pixeltracker

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 5:56pm

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
E17
Celia
New Musical (OFF-BROADWAY)
New World Stage 2
12/1 7pm
2 hours and 30 mins (with 1 intermission)
Tix Price : $22.50 + 3.00 processing( thru TDF ) = $25.50

INTRO :
In 2004, when Gay Marriage was legalized in Massachussets. Chris & I finally got married on the same date we met in June 19, 1994 (while were both in College). so on June 19, 2004- we got married at Boston Public Garden with families and friends, and it was fitting to spend our honeymoon in Disneyworld in Florida. We decided to spend an extra week in Miami. That's when our other passion was born- our love for the Spanish language. We did not stay in South Beach bec. It was too expensive and were were running low on our budget after our wedding, so we opted to stay in Downtown Miami. To our amazement. No one speaks English and I was forced to use my little Spanish that I have learned back in High School and some words in Tagalog (Philipine's language) which is the similar to Spanish. I tried speaking my broken Spanish while taking public transportation in Downtown Miami and exploring Calle Ocho. To my suprise- all the hispanics in Miami never corrected my broken Spanish, they were just happy to hear me speak their beautiful language and encourage me more to speak it (which is sad bec. it brings me bad memories in High School which I was mocked for my bad English grammar) When we came back from Miami, we both decided to take Spanish classes (evening) at CCAE and Harvard Extension. Almost 3 yrs later... we were both fluent in Spanish now.. and everytime I go to work .. I alway speak spanish to all the cleaning ladies and folks who work at the cafeteria. I will always be grateful to them bec. they have always shown me kindness... by encouraging me to learn their beautiful language.

THE MUSICAL

Celia the musical is a story of Celia Cruz, the cuban singer which is known to as the Queen of Salsa. Her story was being told by the aging Pedro Knight (husband of Celia) to the male nurse in his last days before he died. It started with Celia's humble beggining in Cuba where she was born. She was mocked at an early age bec. she is a black Cuban and refered to as "ugly" . Though she managed to stay positive thru her entire lifetime like being exiled from Cuba, not to be able to see her mother's wake nor bring her body to America to be buried bec. of Fidel Castro's restrictions and lastly her fight to breast cancer which she later succumbed in 2003. Celia managed to stay positive and do what she always wanted to - to sing and bring happiness on people's life specially her fellow countrymen- the Cuban- American living in exile in Miami and New York. There is a lot of touching moments in the musical like when Celia visited Guantanamo Bay (the US facility in Cuba) which she grabs a handful of earth thru the fence that separates Guantanamo Bay and Cuba., which she told her husband that if she dies she wants that handful of earth from Cuba to be buried with her to make her warm during the winter months.

The musical has a concert like atmosphere. The sets is a large Cuban-Chuch like white arches with projections of different scenery, pictures and albums of Celia Cruz. The band is onstage with two small platform stages. The drums & trumpets are one the left side of the stage while the keyboards and the remaininhg horns section was on the right side. Some shows are in SPANISH and others in ENGLISH, but ALL THE SONGS ARE IN SPANISH. Even If you dont know any Spanish- you will still enjoy all the songs bec. its very lively !

6 Things I LIKE about the musical (out of 10)

1. The Music- it features the music of Celia Cruz and my god ! the whole stage was on fire, most of the time. There are audience that were "literally" standing and dancing on some musical numbers.

2. The Band (Celia's band)- The band onstage was really something else. I love the sound of brazzy cuban trumpet , congas and bongos. The price of our admission is worth for the band itself.

3. Xiomara Laugart (as the singing Celia) -as a lead singer of the group YERBA BUENA.. oh my god ! she sounds exactly like Celia...her brassy voice... I felt like I really seen the real Celia live ! BTW- There's two Celia in the musical one singing the numbers and another one which is doing the acting...

4. The Chreoraphy: So much energy from the begining till the end. the dancers are really shaking their asses off, specially the beautiful girl in LA NEGRA TIENE TUMBAO.. she really has that ass to shake it.

5. Celia's costumes- I think she wore almost like 20-25 different outfits in the show. Every number has different costumes. I love her salsa outfits with long train. The cuban flag outfit was just amazing & funny. I love her outfits on Oye Como Va with the blue wig... (that's when she started wearing those different colorful wigs to hide thae fact that she had a cane due to her knee surgery - and as a twist of fate.. everyone knew that signature wig)

6. The Cast are mostly Cubans (with 1 Puerto Rican) which really makes it very authentic.

1 Thing I DID NOT LIKE about the musical (out of 10)

1. The harmony between the book & the music- since they made the musical a concert type of musical.. sometimes I felt like there was a problem with the book.

