Atalanta

Ready 2 Defy Gravity Profile Photo
Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#1Atalanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 5:46pm

Can anyone tell me the shows that are coming through Atlanta this year?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Atalanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 5:51pm

http://www.foxtheatre.org/cgi-bin/calendar/big_calendar.cgi

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: Atalanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 5:53pm

Didn't she win a race?

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#3re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 6:17pm

I am actually going to see.... ehem..... "CATS" when I go to Atlanta on MLK weekend to visit a friend... of couse I am going to post a photo thread on FOX THEATER later this month...

Are there any other local Regional Theaters that I should check out? -just wonderin'.. well were going to CNN, MLK memorial and the whole touristy sh**** thing....

Wish I could go to Marietta, GA to the site of PARADE, but Chris & I will only be there for 3 days.

J*

Updated On: 1/4/08 at 06:17 PM

ashley0139
#4re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 6:40pm

Jay- You should check out the Alliance Theatre. It is in downtown Atlanta and won the Tony this year for regional theatres. There might be something good playing there. The actual Marietta Square is very very cute, but beyond that there is not much to see, though I understand the desire because of Parade. If you're looking for tourist stuff, you should check out the Aquarium, World of Coke, and Centennial Olympic Park. There's not a ton to do, but a good amount for three days. PM me if you need more ideas!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#5re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 8:10pm

Ashley- Thanks for the info. on Alliance Theater. I checked their website and they have Duke Ellington's SOPHISTICATED LADIES for the dates that I will be there. I am not really familiar with this musical.

Does anyone know any info on that one? Is it worth watching? I guess.. It is.. If I am watching CATS..LOL!

I will check the show's schedule ... I have Sunday night open and they have Sunday show at 7:30 pm....I might check this out... Thanks again for any inputs..

J*
Alliance Theater:
https://www.alliancetheatre.org/

re: Atlanta

Updated On: 1/4/08 at 08:10 PM

sesot Profile Photo
sesot
#6re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 8:34pm

Ashley's tourist suggestions are all good. CNN, Centenial Park, World of Coke, and The Aquarium are all downtown so you could do more than one at a time. Sometimes there are special deals to do both the Aquarium and World of Coke- so do a search to see if any offers when you are here. Other ideas- The King Center and if you like Gone With the Wind- The margaret Mitchel House. You may also enjoy Miss Pitty Pats porch- http://www.pittypatsrestaurant.com/ . The food is Southern and yummy. The Varsity is another popular tourist attraction- only go to the one downtown.

As far as theatre- Take a tour of the Fox if you can it is simply gorgeous! Everything I have seen at the Alliance theatre is excellent. That is the theatre where the intial runs of Aida and The Color Purple were. Fun Improv theatres- Dad's garage and Whole World Theater. Feel free to pm me with any toher specific questions. Enjoy your trip!

sesot Profile Photo
sesot
#7re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 8:37pm

By the way- I haven't seen the Sophisticated ladies- but almost anything would be better than CATS.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#8re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 8:39pm

Thanks guys.. I will pass on the Aquarium... its just a personal preference ( and not open to debate ) I dont like to see cage or semi- or confined animals...to any sort of... its just me.... re: Atlanta

I would appreciate though..if anyone could forward me a discount code for Alliance Theater for Sophisticated Ladies...

The Fox Tour - I can take as much pictures, is that right? (of the theater not the show besides why would I want to take a picture of CATS the musical ! re: Atlanta ) bec. I saw postings of people from that tour...

J*

Updated On: 1/4/08 at 08:39 PM

jaybrrd
#9re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/4/08 at 10:24pm

Atalanta is a terrific place to raise children with stutters and speech impediments.

Atlanta, on the other hand...

The Alliance generally doesn't do discount codes, however, you should be able to find cheaper seats at the Atlantix booth in Lenox Mall. Aside from that, the Alliance top ticket pricing is less than $50, so it won't exactly break the bank the same way Young Frankenstein might.

Around your trip time, there's not much else going on in town. There's a production of Forever Plaid at the Lyric, which is more a G&S light opera group, and that's about it. There is improv galore here, though, for some reason, so if you like that, you're in luck.

Foodwise, I'll recommend Mary Mac's Tea Room (authentic southern...yum) and The Real Chow Baby (unique concept that'll probably catch on before too long).

I'll be seeing CATS, too. Got a friend in it. The things we suffer through for friends.

RentBoy86
#10re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:14am

Anyone know how far the Fox is from the Allicane Theatre group? Is it worth getting the free parking at the Alliance if I have free parking for the Fox? I'm seeing Drowsy Chaperone at night, but I kind of want to see an Alliance show for the matinee.

jaybrrd
#11re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:25am

Don't know anything about the parking situation, but they're about a mile and a half away from each other -- Fox is at Peachtree and 3rd, Alliance is at Peachtree and 15th.

jaybrrd
#12re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:30am

Also, to answer the original question:

You can find a comprehensive listing of shows scheduled for the Atlanta area at the link.
Atlanta Performs

RentBoy86
#13re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:35am

jaybrrd, would you say that's too far to walk? like during the day around 4-5pm

jaybrrd
#14re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/5/08 at 12:44am

Depends on who is doing the walking, RB, and what the weather is like. My arthritic mother? No, I'd have her drive. Youthful energetic lads? Not a problem.

But if it's raining, everyone will want to get in a car and drive it, even though it's only 1.5 miles. ATL is absolute misery to be caught in rain.

RentBoy86
#15re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/5/08 at 7:40pm

Thanks. I think I'll just opt to do the parking. It's not that much and it's better to be safe.

Around Midtown
#16re: Atlanta
Posted: 1/5/08 at 8:35pm

My husband and I recently started a blog where we follow the art and entertainment scene in Midtown, among other things. Here is the link: http://AroundMidtown.com. From January 7-13, the New York Times is offering some good deals on museum and theater tickets for the area. You can buy one ticket and get the second one free for Ansley Park Playhouse's play 'Peachtree Battle,' for example.

Videos