News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for broadwayworldreader

Member Name: broadwayworldreader
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

SIDE SHOW Reviews  Nov 19 2014, 12:11:17 AM
This message that some previous posters felt (this "we-are-all-freaks thing"), I feel like that was more adeptly executed as a fleshed out concept in the original when none of the freaks costumes were literal. More similar to that of Bradley Cooper's in Elephant Man. In the 97 production the twins were never actually connected. Also, the show began with the bleachers at the back of the stage where ensemble portrayed an audience at a freak show, but were watching the actual audience.

Don

Industry professionals giving shade to one another  Oct 19 2014, 10:02:02 AM
Looks like some queens need to rewatch Paris is Burning for the definition of shade.

But what do I know: I'm just a drag queen.

ON THE TOWN previews  Sep 24 2014, 11:18:11 AM
Yes, the orchestra and dancing are fantastic, and I can't put into words how happy I was to see Tony Yazbek lead this show. Otherwise I thought the whole thing feels very 2-D. The projections don't help at all. They looked like they were made on KidPix by a 6th grader.

Honestly, I was nervous going in about this and felt like my fears were confirmed: I think people nowadays are very rarely capable of pulling off the style necessary for some shows of the 30's, 40's and even 50's to even

Shubert's New Broadway Theater  Aug 22 2014, 11:56:41 PM
Also, for those of you familiar with that stretch of 45th Street, the parking garage in question is not where they are thinking about building the theatre (the former site of the Klaw Theatre). They would however, level that small parking lot and area where some of the tents stand. They specifically mentioned where Kazino laid stake. (The lot just west of the parking garage.)
The Broadway Mega-Musicals  Aug 18 2014, 03:43:16 PM
Agree w Tag...

You might be able to say Pirate Queen was a mega musical, though it found a commercial life once the mega musical was already out of style. As you may have noticed, its creators are wan to create that kind of material.

Vacant houses as of fall?  Aug 18 2014, 10:19:59 AM
Has anyone else noticed that in the press release for Finding Neverland they mentioned it would be going into a Nederlander House...the Winter Garden is a Shubert House...Any ideas rumors as to where this show is going?
If/then vs. Violet  May 19 2014, 07:40:25 PM
Interestingly enough, I thought Violet was WORLDS better than If/Then. Like day-and-night better. I thought Idina Menzel's performance was incredibly amateurish. I felt like she was acting her scenes well, but as soon as it came time to sing all her acting choices became parallel gestures and obvious choices. Honestly, the only performances I thoroughly enjoyed were the soldier's and the assistant's. It felt like the follow up to Rent after Disney's gentrification of NYC as produced by Ryan Murphy. Surely, I can't be the only one who feels this way. Anyone else out there?

Violet on the other hand: while I admit I had a soft spot for this show and it's music before going in, Sutton Foster is undeniably showing us she is capable of playing a role with some true emotional depth to it and Josh Henry sings BEAUTIFULLY. And Colin Donnell...well, he doesn't just look great in that uniform.

Disney Theatricals Theatres seem terribly inconsistant  Mar 29 2014, 03:36:19 PM
@curtain-- can you expand on that? What's the story there?

Not to thread jack, but the comment about the bathrooms in the NewAm reminded me how awful the men's bathroom is in the court. LITERALLY A CLOSET. You have to open and close doors to navigate your way through there.

Close, Move or Stay  Mar 26 2014, 09:32:38 AM
"how 42nd Street moved from the Winter Garden to the Majestic then to the St James to make way for Cats at the Winter Garden and Phantom at the Majestic."

except according to playbillvault there were 3 different production between 42nd St. and Cats...

http://www.playbillvault.com/Theatre/Detail/353/Winter-Garden-Theatre

BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014  Mar 23 2014, 07:31:40 PM
@Kad Do you think we will have another year of plays with scores being nominated?
Close, Move or Stay  Mar 19 2014, 05:20:03 PM
Say what you want about RoA, but I think any show that "stunt casts" Mark Zuckerberg's sister (who USED TO BE a partial owner of Facebook) to celebrate their 5th anniversary is having a hard time. Nothing against her, but I'd hardly call that stunt casting. Can you imagine the conversation?

Theatre Patron 1: "Oh wow! This flyer says Randi Zuckerberg is in the show for a week."
Theatre Patron 2: "Cool....who's that?"
Theatre Patron 1: "I guess she's the sister of Mark Zuckerb

BEST MUSICAL RACE 2014  Mar 19 2014, 05:10:03 PM
My five are:

Bullets
If/Then
Gentleman's Guide
Bridges
Rocky

I say Rocky makes the final spot because its a familiar property that has some of the best integration of spectacle in a musical. That being said, it won't win: how many theatres around the country can accommodate the last 20 minutes of that show? I don't think out of town theatre owners will want to vote for a show they can't house.

Based on my own opinions and the five I've "nominated" I wou

Heathers First Preview  Mar 18 2014, 11:45:10 AM
Overall, I thought it was a cute show.

I will say, the night I saw it I was sitting near part of the production team. How do I know? Because they were wearing merch from the show and sitting in a group next to a man taking notes. Now this is strictly my own opinion, but I find it remarkably tacky (not to mention distracting) when those involved in production are the ones catcalling during the show, laughing the hardest at all the jokes, first ones to jump to their feet at the end. I get

Who's playing the Begger Woman NY Phil's Sweeney Todd with Emma Thompson?  Mar 4 2014, 11:15:56 PM
I was under the impression that the beggar woman was being played by Bryonha Marie Parham from After Midnight and Porgy & Bess.
Elena Shaddow- Uncredited?  Feb 23 2014, 10:29:29 PM
Is it advantageous either way or more a matter of preference?
Intimacy - New Group - wow  Jan 16 2014, 12:16:01 AM
@Artman, It's New York City. Sounds like you're in the wrong bars. :)
Mega-Musicals  Jan 6 2014, 09:07:36 PM
I've always thought that Nightmare Before Christmas could be really cool on stage. Of course, Danny Elfman would still have to be involved a la any Disney show where he would use existing material as write new additional songs.
A Missed Opportunity  Jan 6 2014, 06:20:00 PM
"I always thought that it was interesting that Ragtime did a hatchet job song on Henry Ford while performing in the Ford Center For The Performing Arts."

@Gotham Wasn't the Henry Ford song a condition of using the theatre? I thought I had heard that the song has been cut from all subsequent productions...

Kinky Boots/Newsies Tiered Contracts  Dec 30 2013, 06:59:28 PM
I went looking to see if a thread had already been created. Don't think there has been one, or if there has, it hasn't been deemed 'relevant' enough to stay in the top 100.

Can someone clarify/explain what exactly the controversy is here and what Equity might aim to accomplish by having their meetings at the beginning of January? I've been seeing posts all over the facebook and would like to know more, as I'm sure many of you have and would as well..

thanks

Rate 2013's Cast Albums/Soundtracks  Dec 29 2013, 04:31:09 PM
@dreamcoat, either I suppose. Let's hear 'em. :)
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You