IN SUMMARY : I like the musical a lot, its not a perfect musical, it has a problem with the book but the music is amazing and importantly ..it has a heart. Almost all immigrants to this country can relate to her story which is being away from your country. I definitely urge everyone to be familiar with her music before seeing the show. ACT 1 was a bit slow bec. it features some of her earlier songs.. ACT 2 is very energetic bec. it has some of her more popular songs. I really love the Curtain Call of LA VIDA ES UN CARNIVAL... everyone was dancing already. I have never seen an audience so alive and energetic ! Its sad bec. I have never heard a lot of talk about this kinda show in any message board, which made me decide to dedicate 1 thread of my 10/10 Reports once a month or when oppurtunity comes to feature shows about group of minorities living in the United States like CELIA, YELLOW FACE, QUEENS BOULEVARD and so many off-broadway shows and to encourage discussion for shows that featured different minorities.

I guess.. It just fitting to end this Report with Celia's song... that Life is a carnival (celebration) and its more beautiful to live it by singing....

jota/estrella

Score: 5/1- I LIKE IT ! Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)

New World Stages

The Show's Merchandise

The Lobby

New World Stage 2

The Playbill

Celia : THE MUSICAL website
https://www.celiathemusical.com/index_2.html

To BUY Tickets (Telecharge)
https://www.telecharge.com/behindTheCurtain.aspx

Samples of Celia Song (from iTunes)

1. Celia Cruz Hit Remix:
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=193042923&s=143441

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)

My favorite Celia Cruz's Video (featured in the Musical)
Let's put some flavor here....

1. La Vida Es Un Carnival
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lArGoRhFr4E

2. La Negra Tiene Tumbao - my favorite !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2_kPeWi4ng

3. Oye Como Va
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DynWq6-zheI&feature=related

4. Yo Vivire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiye4ruiAPc&feature=related

Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!) Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)

Updated On: 12/3/07 at 05:56 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
bryan
#2re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 8:51pm

hi should this show get a cast cd made of it.

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#3re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 8:56pm

I've seen this show twice. It's so fantastic.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#4re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 9:10pm

It does look exciting. The Cast does look great. I hope it gets a OBCA. One of the few Playbills this Season that I really liked. I hope it does well. Something like this has the potential of becoming bigger, if they can tell the story well. The music is already wonderful. Good luck to everyone in the Production.

Thanks for the review.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 9:35pm

Celia Cruz' music is fantastic and she was such an inspiring figure. I am glad this musical made it to Broadway. There were talks about a movie biopic starring Whoopy Goldberg, wonder what happened with that.
Either way I hope to catch this when I go to NY next year if it's still running.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#6re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 9:47pm

Curtain- I did not see Pedro - his understudy was on. He was not that great. I think he messed up the last song (Gracias) too. I would kill to see Pedro Capo rapp for the LA NEGRA TIENE TUMBAO's rap part. His undertsudy did the rapping.. he was great in that part, but I felt like he was bit uncomforable for the role.

Pedro Capo
re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)

re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)

Bryan- I heard they will RECORD the show. They have a sign list for people who want to buy the OBCR. I wish they record this LIVE bec. the audience participation is something else. Fans yelling and screaming. It was soo enjoyable ..like a LIVE concert. My only drawback is its LOUD - i think they need to tone down the volume .. its kinda deafening. But I guess they wanted to have the concert feel to it..

Did you guys see Rosie O' Donell's Art Work in the Lobby on display? and guess who has seen the show too? (during Rosie's opening week) .....

Madonna and her daughter Lourdes - the ushers were telling me that everyone was star-strucked when Madonna came too see CELIA!

Just the thought that Madonna saw the show too! wow !

J*

Updated On: 12/3/07 at 09:47 PM

Deycallmemimi2
#7re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 10:10pm

I can see how one would think the problem lies with the book, but I think if you really reflect on it, I think the problem is with the direction! There is an obvious lack of fusion in the show between the songs, dance, and acting. Xiomara is amazing when she sings, but as soon as she finishes a song she drops character, and stomps off stage, the same with the dancers and other principal actors.

I thought I knew alot about Celia but there were alot of brilliant moments in the book that really gave light to what made her the fierce diva that she was (my favorite story was how she ended up with the blue wig)..but I think similiarly to In the Heights, you forgive all of its flaws because you leave having had such a great time....I think it has the potential to move and be a bigger hit if someone was bought in to tweak it a little.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#8re: Jaystarr's 10/10 Report on CELIA (with spoilers and dancing too!)
Posted: 12/3/07 at 10:35pm

Thanks for the pics of Pedro Jaybird.
Sorry you missed him, I was wondering why you didn't mention his hotness in your report.
I love your use of pics and moving vids as always.
You're the best.