News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for LYLS3637

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
Member Name: LYLS3637
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 04:28:51 PM

I'm bummed about this one. Not that I thought it was any kind of game-changer, but I found Lempicka much more engaging and entertaining than most new productions this season (and some from last season too).

And I still don't understand why the historical inaccuracies had so many critics outraged-- as if Amadeus and Evita aren't riddled with dramatic license (or The Sound of Music and Hamilton for that matter). Criticism of the book and character development I completely und

The Who's Tommy - Tony winner: 1993 Best Original Score  May 3 2024, 04:07:19 PM

To be fair, a huge chunk of the 1975 lyrics did not make it to the musical. Nor did the songs specifically written for the film. 

Lempicka false advertising  Apr 22 2024, 11:57:39 AM

I find it hilarious that those criticizing some of the pro-Lempicka reactions to the reviews are now having such a similar overreaction to this ad. 

Next to Normal Broadway Revival?  Apr 19 2024, 04:03:23 PM

Caissie sounded brilliant at the Olivier Awards. At the same time, after seeing those short clips of Heidi Blickenstaff floating around online... good lord-- that's casting I never knew I needed. 

And yes, keep Lea far, far, far, far away...

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Mar 22 2024, 10:40:13 AM

Mitch101 said: "My friend and I used that forced standing ovation to make an easy and fast exit. This was such a disaster. If anyone can prove the “In the future” concept works I will eat my hat. The evening felt like a director had decided to fire his original collaborators to prove to the world the original success (and awe) was all because of him. What this revival proved is that is not the case. Bring back Bob Crowley!"

I wouldn't argue the &

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews  Mar 17 2024, 03:07:27 PM

BroadwayBen said: "I know the original album and I saw the 93 production. I've just never understood what TOMMY was about other than some talented rock and rollers getting stoned and writing a messy rock opera. I've never understood what actual story point was. Thoughts?"

The one common thread that runs through all iterations from the 1969 album to the 1975 movie to the musical is the idea that personal trauma and societal values are barriers to reaching inne

The Boys in the Band to premiere on Netflix, Wed. 9/30  Oct 1 2020, 11:20:01 AM

So something jumped out at me while watching-- had there always been an established hostility between Harold and Donald? It was clearly acknowledged in this version, but was it addressed at all in the Friedkin film? Ironic that my main problem with this remake was losing some of the subtlety of the original, and I have no idea if I missed a subtle nod to the Harold/Donald dynamic in the 1970 film.

Loudest gasp you've heard in the theatre  Feb 19 2020, 10:25:20 AM

I doubt it happens anymore but seeing WICKED in the first six months-- there were two pretty audible gasps I remember--

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

1. Boq emerges as the Tin Man

2. One of the Wizard's guard says (re: Fiyero) "Take him out to that field there. Put him on those poles until he tells us where the witch went."<

The Official TDF Thread  Feb 19 2020, 10:14:58 AM

GreasedLightning said: "Is TDF down for anyone else this morning?"

Yes indeed.

Idina Menzel a 'Go' for Funny Girl?  Jan 16 2020, 12:44:17 PM

I mean, in all fairness, the issue with the HELLO DOLLY! film is not Streisand's performance.

Songs That Sound An Awful Lot Like Other Songs  Dec 2 2019, 01:16:16 PM

Another JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR one... 

"Damned For All Time" is essentially the 1960s BATMAN television theme song.

THE WHO'S TOMMY Will Return to Broadway in 2021  Oct 21 2019, 03:19:38 PM

"Our new production of Tommy will be a reinvention aimed directly at today," said director Des McAnuff. "Tommy combines myth and spectacle in a way that truly soars. The key question with any musical is "Does the story sing?" and this one most certainly does. Tommy is the anti-hero ground zero. He is the boy who not only rejects adulthood like Holden Caulfield in The Catcher in the Rye, but existence itself. He becomes lost in the universe as he stares endlessly

Mistakes on cast albums  Aug 27 2019, 04:47:56 PM

Something happens between the 45 and 50 second mark in "There Is A Fountain/It Don't Make Sense" of the 2007 Donmar Cast Recording of PARADE. I don't know if it's a chair or feedback from a microphone but it is loud and pronounced. 

May 28 2019, 10:31:22 AM

I was incredibly bored. It takes some real "talent" to turn one of Disney's highest-energy outings into a complete snooze. Naomi Scott was the saving grace. She was wonderful to watch and the updates to the character of Jasmine worked well for me. Will Smith look genuinely uncomfortable during the musical numbers. I think I'd rather watch DUMBO again.

Oh and WHAT happened to the character of Jafar? No humor, no camp, no charisma-- just 2 hours of bug-eye

Teaser trailer for Judy w/Renee Zellweger  May 10 2019, 12:46:14 PM

Jingjo2 said: Kind of like the new Rocketman movie (also sung by Taron as Elton John)this story is mostly fiction and also unauthorized, even Liza walked out half way through"

Are you saying the Elton John film is mostly fiction and unauthorized? Because by all accounts (and the fact that Elton and his husband are EPs), it's very much authorized and much more true to life than at least BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY was. 

Teaser trailer for Judy w/Renee Zellweger  May 10 2019, 12:04:20 PM

TheQuibbler said: "I’m actually pleased that she’s doing her own singing because I think it frees up the performance a bit. I found it distracting in Bohemian Rhapsody, for example, whenever they’d switch to Mercury’s real vocals because it never looked like the sound was coming out of Malek’s mouth and I think the performance suffered. While I’m sure Zellweger prerecorded her vocals, she can align her vocal performance with her on-screen performan

Teaser trailer for Judy w/Renee Zellweger  May 10 2019, 11:26:03 AM

Is she really doing all her own singing in the movie? Please tell me that's not true...

The Who's Tommy at Kennedy Center  Apr 29 2019, 11:36:38 AM

I adored it. The score sounded the best it has ever sounded and the cast was first rate. Casey Cott started out a little shaky with "Amazing Journey" but nailed "Sensation" and all of Act 2. Mykal Kilgore gave the greatest rendition of "Eyesight to the Blind" I've ever heard and while I appreciated Wesley Taylor's energy and characterization, the accent rivaled Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

TOMMY essentially boils down to two main messages-- Secrets kill spiritual growth and fake celebrity needs to be rejected. For me, TOMMY is more relevant now than it ever has been. 

Yes, there are parts that never work ("Welcome" and parts that need to be rewritten (the mini-scene right before "We're Not Gonna Take It", but it still packs a hell of a punch and I'm dying for it to be revived. 

BEN PLATT Music Tour  Feb 13 2019, 08:53:16 AM

His Philly show is at the recently renovated Met that seats 3,500. I really hope he does well but these are huge venues.

MOCKINGBIRD merchandise?  Feb 7 2019, 10:48:20 AM

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but is TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD selling any merchandise? 

I couldn't find any at the theater, though I admit I wasn't looking very thoroughly given the crowds navigating the theater. I did an online search but came up empty. Are any of the theater shops around Times Square selling anything?  

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You