pixeltracker

Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast

Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#1Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 9:55am

Ok so you may or may not have heard that there is supposed to be a Wicked movie in 2010. Does anyone know anything about who they are thinking of casting and have any suggestions on who they should cast? Personally, I think the OBC would be great but I'm not so sure Hollywood would agree, sadly.

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 10:01am

Just to warn you, you're gonna get a few nasty replies. This topic has been discussed to death. I would suggest doing a search.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 10:05am

...or just leaving the planet.

There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

broadway_starz
#3re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 10:29am

Are you single? I think I saw you the other day... Updated On: 3/14/09 at 10:29 AM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#4re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 10:35am

ouch, poor thing.

but just to repeat what has been said before, OBC, not a chance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

kristinchenofan570 Profile Photo
kristinchenofan570
#5re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 10:39am

Yeah, my friend posted it as a joke when i wasn't in the room and then i got back and saw all the comments.

Remember when drama was only on the stage?

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#6re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 11:22am

This wouldn't happen but I'd like:
*Kate Shindle as Elphaba
*Becky Gulsvig as G(a)linda
*Cheyenne Jackson as Fiyero
*Victor Garber as Wizard
*Patti LuPone as Morrible
*Leslie Mcdonel as Nessa
*Hunter Bell as Boq

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#7re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 2:37pm

how about, and this is a crazy idea - the original cast in the movie?

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#8re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 2:46pm

I wonder if Hollywood would ever consider Patti. I think it would be amazing.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 2:48pm

Amy Adams - Glinda
Anne Hathaway - Elphaba
Jake Gyllenhaal - Fiyero
Natalie Portman - Nessarose
Tobey Maguire - Boq
Judi Dench - Madama Morrible
Robin Williams - The Wizard

Directed by Baz Luhrman

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#10re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 2:49pm

brodyfosse - love it!

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

mygfdontliveincanada Profile Photo
mygfdontliveincanada
#11re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 2:59pm

Let's think about this from a critical response/dollars and cents point of view...

RENT film with OBC got horrible reviews and bombed at the box office.

THE PRODUCERS film with OBC got mediocre reviews and bombed at the box office.

HAIRSPRAY with an entirely new cast got rave reviews and did well at the box office.

MAMMA MIA with an entirely new cast got rave reviews and did well at the box office.

See the pattern?

For that reason, I would be very surprised if Universal casts any of the Original Broadway Cast members in the film.

Here's my dream cast...

Amy Adams as Glinda
Anne Hathaway as Elphaba
Angela Lansbury as Morrible
Zac Efron as Fiyero
Christopher Walken as The Wizard
Kristen Bell as Nessarose
Unknown as Boq

mygfdontliveincanada Profile Photo
mygfdontliveincanada
#12re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 2:59pm

Sorry. Posted twice by accident!
Updated On: 3/14/09 at 02:59 PM

Alison88
#13re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 3:39pm

Zac Efron and Amy Adams falling for each other would be pretty awk. If you cast either of them, you would have to cast someone age comparable. Judi Dench and Robin Williams are pretty great ideas.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#14re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 3:43pm

I do like discussing this...but there seems to be a new thread about it each week, usually following the exact pattern from the previous threads.

Alas,

I don't have a problem with the OBC not being in it - we've got the recording and endless bootlegs - however having a nod here and there to the 'original' fans would be nice, a few OBC cameos or something.

I'd rather they give Elphaba to an extremely talented relative 'newcomer' - kind of a Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls, Nikki Blonskey in Hairspray, Amanda Seyfried in Mamma Mia!

The major names can be Glinda, Fiyero, Morrible, Wizard and Nessa.

I think the role of Elphaba is far too vital to get right to gamble it on 'star's pull.

jessemurphyman
#15re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 3:46pm

MAMMA MIA got rave reviews?!
I happen to remember a particularly scathing NY Times review that said it was the worst movie of Meryl's career.

