News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for jnb9872

jnb9872 Profile Photo
Member Name: jnb9872
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

One Shubert Alley gift shop to close October 2  Sep 19 2022, 10:41:21 AM

This one hurts... what a wonderful little space filled with such memories.

Instruments associated with one specific musical  Jan 27 2021, 05:20:08 PM
Stumbled upon this old thread randomly, wanted to add the prominent harmonica solo in "The Dance of the Golden Crock" from FINIAN'S RAINBOW, as wonderfully performed by Guy Davis in the last revival.
Worst Show Logo?  Dec 4 2015, 11:53:34 PM

I like the PHANTOM OF THE OPERA broken-glass text treatment... but the famous mask logo makes zero sense. Unless I've been mistaken all these years: does the Phantom ever wear a half-face mask that covers both eyes? How did that mask become a universally-recognized visual emblem of the show even though the phantom's one-sided face mask has become a universally-recognized costume piece? 

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?  Dec 4 2015, 11:39:38 PM

Haterobics, that wasn't quite what I was guessing. I think 1776 is way more well-known than the typical Encores! selection, and wouldn't be surprised if someone had eyes to test the waters there for a full-scale revival (again, election year and all, and also HAMILTON has revived the founding fathers as a vogue topic.) A revival would likely mess with performance rights. 

Lizzie, good point about the n-word in BIG RIVER, and I don't think either of my suggestions would

What should NBC's next Live Musical Be?  Dec 4 2015, 04:44:38 PM

If they keep going in the direction of a somewhat-traditional family-friendly musical that is based on a more-well-known property, CHARLIE BROWN would make sense, but I wonder if ABC's rights to the animated specials would conflict (either legally or strategically.)

I humbly propose BIG RIVER as a thought, which covers family-friendly and based on more familiar material, or 1776 (family-friendly, certainly 3 hrs long, and likely relevant after a Presidential election.) But Encores!

SPRING AWAKENING Needs a  Sep 15 2015, 10:30:25 PM

^^ if that encourages editors to just let takes last unedited for longer and longer I wouldn't mind. Even if that requires extensive shooting without an audience, for posterity's sake. But costs get prohibitive at a certain point.

Genres of music that you'd love to hear more of in musicals.  Sep 14 2015, 09:37:17 PM

When I was in London a few years back I arrived just after the shuttering of THE HARDER THEY COME, a musical adaptation of the Jimmy Cliff-led reggae film. I have never seen a reggae musical but imagine that, if an interesting and entertaining one were possible, that would have been a great candidate. I wonder if anyone saw it (or has seen any other productions of it?)

I also would love more roots/bluegrass/folk music. Genres with rich traditions of narrative music that have been under-

Ken Davenport responds to SPONGEBOB musical:  Sep 1 2015, 09:16:58 PM

A few scattered thoughts:

Ken Davenport is the last person to throw stones here. 

That list of composers contributing to the score is surprisingly genre-diverse and very-accomplished. I agree with someone's earlier sentiment about Coulton and hoping his irreverent voice could be a connective tissue, but I think he tweeted that he only wrote one song for the show. Perhaps They Might Be Giants, having written a few children's music albums as well as their own decad

Shuffle along casting  Aug 9 2015, 10:43:11 PM

One of those HAMILTON men could be Jonathan Groff, so...

Plus, surely there will be other men in other Musicals this season. I would normally expect a category dominated by one or two shows exclusively to occur in a very top-heavy season with few stand-out shows.

Why Doesn't Broadway Sell Ice Cream at Intermission  Aug 9 2015, 10:39:16 PM

I think it probably has to do with the storage of dairy products. You'll notice that the only food and beverage for sale are easily packaged and stored for long periods of time. 

I saw that FINDING NEVERLAND had slush machines for margaritas, so clearly some theatre owners and/or bartending companies are thinking this sort of thing might be worth it.

Shuffle along casting  Aug 9 2015, 04:24:19 PM

Also, to stay on topic: good grief that casting is loaded with talent!

