pixeltracker

Wicked: Who has the best music: The Wizard or the younger characters?- Page 2

Wicked: Who has the best music: The Wizard or the younger characters?

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#25Wicked: Who has the best music: The Wizard or the younger characters?
Posted: 3/28/11 at 1:29pm

I agree, fingerlakes. The Wizard's songs serve as propaganda to lure Elphaba to his cause. When she does not align to his soft power, he must resort to the hard power, i.e. the big floaty head.

"Then you haven't heard many lyrics, because Schwartz's pass muster.

That's just another way of saying, "I disagree with you, so you're wrong."

Actually, it's another way of saying, "If we ranked the worst musical theater lyricists, Stephen Schwartz would be nowhere near the bottom, in my opinion." I'm not naming names but there are copious amounts of musicals with awful lyrics.

Wicked has smart lyrics that often have a delicious and rare sense of wordplay. Many phrases work on multiple levels and can stand alone, but also can resonate deeper with audiences more familiar with The Wizard of Oz. Honestly, I was expecting some seriously pandering trash when I saw Wicked and was pleasantly surprised with its intelligence and emotional resonance.

With Irma you gotta do something!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#26Wicked: Who has the best music: The Wizard or the younger characters?
Posted: 3/28/11 at 2:40pm

Well I will say that I HAVE heard a lot of lyrics, and in MY opinion, Wicked has some of the worst.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#27Wicked: Who has the best music: The Wizard or the younger characters?
Posted: 3/28/11 at 6:03pm

If all of the music & lyrics were at the same level as "For Good" there would be quite the score there.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Videos