News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for bbroadwaybb

bbroadwaybb Profile Photo
Member Name: bbroadwaybb
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Brandon Victor Dixon, Vanessa Hudgens, Keala Settle, Jordan Fisher Set for Fox's Rent Live!
 Dec 2 2018, 06:11:52 PM

BroadwayNYC2 said: "The fact you think what you are saying is remotely related to a production of Rent, disturbs me. I've never read a more out of touch comment."

The fact that you think Jewish representation doesn't matter and that it's ok to erase Jewish identity disturbs me. I'm sure you would not be ok with this if it were a different culture.

Brandon Victor Dixon, Vanessa Hudgens, Keala Settle, Jordan Fisher Set for Fox's Rent Live!
 Dec 2 2018, 05:46:01 PM

This production is erasing Jewish representation. Just because you can find examples of non-white Jewish people does not excuse the erasure of Jewish representation from this production. White women who speak spanish shouldn't play Mimi because that would erase the Latin identity of the character. Even if the white woman in question was born in Puerto Rico. That was not Jonathan Larson's intention - he doesn't mean Mimi is open to being anyone who speaks spanish or whose fami

Dec 2 2018, 03:26:54 PM

A very small fraction of Jews in the US are African-American. Mark is representative of Jonathan Larson. There are also white women who speak spanish, live in hispanic neighborhoods, and even come from spanish speaking countries, but it would be extremely offensive to cast a white woman as Mimi and then justify it by saying white women speak spanish too.

Dec 2 2018, 03:02:54 PM

Why would anyone think it is acceptable to erase Mark's Jewish identity? And I can hear a justification that anyone can be Jewish or maybe Mark is half-Jewish (his last name is Cohen so his father is definitely Jewish, and his mother is presented as a Jewish mother in the show - unless they're planning on casting an African-American woman to play Mark's mother - further erasing his Jewish identity?). Either way, unless Fisher is planning on playing it "nebbishy

re: New Janet in Drowsy Chaperone!
 Jan 23 2007, 12:36:26 PM
Tari Kelly is playing Sally in Cabaret right now.
re: Natalie Joy Johnson's on Broadway in...
 Nov 23 2006, 09:51:12 AM
She's playing the lesbian
re: Natalie Joy Johnson's on Broadway in...
 Nov 23 2006, 12:30:06 AM
Changed. My apologies.
Natalie Joy Johnson on Broadway in...
 Nov 23 2006, 12:23:43 AM
Legally Blonde.

Broadway Idol
 Sep 30 2006, 11:49:32 AM
Who won? I didn't get to go last night. Song list?

Thanks.

re: NATALIE!!!
 Feb 2 2006, 02:56:39 PM
Jesus Christ, she was amazing. Anyone who missed it... missed it.

Tell Bette Midler to watch her back.

re: Kristin C - A Little Night Music
 Jan 28 2006, 04:51:04 PM
I do think she could have pulled it off, but her best Sondheim part would have been Johanna in SWEENEY. That would have been perfect, cause she's supposed to be cooky and funny and have that amazing soprano.
re: Jerby revisits Hairspray
 Jan 7 2006, 06:46:02 PM
Incorrect. Donna is on vacation for a week.
re: Striking 12 ,has anyone seen it?
 Dec 20 2005, 05:08:32 PM
It is fantastic. Definately go see it. It's really unique and great. She plays an electric violin!
re: How hard is living while being a performer?
 Dec 16 2005, 02:23:32 AM
The current minimum for any performer on Broadway is $1422 per week.
re: Into The Woods- Witch played by a male???
 Dec 15 2005, 11:55:32 PM
Billy Porter was nearly cast for the revival.
re: Sherie Rene Scott as Maureen
 Nov 30 2005, 03:04:09 AM
I saw DRS a few days ago and she was BRILLIANT! I think she is one of the most talented actresses there are today in musical theatre. One of the funniest women out there with one of the best voices.
re: Which show should I see next?
 Oct 22 2005, 12:10:16 PM
See What I Wanna See
re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
 Oct 12 2005, 02:38:28 AM
Yes. I found the entire second act amazingly moving. Beginning to end. So munk, you missed whatever it was I got. Especailly in the relationship between the priest and his aunt. And then the priest's story through to end (without giving spoilers). For me, it was incredibly moving. More moving than any piece of theatre I have seen in years - to be prefectly honest.

The differnt stories are connected by that it's all about different people seeing what they want to see. Not necessa

re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
 Oct 12 2005, 02:15:27 AM
I saw it Monday night as well. Didn't notice Menzel have breathing or pitch problems.

re: Henry Stram's voice -- I heard from people working on the show that he had lost his voice and had been on vocal rest, so Monday night was the first time he was using his voice in a few days. He was incredible, in my opinion. Who needs the voice when you give a performance like that? He was just extraordinary. I couldn't stop crying.

re: See What I Wanna See ( I Saw It!)
 Oct 11 2005, 02:25:54 AM
Saw the invited dress tonight.

It's pretty damn brilliant. MJL is usually a little too inaccessible for my tastes, but this score is gorgeous and fun. It's one of the smartest and most moving pieces of theatre I've seen in a long time. Fascinating piece - a story where I never knew what was going to happen. The entire production is lush and smart and fluid. Really really well done.

The cast is ridiculous - one for one.

Aaron Lohr should be a movie star,

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You