pixeltracker

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour - Page 13

The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour

Ensemble1709724344
#300The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 3/6/24 at 11:32am

I am genuinely confused as to why so many people are giving this show a pass. These producers are filling their pockets as this production sells out major touring houses with some of the most offensively bad designs I've ever seen.

The background projection designs were created with AI, no question. There are random swirls in the sky and things that connect to nothing. We are watching human artists actively be replaced in a major production, and everyone seems to be turning their heads. 

This cast is unbelievably talented but has no support from direction. There are awkward gaps in the dialogue and the understudies seem to provide an extremely uneven experience with very little direction. The costumes look like community theater for most of the ensemble except for a few pieces that are randomly good. The choreography is overly busy and seems to come out of nowhere. The sets look like they came out of a community theater and are built out of supplies from Home Depot.

It is very sad if this is the future of Broadway. This cast and audiences deserve better. 

LaVieBoheme Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme
#301The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 4/4/24 at 10:53am

Has anyone who seen the tour also see Broadway previews yet? Just curious to see if anything has changed/ gotten better since the tour. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#302The Wiz returning to Bway in 2023 after National Tour
Posted: 4/4/24 at 11:20pm

This is among the worst revivals of a major musical I’ve seen on Broadway. A soulless production that is in equal parts a failure of directing (fool me twice, Schelle!) and artistic producing. It feels like more of a theme park show than BACK TO THE FUTURE.

I pity the cast, because they are all individually talented but they’ve been set up to fail and they are giving dinner theatre-level performances. All could be better under different circumstances.

The design is an abomination, somehow overwhelming but cheap.

There are modern jokes, SHREK-style pop culture references, and pointless new book scenes.

The new musical arrangements do not elevate the songs. There may be a 19-piece orchestra, yet it still sounds heavily synthesized. There are choreographed musical interludes serving no function, while brilliant things like the original Tornado dance music is nowhere to be found.

There are star-f***ing decisions too, like having Glinda sing “He’s The Wiz” which seems out of character (especially because she starts singing with little setup). Wayne Brady is almost subtle compared to his costars’ overacting?

I expect evisceration from the critics. As far as the Tonys go, no question I’d nominate SPAMALOT over this.

Updated On: 4/5/24 at 11:20 PM

Videos