ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#0ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 9/29/05 at 2:04pm

ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review

“Absurd Person Singular” is a hysterical romp of a farce now playing nightly at Manhattan Theatre Club’s Biltmore Theatre on Broadway. Alan Ackybourn’s British 70’s comedy originally played on Broadway at the Music Box Theatre for a healthy two year run. This time around, the cast is as aptly healthy, if not more so, than the first time around. However, director John Tillinger seems to have fallen into an anemic coma with his shotty, at best, direction.

With such a tight script by Ackyborn and an extremely-uber talented and highly motivated cast, it is quite the shame Tillinger’s shortcomings are so clearly evident. In a time of great tragedy in our Nations history, it has become clear that social class commentaries are indeed entirely prevalent. Even thirty years later, Ackyborn’s mixed Martini look into these classes, are as relevant today, if not more so, than they were in the 70’s.

Sidney (the spot on Alan Ruck) and Jane (a hysterically winning Clea Lewis) are proprietors of a store, they wish to develop. Geoffrey (a very handsome Sam Robards) and Eva (“Virginia Woolfe’s” comedic Mireille Enos) are a tormented couple with a dog and marital troubles; including drugs and affairs. Ronnie (the absolutely marvelous, real deal Paxton Whitehead) and Marion (an award worthy turn by the amazing comically talented Deborah Rush) are the upper class couple with money; and talent of living with her alcoholism.

John Lee Beatty (“Doubt”) and Jane Greenwood (“Virginia Woolf”) have done their homework and it has paid off with sets and clothing matching and representing the different classes. Now it is time for Mr. Tillinger to open up his college books from Theatre Directing 201 and FIX THIS PLAY before opening night! It has it all, and on most levels works…except for the clearly obvious poorly instructed comedic direction.

British comedies are entirely different than American works and must be handled differently. The folks at MTC have given it first class production values and a cast of highly capable stars; however, they have also given it a director who doesn’t take very good notes. Let’s hope someone shapes up this entirely rewarding charade like comedy and does not let this respectable work become a travesty of delightful shambles.

Updated On: 10/15/05 at 02:04 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#1re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 9/29/05 at 2:17pm

I was thinking about going one night next week and now this review confirmed that desire.

Great review!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#2re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 9/29/05 at 3:57pm

Thanks! I did like the show itself, A LOT...its an adorable show and I can definitly see why they would revive it and ESPECIALLY today! The acting is honestly incredible, the direction though (gawd...i just hope it gets FIXED!)

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#3re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 9/29/05 at 5:18pm

Tillinger and Ayckbourn were in my row on Saturday night taking tons of notes and quickly dissapearing backstage at each intermission. I agree that the dirction definitely needs to be tightened.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#4re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/1/05 at 4:43pm

Bump...anyone else seen this yet?

How's it coming along??? Updated On: 10/1/05 at 04:43 PM

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#5re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/3/05 at 1:37pm

I saw the evening performance last night (10/2). Over all the show is very fun at times and a little dull at others. All of the actors/actresses were cast perfectly for their roles. Clea Lewis was extremely good, and we can expect to see more of her in the future. Alan Ruck seemed to stand out as the "star" even though everyone had equal part and was great. Deborah Rush and Paxton Whitehead were well suited for their upper-class roles. Mireille Enos was amazing, and its as if she plays 3 different parts because her character undergoes many changes is so different in each act. The sets were perfect and fit right in with each couples lifestyle.
The first act flowed smoothly and was very good. The second act was by far the funniest and again very good. The third act however seemed choppy, some small aspects were unclear. Also some of the jokes that were used to try and tie into the first two acts didn’t come off well. And there was not as much visual humor used. This third act was by far the worst of the three and could use some (minor) adjustments before opening night.
On a smaller note the playbill publishes "A 12 Minute Intermission Between Each Act" but the first intermission dragged on for almost 20 minutes, I assume they were changing sets etc. to prepare for the 2nd act, something they'll probably have hammered out before it opens. The second intermission was closer to the 12 minute mark.
Afterwards I spoke briefly with Clea Lewis and Alan Ruck who both seemed very pleased with the show and happy to be in it. Over all it was very funny and worth what I paid for the ticket. If you want a good laugh see it, but I suggest you wait a little bit and give them a chance to work the last few details out.

"Have they come yet?"

LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#6re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/15/05 at 9:53pm

UPDATE...

After witnessing today's Mat. of Absurd Person Singular, I am happy to report that the previews for this delightful comedy have paid off. Director John Tillinger has indeed done his homework and the show has grown over the past four weeks into a nicely paced, unforced, tramendously acted farce that I am sure Mr. Ackybourn intended. Benifiting from this majorly is the brilliant Debra Rush. She and Mister Whitehead are the true stars of this show and they now shine with the tightened comedic direction. Everything wasn't 100% perfect, but I would expect fairly mixed to positive reviews for this one. It's just so nice to smile when you are leaving the theatre the way I did with APS today.

melissa errico fan
#7re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/15/05 at 9:54pm

Have Lewis and Ruck improved any?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#8re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/15/05 at 9:58pm

Lewis seems to be playing it the same as she did when i saw it 4 weeks ago. I personally liked her interpretation a lot. I know some think shes a bit much in the role, but I really think shes a perfect fit. And Ruck...yes, he is less awkward and more of a solid figure and presense now than he was 4 weeks ago.
Updated On: 10/15/05 at 09:58 PM

LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#9re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/17/05 at 1:02pm

Has anyone else seen it yet? I believe it opens tomorrow...I like it as a delightful revival of a play. Its no means a perfect play, but this turned into a pretty good production.

Dollypop
#10re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/17/05 at 2:38pm

I saw the original Broadway version and all I really remember is Sandy Dennis trying to hang herself. Who plays that part in this production?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

melissa errico fan
#11re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/17/05 at 3:14pm

Mireille Enos

tagiunagi
#12re: ABSURD PERSON SINGULAR Review
Posted: 10/22/05 at 3:52pm

I saw the show. I won't give a full review, but I will give a few of my thoughts.

- I LOVED Clea Lewis and Deborah Rush!

- This show is very good but not great.

- I really can't see anyone not liking this show, so I suggest everyone see it!

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

Videos