News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GiveMyRegards212

Member Name: GiveMyRegards212
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

2018 Tony Eligibility Rulings, Round #4 (FINAL)
 Apr 30 2018, 10:33:36 AM

As of the writing of the 2017-2018 rules, that was not a rule like that. It says each category should have four nominees except there can be between 5-8 for performance categories if there are 7+ candidates, director & choreographer will have 5 if there are 7 candidates in each, and for show categories, if there are more than 9, there could be a 5th nominee if "the difference in votes between the fourth highest ranked show and the fifth highest ranked show is three votes or less". The rules say nothing about other categories like design or orchestrations. And I can't find an official statement from the Tonys saying the rules have been changed.

On Page 10 of the Tony rules: 

ii) There shall be no more than four nominees in each category; provided:
(A) Best Performance Categories.
i) That if there are at least seven eligible candidates for nomination in any of the eight established “Best Performance” categories, then there shall be five nominees in that category. ii) In the event that there is a two-way or three-way tie for the last slot of nominations in any of the eight established “Best Performance” categories, both or all three of those Actors or Actresses shall be nominated.
(B) Best Direction of a Play/Best Direction of a Musical Categories. If there are at least seven eligible candidates for nomination, then there shall be five nominees in that category;
(C) Best Choreography Category. If there are at least seven eligible candidates for nomination, then there shall be five nominees in that category.

iii) Show Categories. The number of nominees in each of the four “Best Show” categories shall be determined in the following manner:
(A) Where there are nine or more eligible shows in a Best Show category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for four eligible shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot shall be collected and tabulated by a representative of the Accounting Firm. The four eligible shows with the highest number of votes will automatically be designated as the nominees in such category. A fifth nominee shall be added to the category in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between the fourth highest ranked show and the fifth highest ranked show is three votes or less. The Tony Awards® • Rules and Regulations 2017–2018 11
(B) Where there are five or fewer eligible shows in a Best Show category, at the Tony Nominating Meeting, the Nominating Committee will be instructed to cast one vote each for three eligible shows as nominees on his/her secret ballot. Such ballot shall be collected and tabulated by a representative of the Accounting Firm. The three eligible shows with the highest number of votes will automatically be designated as the nominees in such category. A fourth nominee shall be added to the category in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between the third highest-ranked show and the fourth highest-ranked show is three votes or less.

Source: https://www.tonyawards.com/pdf/2018_Tony_Rules.pdf

Apr 30 2018, 09:18:52 AM

When was that rule established? It's never been there in past years

Apr 30 2018, 09:07:19 AM

Why does it say nothing about this 5 nominee rule change on the official Tony press release? Nor the Playbill article? Where did Broadayworld get this information from?

https://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/news/articles/2018-04-27/2018-04-27_tony_awards_eligibility_for_2018_part_4.html

http://www.playbill.com/article/tony-awards-determine-eligibility-for-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-mean-girls-more

Public Theater Season
 May 23 2016, 11:01:28 PM

I searched and couldn't find anything about this. The Public announced their new season a couple days ago. I'm particularly excited for Nia Vardalos. I'm a big fan and would love to see her live on stage.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/The-Publics-2016-17-Season-to-Feature-Nia-Vardalos-David-Byrnes-Alex-Timbers-Helmed-SAINT-JOAN-GENTLY-DOWN-THE-STREAM-with-Harvey-Fierstein-More-20160519

SIGNATURE PLAYS-Albee, Fornes, Kennedy
 May 20 2016, 01:03:28 PM

I love all these plays on their own. I hope I have time to see this.

Sutton Foster to lead SWEET CHARITY Off-Broadway Revival!
 May 20 2016, 01:02:06 PM

I am so excited. I think she has just the right about of charisma and bright energy that is needed for Charity. She is a true triple threat, and I don't understand those saying she won't be able to dance this.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You