pixeltracker

PJ Reviews "See What I Wanna See"

PJ Reviews "See What I Wanna See"

PJ
#0PJ Reviews "See What I Wanna See"
Posted: 10/11/05 at 11:56pm

First off, let me just say that this production is blessed with an unbelievably talented cast. You really can’t go wrong with Marc Kudisch, Aaron Lohr, Mary Testa, Henry Stram, and of course, Miss Menzel..

The Score: I am admittedly not a big fan of Michael John LaChiusa’s work. For some reason, his work comes off as cold and distant to me. The man can write some downright wonderful music, but his work doesn’t usually click with me. “See What I Wanna See”’s score ranges from dramatic to comical. There are melodramatic numbers, just as in any MJL score, and there are a few that make you laugh out loud. My main point: Very beautiful, and melodic. Exactly what you would expect from MJL. He doesn’t step outside his comfort zone on this one. Every song is LaChuisa’s signature style.

The Cast:

Marc Kudisch is quite good as the Husband, CPA, and Morito. After spending a third of the first act lying on his back, he later jumps up and delivers a delicious performance. This man has a wonderful voice and he most certainly does not disappoint in this production. He also infuses two of his characters with his Kudisch-isms. Very nice.

Aaron Lohr matches Mr. Kudisch in terms of performance caliber. Although, I must admit early on in the show I had trouble hearing him from time to time. I would hear him fine one minute, and the next he would almost seem inaudible. But, it could have just been me.

Henry Stram is fine as the Janitor and really, really gets his chance to shine as the Priest. The second act really belongs to Henry and this character. He doesn’t have the pipes that Marc does, but the roles that he has to play does not require it. A very good performance.

Mary Testa is in very fine shape as the Medium and Aunt. She got quite a few laughs as the psychic and got even more as Aunt. I’m really becoming a big fan of Miss Testa and that wonderful voice of hers.

And finally...

Idina Menzel. I must tell those of you who are going to see this show in hopes of hearing her sing, over miked, to the rafters are going to be disappointed. Luckily, as Kesa and the Wife, Miss Menzel is given a chance to show a more soft and “prettier” side to her voice. Any sign of Wicked-raspiness and audible inhalations are now gone, thankfully. She sounds healthy and looks as though she’s having a blast doing this show. She does however get to display her contemporary Broadway sound in Act II as the Actress. She does do a few Idina-like deliveries now and then, but this is unlike anything I’ve ever heard her perform before. Her vocals are gorgeous and she’s surprisingly well acted in the first act and she really shines in her scenes with Henry Stram in Act II. All in all, I’d say she’s giving a truly good performance. Sure, she has some work to do here and there, but then again, what actor doesn’t after only one performance in front of a paying audience?

I’d definitely recommend anyone who has any reservations, for whatever reason, to go see this show. And I will add this: I am an admitted fan of Idina Menzel and saw the show because of her. But I have to say that even without Menzel, this is a show I would have enjoyed irregardless.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#1re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/11/05 at 11:59pm

Thanks for the review, looking forward to seeing it next week.

Any stagedooring?

PJ
#2re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:02am

As most of you know, there is no official stage door for the Public. The cast all left via the lobby. Yes, even Idina. She had her mother and her sister with her. At first Idina was really sweet, and then her mother started to literally grab her by the arm and drag her out the door. So she had to say "no" to pictures and only scribbled on everyone's Playbill. But she did manage to get everyone's despite her mother's efforts to pull her out of the theatre.

And it's worth saying that there were only about 15-20 people waiting for her. So it's not a Gershwin stage door mob scene...yet. My guess is most little girl's aren't allowed to be downtown after dusk.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:04am

Great review, thanks. I have a couple of questions, is this a potential Broadway transfer? Do you think it will have a cast recording? Is Kudisch permanently out of Bang Bang or just temporarily out?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

PJ
#4re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:06am

Kudisch's Chitty absense is only temporary.

I honestly don't see it transferring for the simple reason that I'm not sure the piece could fill a Broadway stage. It works beautifully in it's given space.

And I have no idea about a cast recording. But if one were to come in to fruition, I'd definitely buy it.

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#5re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:11am

Thanks PJ! I can go to bed now re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou

BSoBW2
#6re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:12am

I honeslty cannot wait anymore to hear LaChiuasa's music live.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#7re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 12:20am

Marc's first show back in Chitty is 11.28.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

RentBoy86
#8re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:14am

I wish it would get recorded, might be my first MJC show I'd buy. Does this show have a poster or marquee or anything? Just wondering what it looked like. how were the sets and technical aspects?

carnimiriel Profile Photo
carnimiriel
#9re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:23am

Regarding Aaron Lohr's voice in the first act, I have to agree with you that I had a hard time hearing him in parts. Actually, I seem to remember that there were a few times I felt that way with some of the other actors as well, though to a lesser extent. I wonder if it's a matter of the music being a little overpowering at certain points, or it could just be where I was in the theater.