PiraguaGuy2
#16re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 3:47pm

Wicked:

Elphaba: Unknown
Glinda: Amy Adams
Fiyero: James Marsden
The Wizard: Robin Williams
Madame Morrible: Shirley MacLaine
Nessarose: Rachel MacAdams
Boq: Roger Bart

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#17re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 4:04pm

PiraguaGuy2, are you kidding? Roger Bart as Boq? I think he's great, but isn't he a bit too old for that part? Boq is a youngster studying at Shiz, Roger Bart is 46. Seems strange.

PiraguaGuy2
#18re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 4:05pm

Never mind. How did I forget he was that old?

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

KirbyCat
#19re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 4:08pm

Wow, all these Madame Morribles sound great... just one addition- Maggie Smith.

SporkGoddess
#20re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 4:36pm

I love the idea of James Marsden as Fiyero.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Amaranth9 Profile Photo
Amaranth9
#21re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 5:19pm

I honestly think that the majority of the criticism RENT received was for Chris Columbus' direction. Many reviews noted that the cast gave strong performances that tried to squeeze as much emotion and energy from what they were given, with particularly good notices for Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Jesse L. Martin, and Idina Menzel.

Sure, they noted that the cast did not look like their characters' ages, but I felt there was a willingness to overlook that. The downfall was the direction. The only really creatively re-imagined scene was "Tango Maureen." They waited too long to make RENT and when they had the chance to make it more current, they passed. Chris Columbus is also very sentimental. I can't even watch the first two Harry Potter movies because of it. In RENT, the gritty, darker, and complex issues were presented cursorily. So a combo of the right director and artistic vision could make it work.

For these reasons I don't really find the arguments about not using people from the various staged productions to be convincing (at least, not in the often cited case of RENT). I don't necessarily want the OBC to be in it, but I do have some favorites that I would like to see. Such people would most likely be "unknowns" to the vast majority of the public.

I really don't care if they cast movie stars for most of the roles instead of stage people (that would actually be exciting, of course), but I do care that whoever plays Elphaba has the vocal power for the role. Singing like Nicole Kidman did in Moulin Rouge, although nice enough, will not (or it shouldn't, imho) cut it for Elphaba. I personally don't feel that the popular suggestions so far do have that strength (and yes, I have listened to several of the clips of various people singing).

I also question the idea that Elphaba needs to look like a regular college-aged person. It is Nessa who is college-aged (18/19), not Elphaba. Thus, with the combination of an imaginary world, suspension of disbelief, the age difference between the sisters, the possibility that the movie will span different time periods, the make-up, and age-effects (eg. X-men, Benjamin Button), an older than college-aged looking actress could conceivably play Elphaba.

Also, many are assuming that stage actors cannot act on film. I agree that might be true, but I think its silly to dismiss all the actors related to the production for this reason. Several do have screen/film experience. I would think that casting would consider possibilities among the Wicked casts and perhaps do small tests. If they will do auditions rather than offer the roles to people they already have in mind, why not?

Again, I realize that it may not be likely and I actually don't favor the OBC, but I just think the arguments against stage actors in the film have some holes, or the arguments for them can be more nuanced than "so-and-so IS this character!" etc.

As for a suggestion that I don't think has come up, what about Brittany Murphy for Elphaba? She did do her own singing in Happy Feet and seems more suited to Elphaba's personality, but perhaps her vocals have the same issues I raised.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#22re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 5:40pm

I think Michael Caine would be a great wizard.

toanythingtaboo 2 Profile Photo
toanythingtaboo 2
#23re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 6:04pm

The problem they will have is deciding what age bracket to make the leading trio.

Realistic casting age would be something like; Zac Efron (Fiyero) and Brittany Snow (Galinda) etc.

...and then stretching reality a bit; Anne Hathaway (Elphaba), Amy Adams (Glinda) and James Marsden (Fiyero) etc.

Mactor327
#24re: Wicked the Movie- Who should be in the cast
Posted: 3/14/09 at 7:37pm

I LOVE THIS CAST...
Amy Adams - Glinda
Anne Hathaway - Elphaba
Jake Gyllenhaal - Fiyero
Natalie Portman - Nessarose
Tobey Maguire - Boq
Judi Dench - Madama Morrible
Robin Williams - The Wizard

Directed by Baz Luhrman