Shuffle along casting  Aug 9 2015, 04:19:02 PM

Without knowing anything about the original SHUFFLE ALONG or this new production, only going by what's written, I can see how they might actually succeed in getting to be a Revival.

As Mr. Nowack points out, a new book is usually allowed for a Revival. Significant alterations to CABARET, YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN and PORGY AND BESS (among others) didn't stop them. CANDIDE and ANYTHING GOES, shows that have had multiple different iterations, also have been nominated as Revival

Most Anticipated Broadway Shows Opening This Fall  Aug 8 2015, 05:27:39 PM

Depending on our definition of "fall" HAMILTON and NOISES OFF are my two most anticipated.

Also, KING CHARLES III (for the writing), A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE (for the direction) and FOOL FOR LOVE (for the actors.) 

Is it possible to like Hamilton if you hate rap?  Aug 8 2015, 04:28:40 PM

Um, jnb, where did I ever say that subject matter is primarily the way I judge music? I love how people put words in others' mouths.

The point of my question there was to illustrate how your request was based on a faulty premise: it's similar to the old, "when did you stop beating your wife?" example. I would not suggest that you primarily judge music that way, but your question presupposed a definition of the genre that I would encourage you to expand beyond. So I simply

Is it possible to like Hamilton if you hate rap?  Aug 8 2015, 11:02:55 AM

Please post examples of the other genres which FOCUS on partying and objectifying women. 

Sure, if you'll post examples of other genres of music that you define primarily by subject matter rather than form and composition. 

I have just as little interest in misogynistic songs or artists, but it doesn't mean I write rap off as a genre. Just misogynistic rap. 

My only qualm is not judging others' tastes here, but

Is it possible to like Hamilton if you hate rap?  Aug 7 2015, 01:01:01 PM

I categorize all of rap the same way because I see it performed all the time on tv, for all the years it's been around and that's the only kind  I've seen. Never saw any other kind.

Totally fair, but you also might draw the conclusion that you hate music you see performed on tv.

For years, I was an "anything but Country" music listener. Then listening to Wilco and Drive-By Truckers got me into Alt-Country like Son Volt, the Jayhawks, Lucinda Williams and Ry

Is it possible to like Hamilton if you hate rap?  Aug 6 2015, 11:23:31 PM

I would caution anyone against painting all of rap being any one particular thing, just as I would caution anyone from suggesting all country or classical sounds the same. After all, the range between Hank Williams and Garth Brooks or Bach and Stravinsky is as massive as the range between Kendrick Lamar and Iggy Azalea.

Rap is a musical form, and whether you like it or not likely depends on what you've heard done with rap. What Lin does with rap you may like a lot more th

Hamilton Previews  Aug 5 2015, 12:24:02 PM

I have to imagine "lazy Susan" was a reference not to Mr. Kail or his direction, but simply to the turntable, like one might find on a countertop. 

Joey, Kad, your opinions are highly trustworthy to me, and your praise for this has me guardedly anticipating one of the more special entertainments of my lifetime. I'm eagerly awaiting my chance to get to see it!

Theater and the Grammys  Jul 28 2015, 10:13:08 AM

^^ it's most likely that a vast number of the voters didn't see any of the shows, since they aren't voting on the show; they're voting on the album. And if there's any identifiable bias in just looking at the recent winners, from the last decade or so, it's that the voters generally prefer contemporary-sounding musicals to more traditional Broadway. The kind of music that would win in other categories. WEST SIDE STORY in 2010 seems to be an exception to that, but it's competitors weren't grou

Theater and the Grammys  Jul 27 2015, 12:10:44 PM

Fun tidbits for HAMILTON's likely Grammy nomination: Lin-Manuel already won a Grammy for IN THE HEIGHTS' cast recording, and the HAMILTON recording is being produced by ?uestlove and Black Thought, who as members of the Roots have three Grammys to their name already.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You