News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GreenGables

GreenGables Profile Photo
Member Name: GreenGables
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/24/17  Dec 29 2017, 09:22:01 AM

HogansHero said: "Mike66 said: "Warbucks2 said:
Shows with high nuts are most often matchedto big theatresthat can bring in a high enough potential gross to recoup in a year if the showplayed on average at ~75% gross potential. That must be a magic number that investors can stomach. Shows playing in smaller theatres virtuallyalways have a significantly smaller nut compared to their large theatre counterparts. So we can probably assume correctly this has a smaller th

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 12/3/17  Dec 4 2017, 03:30:58 PM

Didn't meteor shower do a 7 show week last week (taking the day off after opening on Wednesday) ?

Longest Runs That Never Recouped  Nov 22 2017, 01:35:14 PM

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Rock of Ages never recouped, right?"

This was a joke...right? RIGHT?

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/19/17  Nov 20 2017, 06:08:25 PM

raddersons said: "
I'm not really sure where to bring this up, but I figure this is the place. How is rent typically dealt withat atheater? Is the theater given a percentage of the profits from the show, on top of just the charge of taking up the space? Or is it the same as an apartment or business - flat rate, monthly charge, regardless of how much money the show is making?

Obviously it's all contractual and every situation is going to be a little different,

Way too early 2018 Tony Predictions Thread  Nov 17 2017, 02:12:32 PM

I did a quick glance and I dont think anyone has said this, but look for Meteor Shower to be a major contender come nomination season.  I could actually see Benanti taking home a win for this one - she is truly insane in this show.  Set is pretty inventive too.  Script is a bit zany to win new play, but I've seen weirder things, like when LEAP OF FAITH was nominated for best new musical and then closed before the Tonys...

Hundred Days at NYTW  Nov 16 2017, 11:28:32 AM

I was there last night! Got so much sharper from Under The Radar.  I was in tears! Abigail Bengson's voice is insane, and I think the rest of the band has found orchestrations that work for them a lot more.  I hope they do a cast recording!

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/5/17  Nov 7 2017, 08:53:29 AM

Play Esq. said: "I hope not. I feel incredibly sorry for any tourist or non-regular theatergoer who found their way to the Cort these past few weeks."

*years

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 11/5/17  Nov 6 2017, 03:46:00 PM

DAMN meteor shower.  Also pleasantly surprised that Jason Mraz had that much of a pull for Waitress ( I can only assume that is where the bump comes from)

Meteor Shower Advance  Oct 25 2017, 03:47:25 PM

I feel like more people are talking about this show as being a Steve Martin show, whereas I remember a common complaint on these boards being that no one knew that he was involved with Bright Star.  So maybe his star power is at least helping a little bit (plus this show actually has some marketing power behind it).

Off-broadway: THE BENGSONS  Oct 25 2017, 03:45:20 PM

I saw a run of "Hundred Days" that was at the Public Theater's Under The Radar festival this past winter and was completely dazzled by it.  I had never heard of them before that but apparently they've been working on that show for a few years now.  Not sure how much has changed since then but would recommend trying to see Hundred Days at NYTW if you can get tickets (looks like a few shows have already sold out)

Meteor Shower Advance  Oct 25 2017, 02:50:15 PM

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but WOW did anyone expect Amy Schumer to be this much of a box office draw?  I would've thought the news around Alan Tudyk departing might shake some ticket buyers, but it appears not to have been the case.  Advance expected to be $8mm by first preview!

http://nypost.com/2017/10/24/amy-schumer-is-an-even-bigger-broadway-star-than-predicted/

How much money do investors give?  Oct 20 2017, 02:16:11 PM

Ohhhh my favorite topic! (AKA the only one I know something about)

To go back to the OP's question, producers often set official 'minimums', that are typically $10k for a broadway play and $25k for a musical.  Sometimes, if something is expected to be a bit hit, you'll be capped at what you can invest too, based on your relationship with the producer / how early you sign on.  I had heard that board members of The Public were generally 'allowed' to

Who's the Most Famous Person on this Board?  Sep 28 2017, 02:20:03 PM

Alex Kulak2 said: "I know Adam Guettel pops in from time to time, but are there any other notable performers, writers, composers, etc., who have accounts on this forum?"

I mean, Hogan is my personal Hero, but I assume that's not exactly what you meant.

How Much Does It Cost To Put On A Show? Kinky Boots' Initial Budget  Sep 26 2017, 03:04:20 PM

HogansHero said: "@Gaveston, you can't have or not have umbrage without knowing and understanding the reported figures. I agree that creatives have worked a lot, generally, and are and should be well compensated, but the reported figure hereis roughly $3.5mil, which is a freakishly lot of money. As I said earlier, it is misleading to focus on what the actors get, because most of their comp comes out of a different budget."

Also just to clear up any confusion - ca

How Much Longer Does WAITRESS Have?  Sep 15 2017, 03:28:08 PM

Valentina3 said: "There is no way producers would let this die out so quickly. If nothing else, I expect Sara to come back for a brief stint at the very least."

I think you're on the nose here.  The Weissler's are known for stunt casting, and I can't imagine they wouldn't pull out all of the stops for their most recent darling.  I could see Sara coming back, and maybe a few other celebrities, at least to get them through next summer

SUNDAY revival recoups and cast recording released in June  Sep 11 2017, 10:15:14 AM

It is 100% coming, but last I heard we were looking at ~October as Sondheim was overseeing post-production and wanted to make sure it is up to his standards.  Not a money issue (the show did very well for a limited run)

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17  Aug 21 2017, 05:20:16 PM

VintageSnarker said: "Call_me_jorge said: "GreenGables said: "I wonder if the Brooks will be OPENING UP anytime soon...

They just announced a rush policy. So unless they have a big star lined up after Betsy, it doesn't look too good. 

I don't know what Sara's schedule is like with other projects or tours but if sales were really dire I can't see her not stepping back into the show to boost the box office again. Ma

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 8/20/17  Aug 21 2017, 03:26:15 PM

I wonder if the Brooks will be OPENING UP anytime soon...

IF AND OF ITSELF - Daryl Roth Theatre  Aug 15 2017, 01:05:47 PM

JBroadway said: "I've been meaning to see this, but I have to say, your comparison to Privacy really lessened my interest. I thought Privacy was pretty bad. How similar is it to Privacy, would you say? 

"

HA, sorry.  What I meant was more that it has a 'story' do it, but is really primarily more about the illusions / tricks / OH SH*T HOW DO THEY DO THAT moments than the story telling elements.  You'll get into

IF AND OF ITSELF - Daryl Roth Theatre  Aug 15 2017, 12:39:37 PM

I just saw a performance of IF AND OF ITSELF this weekend, having had no previous knowledge of the show at all, and I have to say it was one of the most strangely entertaining and oddly compelling off-broadway show I had seen in a long time. 

It bills itself as a magic-ish show, but really reminds me more of PRIVACY with Daniel Radcliffe at The Public last year.  Kind of like a very cool Ted Talk.  I don't want to ruin any of the surprises, so I won't go too into

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You