News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for threetwoone

threetwoone Profile Photo
Member Name: threetwoone
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Phillips and Alabado to lead SUNDAY IN THE PARK at Pasadena Playhouse  Mar 2 2023, 10:33:30 AM

I saw the show last night and Graham Phillips gave one of the most exciting theatre performances I’ve ever seen. It was just superb. Every note he sang was was flawless. 

Performances on 19/09  Sep 13 2022, 01:27:50 PM

Hey guys. I’ve had a London theatre trip booked (16-20.09) for a few weeks now. Unfortunately with the Queen’s passing, things are a bit up in the air.

The performance of Moulin Rouge I had tickets for on 19.09 is now cancelled. (ATG is being quite difficult with the refund, which is a whole ‘nother story) I’d like to still fill my Monday slot with *something* but it seems everything on the West End is now cancelled that day.

I don’t mean to come ac

Alice Ripley/next to normal in Barcelona  Jul 8 2022, 06:50:07 AM

binau said: "threetwoone said: "Binau, I recommend getting there 30 mins early and standing in line. The doors to the theatre open around 5-10 mins before the show starts and it’s a mad rush while everyone is admitted and takes their general admission seat.

Alice will be sitting in the centre of the stage as you enter, and I recommend sitting as close to the centre as possible, and in the direction her chair faces at the start of the show. I saw the show 3 times in total and sat in three different spots. The place I mentioned above was the best view.

To those that asked, Pascal is pre-recorded and Alice’s timing is just perfectly done. I think Pascal has some facial queues built in to his performance which Alice uses as a prompt. Its really so seamless.
"

Just checking should be facing her at the beginning right :)? (Slightly ambiguous to me whether in the direction her chair faces might mean sitting behind her or in front…if it was in the round)
"

It is indeed in the round, so you can’t really go wrong wherever you sit. It’s a bit hard to explain. I’ll upload a video to YouTube and share the link here :)

Edit: here is the link https://youtube.com/shorts/w-phkCbxLy0?feature=share

At the very start of the clip, there is a person in black pants, white shoes and an orange-ish shirt filming. That was the seat I sat in a previous night and it was a great view. (As was the location I filmed this from the next night)

Alice Ripley/next to normal in Barcelona  Jul 6 2022, 12:06:36 PM

Binau, I recommend getting there 30 mins early and standing in line. The doors to the theatre open around 5-10 mins before the show starts and it’s a mad rush while everyone is admitted and takes their general admission seat.

Alice will be sitting in the centre of the stage as you enter, and I recommend sitting as close to the centre as possible, and in the direction her chair faces at the start of the show. I saw the show 3 times in total and sat in three different spots. The pl

Alice Ripley/next to normal in Barcelona  Jul 3 2022, 02:28:12 PM

Exciting update. I came back to see it again and while in line to enter the theatre, I overheard someone connected with the production say that the plan is for this to have a a life beyond Barcelona. It’s confirmed for another city after this, and the eventual plan is for it to land in London.

Alice Ripley/next to normal in Barcelona  Jul 1 2022, 08:49:23 PM

Oh btw, there WERE props (birthday cake, music box, sandwiches, duffle bag in “So Anyway” etc.) so not sure where the “no props” thing came from.

From memory, most songs were severely shortened (Just Another Day, Perfect for You, Better than Before, A Light in the Dark), some were full or nearly full (I Miss the Mountains, I Am the One, I Am the One (reprise), Light), and some songs were cut completely (Everything Else, I’ve Been, Song of Forgetting, Why Stay/A Promise).

There were some book changes, mostly minor. For example, the music recital in “Make Up Your Mind / Catch Me I’m Falling” was cut, as were many spoken scene intros to songs (ie. “McGyver of pot” intro scene to “Superboy and the Invisible Girl&rdquo

So I’d say the majority of the cuts come from shortened and cut songs.

The show moved so quickly. Next to Normal already packs so much into such little time (med numbness, attempted suicide, ECT, memory loss) and so to have it all go by in half the runtime is a bit strange. But it still works. It’s like we enter Diana’s brain (imagine A LOT of neuron motifs) for a 60 min roller coaster ride.

Alice Ripley/next to normal in Barcelona  Jul 1 2022, 04:50:09 PM

Wow. Wow. Wow. What an experience! I really have nothing but positive things to say about this production. The orchestrations were really stunning. Alice’s tony performance is really exactly what it was in the original production, and her voice is in perfect shape. Her I miss the mountains sounded exactly like on the cast recording. It was so clean and crisp.

