WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#26re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 12/20/09 at 12:19pm

Yes, it is $25 at the theater.

sgv123
#27re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 12/20/09 at 12:22pm

I think it is limited edition because there is an extra track on it. David Bryan sings "Memphis Lives in Me".

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 12/20/09 at 12:35pm

I think I'll wait and get it for $13 from amazon.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 12/21/09 at 3:50am

If anyone with this CD is willing to PM me and be kind enough to email me the song Colored Woman, I would be eternally in your debt. :) :)

Pianist3912
#30re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 12/21/09 at 11:19am

Has anyone else noticed that the song "Love Will Stand When All Else Fails" has literally the same chord progression as "Hot Toxic Love" from Toxic Avenger, IN THE SAME KEY? They sound like the same song, pretty much. I mean, same composer, but still.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#31re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 12/21/09 at 11:22am

SEE ALSO: She's My Sister from Memphis and Kick Your Ass from Toxie

broadwayfreak4 Profile Photo
broadwayfreak4
#32re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 1:12am

Anyone know when the regular CD will be released? Or some time frame?

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#33re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 1:36am

There is a curious entry on the cast album database (see link below) with a Jan 26 release date.

It says it is being issued by Sony on their Masterworks Broadway label, but (IF this info is correct) with a revised track lineup as follows:

1. Underground
2. The Music Of My Soul
3. Scratch My Itch
4. I Can Shake The Blues *
5. Hello, My Name Is Huey
6. Everybody Wants To Be Black On A Saturday Night
7. Make Me Stronger
8. Colored Woman
9. Someday
10. I Don't Make The Rules
11. Radio
12. Say A Prayer
13. Crazy Little Huey
14. Big Love
15. Love Will Stand When All Else Falls
16. Stand Up
17. Change Don't Come Easy
18. Tear Down The House
19. Love Will Stand When All Else Falls (Reprise) *
20. Memphis Lives In Me
21. Steal Your Rock 'n' Roll

This seems to indicate that the commercial release will include two songs (* above) not on the "special Limited Edition" but drops David Bryan's bonus track of "Memphis Lives in Me."

MEMPHIS - original Broadway cast

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 1/18/10 at 01:36 AM

WishingOnlyWounds2
#34re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 4:26pm

Well, that would have been nice to know before I wasted $25 on a crap quality recording this past Saturday!

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#35re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 4:33pm

That track listing is inaccurate, frontrowcentre2.

"I Can Shake The Blues" was not recorded, so there's no way it would appear on any version of the cast album.

It was cut after the Seattle production and replaced with "Ain't Nothin' But a Kiss."

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 1/18/10 at 04:33 PM

frontrowcentre2
#36re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 5:13pm

Thanks for the info. There was a comment on Castrecl that the deal with Sony/Broadway Masterworks is up in the air but I haven't heard anything more.

Wishing: What did you mean about the "crap quality"? My copy has just arrived but as far as I can tell the sound on the CD is fine. At any rate it will be the same masters used by Sony.

Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

WishingOnlyWounds2
#37re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 5:18pm

I, along with a few others find the mics not to be loud enough on the Cast Recording, along with the actual show, too.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

frontrowcentre2
#38re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 5:34pm

Do you mean the balance between the singers and band is off?
I'll sit down and give the full CD a listen this evening. I played a few segments on the computer when the CD arrived but obviously that i not the best way to judge the sound quality.

bryan
#39re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 9:46pm

i hope sony puts it out to the stores soon because if not i will not be able to buy it.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#40re: The MEMPHIS OBCR
Posted: 1/18/10 at 9:47pm

bryan, the album is available for sale online via the show's official website.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Videos