pixeltracker

Overtures/Musicals 1950-70 (Lil Abner)- Page 2

Overtures/Musicals 1950-70 (Lil Abner)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Posted: 2/2/16 at 7:48pm

10 to 15 seconds into an overture & you  could tell if it was a Jule Styne one. They were really that distinctive. 

Poster Emeritus

Jarethan
Posted: 2/2/16 at 8:50pm

Mr Roxy said: "10 to 15 seconds into an overture & you  could tell if it was a Jule Styne one. They were really that distinctive. 

Absolutely agree.  Even with Darling of the Day, which is not a brassy show, a la Funny Girl or Gypsy or Hallelujah BAby, you knew it was him.  The incredibly smooth transitions and orchestrations were and remain amazing.

Jarethan
Posted: 2/2/16 at 8:50pm

Mr Roxy said: "10 to 15 seconds into an overture & you  could tell if it was a Jule Styne one. They were really that distinctive. 

Absolutely agree.  Even with Darling of the Day, which is not a brassy show, a la Funny Girl or Gypsy or Hallelujah BAby, you knew it was him.  The incredibly smooth transitions and orchestrations were and remain amazing.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
Posted: 2/3/16 at 11:34am

Thanks for the suggestions, Mr. Roxy. I found a lot of what I didn't already have on Apple Music. I've got to agree with an earlier poster re: DEAR WORLD... I know the show wasn't a hit, but what an overture! The Columbia OBC recordings produced by Goddard Lieberson are amazing... I believe Thomas Z. Shepard got his start working with Lieberson at Columbia in 1960. His cast albums definitely reflect Lieberson's influence. Shepard took it a step further by introducing snippets of dialogue, etc. into his recordings. This is something, I read, that Lieberson never wanted to do... 

Videos