming Anne Hathway's support issues, or saying other women like Kristen Bell or Amy Adams wouldn't be able to sing Glinda because it's so high soprano. But these women do have good voices. Good enough to hit these notes well in the recording studio. Probably not good enough to sing eight times a week. But who cares about that?

And for the many thea

re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
 Mar 21 2009, 04:48:23 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about who can hit what notes. Or Anne Hathaway not having enough support. I'm sure they will be coached and will be able to hit the notes they need to. Remember they only need to hit the notes once ... in the recording booth ... not eight nights a week. Like Rosario Dawson. They made her sound good in Out Tonight. No way she can sing that flawlessly any time of the day, though.

I'd say Anne Hathaway and Amy Adams are some pretty good bets because they can sing,

re: MT colleges for double majors
 Mar 18 2009, 12:21:10 PM
Hold on - some of you are actually spending the time and money to double major...in TWO arts degrees? Are you fuc*ing retarded? Musical Theatre AND Voice?

To the person who started this thread. Please, get at least one real degree so that you don't wake up in twelve years and wonder why you're a substitute teacher.

re: I guess BARE is still happening in SF!
 Feb 14 2009, 02:08:38 PM
Right, it doesn't matter if you've had rehearsals with the Directors - the songs itself are emotional. And it's not like the story is new. Hell, I'm sure more than one of the newbies studied old recordings of the LA and NYC shows.

The budget was what was likely the hardest thing on them, because they probably didn't have the time in the recording studio to go over many of the vocal tracks more than one or two times (with the more climactic songs probably getting a third take...)

re: I guess BARE is still happening in SF!
 Feb 14 2009, 04:24:45 AM
Dear broadwayguy, you are a f*cking idiot. The whole point of being a Broadway actor is to portray emotion through your singing, and unfortunately in this recording, most of the performances failed.

In fact, most of my OBC recordings or movie musical soundtracks well portray emotion. Especially better than Doyle and others in BARE. It's kind of what's required of the job...

re: Rent tour; 'two significant changes to the production'
 Jan 1 2009, 11:14:10 PM
I really don't think they would open with Halloween. That sounds a bit drastic. It would completely alter the entire opening sequence, cutting out that monologue and ruining that energy that begins with RENT.

I seriously doubt that any of these changes regard rewriting the course of the story or the book.

re: Is RENT 100% Larson?
 Jan 1 2009, 11:03:51 PM
Right, after reading that article - how can anybody think that's legitimate at all? A love triangle with two lesbians and a straight guy - and she claims it's taken from her book and thus her life.

It's utterly ridiculous. She's just another selfish lesbian. Maybe that's the one connection she does have to the characters in RENT.

re: Is RENT 100% Larson?
 Jan 1 2009, 04:54:08 PM
K, I love me some RENT as much as the next guy - but really what in it could possibly seem plagiarized from this novel? I haven't read the novel, nor has anybody posted specific instances of plagiarism by RENT - but honestly, the plot of RENT does not seem complicated or intricate enough for any of it to be seen as anything more than a coincidence.

Most art has essentially already been done in another form, or told in another way before. And especially the basic RENT story structure - g

Jon Larson Death
 Dec 14 2008, 08:49:18 PM
Odd question, but was anybody here aware of RENT (or alive) when Jonathan Larson died. I'm just curious whether, in the Bway / NY community, if it was a big deal yet even though it was still just in workshops and not yet a main piece of known theater, or if it wasn't too big of news until the show transfered.
re: Wall E loves Broadway
 Dec 2 2008, 01:23:31 AM
Dear Schmerg,

Go f*ck yourself. Those are people who work hard in marketing and the creative advertising of the feature and deserve to get the credit when it's due. Just because a game or a plush toy is something you buy after the movie does not lessen the amount of time spent working during pre-production and production of the flick.

Disney is one of the few companies (Dreamworks being the only other that comes to mind) that is happy to give credit when it is earned. So many p

re: wicked the movie cast?
 Dec 1 2008, 01:04:15 AM
Again - just because Efron has done several movie musicals doesn't mean that he's going to be first in line to be Fiyero. First of all - Wicked is a movie that isn't PRIMARLY set in high school (only really about half of it) which leads me to believe we will see some late twenty-somethings / thirty year olds filling these parts.

There is no way Efron will be able to play opposite of Amy Adams, let alone the fact that he probably won't want to. When this movie starts to film in the time

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You