MT colleges for double majors

MTkid2
#1MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/17/09 at 11:47am

What are good colleges that are academically prestigious but also good for Musical Theater? I'd prefer a BFA program but BA is good too
Thanks!

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#2re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/17/09 at 12:13pm

UMICH! you can double major or minor.

MTkid2
#2re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/17/09 at 2:18pm

thanks! are there any others?

bwaylvsong
#3re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/17/09 at 4:14pm

I go to Brandeis University, where I'm double-majoring in MT (which is technically a concentration within the theatre major) and Vocal Performance (within the music major), but you could double with anything else you want. In fact, I have a friend that's doing MT and pre-Med.

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#4re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/17/09 at 9:15pm

NYU! Best there is! (But I'm biased :) )

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

Theaterdude103
#5re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/17/09 at 9:45pm

Can you Double Major with Cap 21 at NYU?

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#6re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/18/09 at 7:03am

Is it common for people to double major in MT and dance?

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#7re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/18/09 at 10:39am

I also agree, U of M.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#8re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/18/09 at 10:56am

Either Univ. of Michigan or Northwestrn are your two best bets.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

fromthecity
#9re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/18/09 at 12:21pm

Hold on - some of you are actually spending the time and money to double major...in TWO arts degrees? Are you fuc*ing retarded? Musical Theatre AND Voice?

To the person who started this thread. Please, get at least one real degree so that you don't wake up in twelve years and wonder why you're a substitute teacher.

bwaylvsong
#10re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/18/09 at 1:23pm

I think the last comment was directed towards me, and to be honest, if you're getting a BA from a prestigious university, it doesn't really matter what you major in. And, at least for me, it doesn't cast any extra time or money to double-major. And since I want to pursue careers in MT AND opera, I kind of need proper training in both. After I graduate, I plan on getting a teaching license (since I'm not "fuc*ing retarded"), since I have no real interests outside of the arts, and I wouldn't mind teaching if I don't make it as a performer.

MTkid2
#11re: MT colleges for double majors
Posted: 3/18/09 at 10:00pm

thanks, my double major isn't an art, I was looking at both of those schools, does Yale just have Drama and no MT?

Videos