The truncated version of the show was a bit strange because I’m so familiar with the original, but it worked fine. I

Alice Ripley/next to normal in Barcelona  Jul 1 2022, 11:39:15 AM

I’ll be at the first performance tonight! Anyone else going?

Last saw Alice in the national tour of the show in 2011 I guess it was. Couldn’t miss this so grabbed a ticket and a flight to Barcelona as soon as they went on sale. 

Will report back for anyone who is interested!

ALW's Cinderella  Jun 12 2022, 05:52:11 PM

I was there this afternoon. Flew to London specifically to catch the final performance. It was my first time seeing the show actually.

The cast’s reaction left nothing to the imagination. Carrie was shaking her head, not so subtly I might add. Many other eyes went wide. It seemed like they couldn’t believe what they were hearing from the letter.

It was such a joyous performance up until the point the letter was read and then the room turned totally sour.

ALW: Cinderella to transfer summer/fall 2022?  Sep 29 2021, 02:46:54 AM
How about Daphne Rubin-Vega as the stepmother?
Phantom to change to  Feb 15 2021, 01:38:13 PM

Phantom4ever said: "And listening to Cameron talk about London, he made it sound like the London set was ready to fall apart any second. Supposedly they haven't used the Angel in months because it's broken somehow? And the mechanics under the London stage are the original 19th century hardware; whereas the Majestic's are 30 years old but that's 100 years newer. "

Can confirm the state of the London set. I saw the show front row a fe

Hunchback Album  Jul 30 2017, 04:09:45 AM

For anybody who is interested, a new German cast recording of Der Glöckner came out earlier this week. It's a live recording of the same Papermill production that is currently playing in Berlin with the new material / edits translated into German. 

https://www.facebook.com/disneysdergloecknervonnotredame/posts/1584720428239278

It's not available online or at stores yet, but I went and picked it up at the the theatre this week and it sounds great. I think I might I like it better than the new English recording, actually.

Bat Out of Hell  Jul 1 2017, 02:58:44 AM

I saw it in Manchester a few months ago and it was excellent. There's a reason critics gave it mostly 4 and 5 stars in London after opening last week. Such a cool piece of theatre with a score that is so much better than your average jukebox musical.

Cats Cancelled Performance  Aug 25 2016, 08:12:51 AM

Kitty kitty bang bang?

(How has nobody made that joke yet?)

HAIRSPRAY is next NBC Musical...  Aug 18 2016, 01:38:19 PM

Littleshopofcarrie said: "Perfect casting! So excited for this!

This also takes away the idea of Winokur playing Prudy... Wonder who she's playing now (if she is attached)
"

Male Authority Figure

Cast recordings that should be on iTunes  May 14 2016, 08:25:04 AM

I went on a few days ago to buy a recording of Sunset Boulevard and there wasn't a single official cast recording of the show on the Canadian iTunes Store. Not sure if it's any different on the US store...

People who take vacant seats at intermission  May 8 2016, 02:13:58 PM

I was just in London with a group of 10 students of mine to see Wicked and they were all seated in row Y of the dress circle and I was seated in row C of the dress circle. (How I was seated in a much better seat is unrelated. I had no control over the tickets...)

My whole row was empty so at intermission I spoke with an usher and asked if it would be alright to move my students down to row C with me and she said "Of course, if the seats are empty at intermission you're fre

Kara Lindsay in Germany for wicked  Apr 21 2016, 04:34:41 AM

Yeah, does anybody have any more details about this? I'm teaching English not too far from Hannover (where they are flying to) but googling doesn't return any results for a conventions or the like...

Tall people blocking view in theatre  Jan 19 2016, 11:33:03 AM

FindingNamo said: "I'm just writing modest proposals about people who apparently think it's delightful to have a human monolith in front of them at a show.  

It's hilarious to me that people were fine with somebody suggesting that shorter theater goers should strategize what locations will be best in case a tall person (who apparently doesn't need to strategize anything) gets a ticket in front of them and blocks a view. "

Tall people blocking view in theatre  Jan 17 2016, 05:07:37 PM

This might be an interesting read for some people:

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/08/15/432289382/the-good-listener-are-tall-people-obligated-to-stand-in-the-back-at-concerts

"That said, nothing makes a concertgoer feel put-upon more quickly than standing still and minding your own business as a towering wall erects itself in front of you. And, of course, it's far worse when said wall appears to lack consideration or even awareness — it makes the shorter person feel disregarded, invisible, ignored. To answer your question, I think tall people do indeed have a social obligation to minimize the obstruction they create; to avoid front rows, stand against walls (or, even better, in front of pillars), and otherwise forfeit premium positioning between band and audience."

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You