I wondered about "stage dooring" since I really like Marc Kudisch, but I ended up exiting through Joe's Pub since I was directed to turn right off the elevator. Oh well. Maybe when I go see Chitty again.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#10re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:31am

I'm excited to hear that Idina is using a more healthy technique for this production. After all, the role was written for Audra McDonald, and Kelli O'Hara was involved at one point. It's nice to see that Idina can rein herself in.

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#11re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:40am

My god! I spent all day Monday freaking out about how this show was opening today and then I completely forgot to go down to the city and try to rush the first preview! Too much drama in the family.

Glad to hear you liked it. I thought it was funny that you said Lachiusa stayed within his comfort zone since he's sort of the composer who has no comfort zone!

I'm terribly excited for this show and I couldn't say why. Lachiusa certainly picks the most interesting source material, doesn't he? Well I'll see it soon.

yr ronin,
joey

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:48am

I never posted a review of this show, but I saw it Monday night at the dress rehearsal.

I agree with you (for the most part) about the cast, with the exception of Idina Menzel. Her audible inhalations were as present as EVER, and she was sharp the entire show. Her first 15 minutes were fantastic, but as soon as she has to deliver a monologue of sorts, it's evident that she's not so much an actress. I was very disappointed, but not surprised, by her performance.

I love La Chiusa, didn't care for most of his score here. There are some great songs here and there, but overall I feel like the show is unfocused. See it if you want.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

PJ
#13re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 1:56am

I talked to three people after the show this evening on the subway and none of them heard Idina's breathing problem. Perhaps she was able to control it this evening?

forgetregret
#14re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:01am

I was there tonight and heard no gasps whatsoever. She was also very much on pitch, no sharpness. Maybe she wasn't feeling well yesterday or something.

I was very impressed by Idina and the rest of the cast, in both their singing AND their acting. I'd disagree with you, Munkustrap, and say that Idina very much proved herself as an actress in this show, for those who didn't think she was one before.

luvtheEmcee
#15re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:02am

heh. Let the games begin.... again.

BSoBW2
#16re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:03am

Well, Munk isn't a huge Idina fan...but she does often having breathing issues...especially when she's nervous...

PJ
#17re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:04am

I agree, Emcee.

And as far as Idina goes: She's really better than you think she would be. Updated On: 10/12/05 at 02:04 AM

bbroadwaybb Profile Photo
bbroadwaybb
#18re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:15am

I saw it Monday night as well. Didn't notice Menzel have breathing or pitch problems.

re: Henry Stram's voice -- I heard from people working on the show that he had lost his voice and had been on vocal rest, so Monday night was the first time he was using his voice in a few days. He was incredible, in my opinion. Who needs the voice when you give a performance like that? He was just extraordinary. I couldn't stop crying.

She's tall enough to be your mother

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:16am

Crying? I didn't feel one ounce of anything for anyone in this show. Did I miss something?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

stagedoorslacker Profile Photo
stagedoorslacker
#20re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:30am

I agree munk....good show yes, but I thought it was a little too simple. What did the two lovers have anything to do with the two acts, and what did Acts I and II have to do with each other. Maybe I am thinking about this to much.

I wonder how different the Thief would have been if Michael Hall stayed with the role when he did it at WTF.

Still a great show. Lighting is brilliant. It really made the show good.

bbroadwaybb Profile Photo
bbroadwaybb
#21re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 2:38am

Yes. I found the entire second act amazingly moving. Beginning to end. So munk, you missed whatever it was I got. Especailly in the relationship between the priest and his aunt. And then the priest's story through to end (without giving spoilers). For me, it was incredibly moving. More moving than any piece of theatre I have seen in years - to be prefectly honest.

The differnt stories are connected by that it's all about different people seeing what they want to see. Not necessarily what is true. Which is how life works, isn't it? I certianly wouldn't call this piece simple. I found it incredibly complex and deep and yes, profound.

She's tall enough to be your mother

WickedRentHead
#22re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 7:46am

Munk I dont think I've ever seen you write anything good about Idina...If you dont like her, thats your preference but at least give her an unbiased review. You are the first (and only) person so far to have anything negative to say about her in this show.

Now theres a lot of actors and actresses that I dont particularly care for but if they gave a good performance (as pretty much everyone has said Idina did) I would at least give them the credit they deserve

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#23re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 9:04am

I went last night. I adore Marc Kudisch, he has one of the most glorious voices in theater today but the music did nothing for me.
I could hear Marc sing anything, just not this score.
Marc is a brilliant performer as is Mary Testa. The rest of the cast were dissappointing.
Overall, I found the show a mess. Updated On: 10/12/05 at 09:04 AM

luvtheEmcee
#24re: PJ Reviews 'See What I Wanna See'
Posted: 10/12/05 at 10:14am

"Unbiased review."

There's a novelty. A realistic one, too.

Videos