News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LLJ3

Member Name: LLJ3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Idina Menzel announces engagement
 Sep 25 2016, 03:04:13 PM

gypsy101 said: "wow i didn't even know she was dating anyone! congrats to her (wasn't aware of who the guy was but he was in the movie versions of Newsies and Rent so that's cool)

"

He also played Dean Portman in Mighty Ducks 2 and 3. Even cooler for this 90s kid. LOL

Riedel on Hamilton making other shows close fast
 Jun 28 2016, 11:18:05 PM

Such BS. I saw Hamilton (bought a ticket from Stubhub an hour before the show) and 5 other shows last month, including American Psycho. Wasn't interested in seeing Tuck Everlasting or Shuffle Along. Would have wanted to see Bright Star but not over the other shows that I saw. 

My friends who live in New York have been wanting to see Hamilton but are unwilling to pay premium prices / scalpers. This hasn't deterred them from seeing other shows. 

Just cu

Recording Broadway/West End Shows?
 Jun 22 2016, 06:10:18 AM

It's illegal. No need for quotation marks. 

Having it happen "all the time" doesn't make it okay.

Broadway in Chicago Season Tickets - Hamilton
 Jun 22 2016, 06:02:24 AM

Call me crazy but I'm thinking that Karen Olivo might be in the Chicago cast. Just a wild guess based on her tweets and retweets.

Toronto High School's 'Tribute' to Hamilton
 Jun 15 2016, 09:15:00 PM

I watched the Yorktown video a few hours ago and saw a comment saying that it was illegal (from someone on this board, maybe?). That comment is gone now. I guess only comments praising the videos are allowed. SMH.

Not the first and won't be the last case though. This video of Satisfied from an Indonesian high school has over 143,000 views -- those kids clearly saw a bootleg and copied the staging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTXJCQv_cg

Broadway carpool karaoke
 Jun 7 2016, 12:53:40 PM

JTF cracked me up, from saying something like "I've never been nominated for a Tony" to telling Jane "No" during Can't Take My Eyes Off You to pushing Jane away during One Day More. Too funny!

Wish the segment was longer! 

Benjamin Walker is going to be a dad!
 Jun 7 2016, 12:32:58 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGW51WBi9FF

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGW7v0nqTx_/

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
 Jun 7 2016, 12:27:56 PM

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert 

American Psycho - if you LIKED it, post here
 Jun 6 2016, 04:04:23 PM

Count me in as someone who loved the show. Went in blind - haven't read the book or seen the movie - but had an idea of the basic premise. My friends and I all loved the music, performances, and the staging. And since we all hadn't read the source material, we had a lively discussion after the show regarding the ending. LOL

American Psycho - closing week audiences
 Jun 5 2016, 02:30:31 PM

Alice Ripley tweeted a link to an interview she gave with Stage Door Dish: http://stagedoordish.com/alice-ripley-opens-up-about-her-experience-in-american-psycho-her-hopes-for-the-musicals-legacy-and-working-on-unattached-with-emily-skinner/

It's an interesting read. Quoting a (lengthy, sorry!) portion below. I understand where she's coming from when she said the producers could have exploited her track record and Tony to get more people to watch the show but I have to disagree. I don't think the show could have been improved if she had her own song (wouldn't really have fit into the show. Unless they added a flashback with a younger Patrick, maybe?) and while I'm a fan of hers, I don't think her name would be a draw to tourists who aren't exactly musical theater nerds. 

That said, it's a shame that the show is closing so early. Like most of you, I hope it gets a cast recording -- the London recording is so different from the show I saw. 

I could not agree more. When I went to see it, it was a full house. It’s also what I would consider the most talked about show of the season. People really want to discuss it. It genuinely surprises me that you are closing.

I’ve enjoyed this experience from the beginning. Even before it started, I enjoyed my audition. I think my favorite part of it so far is how the audience is behind us right now. It feels so good because, honestly, we all do it for whoever’s in the audience. It’s all been great. I think there are a lot of pressures for a Broadway house these days and a lot of them involve money. Sometimes there’s nothing they can do, and you just have to cut your losses and pull out. It was also a very competitive season. In a different season, this show would have ruled. In all fairness, it would have been nice to have my own song. I have definitely earned that. I don’t feel slighted at all because I don’t have it but it would have only made it better.

I agree. One of the critiques I hear most frequently from people is, ‘Alice Ripley is so underutilized in this production.’ 

We’re here to be candid, so I’ll be that way with you. Let’s be honest, this is a job in my hometown. I’ve been on the road for a number of years. Not only is it a Broadway show, but of course I want to be involved in something new with people that I know and respect. Why wouldn’t you say yes? If there was a promise that they would develop the role, that makes it even better. In this case, there was actually a promise, and it wasn’t really developed. To be in their court for a minute, this is the London production. That sets the tone for everything afterward and that’s what you fall back on. It’s not really 100% brand new but to me it is.

Again, I love being part of the ensemble. I love not having to sing 38 songs and carry the show. It’s a nice break, and I know how to be in the ensemble. It’s just, to be candid, it would have benefited everybody if they had given me my own song. It doesn’t take rocket scientists to figure that out. I’m not saying the show would have run any longer or anything would have been different, but the fans would have enjoyed it. I’ve seen some of the other shows in town. You can see when a song was written for a singer. It can still be there to tell the story. First of all, with any musical, it’s absolutely imperative. There’s no time to linger and show off. If you want to show off, you have to tell the story at the same time. When you can hit that at the right moments in the course of the arc of the show, then you’ve got it, if you do it earnestly and in a way that doesn’t insult the audience’s intelligence. I would never want them to do anything like that. Don’t you agree?

I definitely do.

I never would have mentioned it if you hadn’t brought it up. I’ve been perfectly happy, and I mean that, but when you look at it from a business perspective on how to get people into the theatre, I do have a track record and a Tony award. They should have exploited that. I haven’t said this to anybody yet. This is pretty personal, but since we’re closing, I might as well be honest.

To listen to the cast recording or not
 Jun 5 2016, 12:11:07 PM

I generally don't listen to the entire recording but I watch clips on Youtube of guestings or promo reels to see if the show would be something I'd be interested in. That said, I went into Hamilton blind and was shocked at how long the show was. I was sick and jetlagged when I saw it so I had to keep pinching myself during the second act to keep myself from falling asleep. (I was successful, FYI. LOL) It didn't keep me from enjoying the show though. Weeks after, I'm still

What are the worst musicals you ever saw
 Jun 5 2016, 11:51:11 AM

I let my sister choose a show during a trip to New York a few years ago (since I chose the other 2 shows) and she chose Godspell. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to musicals but I thought that show was such a waste of my time and money.

I've only left a show at intermission once - a college production of Hair. Willing to give the show another shot but will probably wait for a professional production.

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You