News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for green waver

Member Name: green waver
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Could this be the end of live theater, period?  Apr 12 2020, 10:54:55 PM

Someone please remind me to revisit this thread in five years. I think it'll be a feel good moment for all of the posters-and especially Jordan! Hopefully we'll all be around to repost.

One Song Roleshm  Feb 6 2020, 10:45:07 PM

John Adams said: "Molasses to Rum from 1776. Momma Look Sharp and He Plays the Violin are runner-ups, but each is eventually joined by additional cast members."

All true, and I would add Dickinson's song-Cool Cool Considerate Men, For some reason, 1776 is rife with one off numbers by very supporting characters. It's part of the show's charm.

What would you see if you had a time machine and tickets to 3 shows?  Jan 28 2020, 06:02:20 PM

1. John Raitt in the original Carousel.

2. Lee J. Cobb in Death of a Salesman. My dad saw it when he was in fact a salesman on the road; he said it was devestating.

3. Opening night of My Fair Lady.

4. A Chorus Line, either at the Public or just after its uptown transfer, as long as its original cast.

Johnny Depp to Produce New Michael Jackson Musical Told From His Glove's Point of View  Nov 30 2019, 11:03:00 AM

You can almost imagine Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder pausing to read this script while looking for a surefire flop.

Any musicals with numbers at the start?  Nov 23 2019, 07:28:04 PM

Two Gentlemen of Verona.

re: Meaning of 'Being Alive' from Company  Nov 4 2019, 12:08:18 PM

I hope this doesn't sound condescending, but I have never found Being Alive to be an especially opaque lyric. I don't think audiences do either. When I saw  the original and the 95 revival, after Bobby sings Somebody hold me too close, I heard "Awws" from the audience, as if to say "He finally gets it." Now that may not jibe with everyone's interpretation of the song, but its certainly one that many people take with them by the curtain.

Linda Lavin on the Allergist's Wife reading, Neil Simon, and Hal Prince  Nov 4 2019, 11:56:05 AM

Her remarks on Hal Prince provide a welcome contrast to those of another Mama Rose who was recently interviewed.

LuPone on Sondheim, ALW, Laurents, Prince and more  Oct 23 2019, 09:14:27 AM

JBC3 said: "She's been called sassy, brassy, bold, and a diva for so long, I sometimes wonder if she plays to the hype. Is she playing a bit of a character or revealing her true character?"

I definitely think your'e on to something, coming on as a no bull**** tell-it- like - it -is broad  IS playing to a type, and helps make her a more marketable commodity.

LuPone on Sondheim, ALW, Laurents, Prince and more  Oct 22 2019, 11:08:04 PM

I so wish she had taken the high road and passed on telling the Prince story. Rehashing a 40 year old incident(that , if truth be told, sounds extremely trivial with a bit of distance) just makes her sound petty and vindictive.

What composer has the best singing voice?  Oct 19 2019, 01:45:47 PM

I wouldn't  go so far as to argue he's a great natural singer, but to hear Cole Porter sing Anything Goes or You're The Top while accompanying himself is really something. Of course the songs themselves help.

Is Wicked doing okay?  Oct 16 2019, 11:10:49 AM

Mister Matt said: "Whatever the future portends for Wicked, the producers achieved their ultimate goal~IT OUTRAN AVENUE Q!! Without having to play Vegas!

The ultimate goal of every producer is to make money. Avenue Q's run is irrelevant to the producers of Wicked.
"

I sincerely hope you realize that I was joking

Is Wicked doing okay?  Oct 15 2019, 11:30:37 PM

Whatever the future portends for Wicked, the producers achieved their ultimate goal~IT OUTRAN AVENUE Q!! Without having to play Vegas!

Favorite 11 o'clock number? (showstopper)  Oct 12 2019, 11:34:49 PM

I'm not totally sure if it's a true 11:00 number(it's really the finale), but Make Our Garden Grow is a timeless, stirring classic.

Favorite 11 o'clock number? (showstopper)  Oct 12 2019, 07:15:48 PM

Excellent post, poison! while I don't agree with all of your choices, your reasoning and your expression of it are truly eloquent. Yours should be the final word on the subject.

Favorite 11 o'clock number? (showstopper)  Oct 12 2019, 12:13:08 PM

musicaltheatrechick said: "I think The Ladies Who Lunch from Company is a great one."

Not to split hairs, but "Being Alive" is Company's 11;00 number. Ladies Who Lunch, an indisputably great song, could be called the 10;45 number.

Opinions about JUDY  Oct 8 2019, 12:07:20 AM

Even the scenes in Mommie Dearest with Howard DaSilva as L.B. Mayer were superior to the Judy scenes. And yes, TE, a more three dimensional portrayal of Garland's handlers would have been more honest. By the way, one detail bothered me-when the unnamed songwriters(of course Arlen and Harburg) played Over The Rainbow for Garland,she hadn't even been cast yet. Didn't they write it with her in mind, AFTER she had gotten the part?

Opinions about JUDY  Oct 7 2019, 07:27:36 PM

TotallyEffed said: "Almira said: "Zellweiger gives s largely one-note performance, not much deepthor weight. What you see in the first 10 minutes is exactly the samething you see for the next 90 minutes...,and not being a force of nature herself, her singing is at moments embarrassing especially when everyone around her is describing it as this rare god-given gift to the world.

A slog of a film to endure.
"

At last, a voice of reason. While not

Lara Spencer Laughs at boys in ballet  Aug 28 2019, 11:31:41 PM

I waited until I had actually watched her piece before I weighed in. My observations:

1. Those who claim the object of her humor was ridiculing Georges parents for overloading him with extraciriculars are being disingenuous. Listen to her inflections-she clearly used ballet as the punchline in her piece. And after all, no one laughs at parents who enroll six year old boys in kindersoccer or T ball, and sarcastically comments Let's see h

Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording  Jul 1 2019, 11:42:25 PM

Lets not forget that R&H personally approved the casting of Joan Roberts and Shirley Jones. It's certainly going too far to insist that their appearance, acting, and sopranoey singing are an anachronism, and this Laurie is now the only valid interpretation.

Best Musicals NOT recouping?  Sep 10 2018, 03:14:06 PM

I've always read the original production of COMPANY did turn a small profit. Anyone out there know this for a fact?

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You