News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jarethan

Member Name: Jarethan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

OH, MARY! Reviews
 Jul 24 2024, 10:28:11 PM

Have a question.  I have sat in the second balcony of the Lyceum a few times, and I thought that the seats were pretty good, because it is such a small theatre.  I decided that I was going to get second balcony seats for this, since it doesn't seem like a show that will suffer from cheaper seats.  Going onto Telecharge, they are saying that a number of the second balcony seats are partial view due to a rail in front of the first row.  Is that a real issue?&nb

THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES musical will have pre-Bway tryout this summer in Boston
 Jul 23 2024, 12:23:05 PM

I am going to see this next week -- months ago I organized an outing for myself and 7 other people, four of whom rarely attend the theatre.  I figured Stephen Schwartz and Kristin Chenoweth. .When it was announced, I must admit that I expected it to be a satire of some sort.  Based on the feedback here, I am already squirming a little about how the evening is going to go. 

It is really sounding like one of those 'why the hell did Stephen Schwartz

Report: The Phantom of the Opera May Be Readying an Off-Broadway Return
 Jul 19 2024, 05:34:33 PM

This seems wrong to me.  The longer it is off-Broadway, the longer the delay is for a next Broadway production.  I would imagine that much of the spectacle would be gone / diluted, and they are not going to have a lush orchestra.  Mark me skeptical.  It just doesn’t seem like the right strategic decision.

Happy Birthday Helen Gallagher !!
 Jul 19 2024, 01:57:47 PM

bigbelterbaby said: "Two Time Tony Award winning actress Helen Gallagher turns 98 today!
Any favorite performances from her ? She won her Tonys for Sweet Charity and No No Nanette but starred in 21 Broadway productions.
"

She did not win a Tony for Sweet Charity…she lost to Bea Arthur.  I THINK she won for Hazel Flagg, but could be wrong, since it was a flop.

Very talented.  Did she not become a star because her first big starring role was

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jul 19 2024, 01:54:28 PM

Synecdoche2 said: "I think it's more of a generational thing. Most young people don't read any books at all, especially not classic novels. And if you're in the UK, you probably won't have it assigned in you in school, so you wouldn't be familiar with the book.

Regarding the 2013 film, I think both musicals owe Baz Luhrmann a royalty check for inspiring their design and marketing.
"

What are you thinking of when you refer to Gatsby. &nbs

Kit Connor, Rachel Zegler to star in Sam Gold-directed ROMEO + JULIET
 Jul 18 2024, 11:35:48 AM

I have to admit to being surprised about the advanced sales for this show, at usurious prices yet.  I have reached the following conclusion: the interest is not based on Shakespeare, Sam Gold or Rachel Zigler.  (If she had been announced to play Juliet with an unknown Romeo, would there be any interest?). 

That leads me to conclude that the driver for these sales is solely Kit Connor, based on his TV show, Heartstoppers.  So, who is buying all these tickets?  I

10th anniversary of Heathers
 Jul 16 2024, 04:39:21 PM

Call_me_jorge said: "Is this the longest a phillypinto burner account has been active?"

I have always thought this was Philliepinto, added a little but not matured.

Biggest disappointments from established teams?
 Jul 14 2024, 02:49:43 PM
  • Have to start with Merrily.  Such a disaster that Prince and Sondheim never worked together again.
  • Mr. President.  Huge advance.  Irving Berlin’s return.  Josh Logan directing, Lindsey and Crouse writing the book.  How could it fail?  It ran awhile because of its advance, but was a disaster.  I didn’t see it (the only one on this list I did not see) but it was ‘general’ newsworthy in its day. 
  • Mack and M
SLAVE PLAY headed to London?
 Jul 11 2024, 11:07:49 AM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I saw it twice and don't remember it at all"

The stage was very dark…if you were not very close, you probably wouldn’t know or, more likely , you might realize he was naked even though you couldn’t be sure.  Sorta like Audra in Frankie and Johnnie (who I always assumed was NOT).

Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024 ART
 Jul 10 2024, 12:09:00 PM

I saw this show last night.  Fifth row center orchestra for $94 (although I am a donor, so that may be a factor in the price).

It was really a great production.  I don't know where to start, but on reflection, I think the book is the right place.  It IS The Great Gatsby brought to life on stage.  The minor changes that were made to me represented an improvement on the book, e.g.,increasing the size of Myrtle's role to make her more sympathetic, not

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG Reviews
 Dec 31 1899, 07:19:56 PM

Wick3 said: "I agreeit's Radcliffe who helpedsell out this production with his worldwide fanbase. I believe Sondheim only knew of Radcliffe being casted before had passed away. Personally I wished they had casted 3 truly longtime friends in real life (Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson,... and another longtime friend) but I'm also very happy with this trio. I still think this musical would have struggled if it didn't have an A-list celebrity (Radcliffe) in its cast.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way To the Forum film
 Jul 8 2024, 02:23:55 PM

I agree with a lot of the criticism.  I saw the revivals with Phil Silvers and Nathan Lane and loved them both.  This was a musical comedy where the music was the worst part of the show.  Comedy Tonight and Everybody Oughta Have a Maid are the only songs that I felt I’d ever want to hear again.   A number of songs were comical, e.g., Lovely and I, Miles Gloriosis, but there were too many of them.  IMO Richard Lester’s direction was awful, but I am not

Jul 4 2024, 11:18:26 PM

Mr. Wormwood said: "^^ well said

I saw it today for the first time. I feel like a lot has been said but I was so pleasantly surprised by how strong Mendez was. I kind of got the vibe that she was the weakest of the three but I adored her in the role. Maybe more than Radcliffe though he was great too.
"

My son and daughter-in-law, not regular theatre goers, saw it two weeks ago and thought it was great; they singled her performance as the glue that makes it

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 4 2024, 04:41:04 PM

blaxx said: "Jarethan said: "MichelleCraig said: "WAIT UNTIL DARK was originally on Broadway with Lee Remick in 1966. It was revived in 1998 with Marisa Tomei and Quentin Tarantino.

I'monly familiar with the film adaptation starring Audrey Hepburn. Does anyone here have knowledge or opinions on the stage version(s)? Do you think it could work on Broadway today?
"

This is probably semantics, but I think of Wait Until Dark as a thril

Jul 4 2024, 02:36:39 PM

Kad said: "Merrily is in a class by itself simply because it took a show that originally ran 60 performances (for comparison's sake, 8 performances fewer than Lempicka) and was critically and popularly savaged and turned it into a blockbuster critical and popular hit that won 4 Tonys. No other flop of that magnitude has had such a turnaround.

The popular narrative is that Chicago turned an overlooked show into a hit, but even the original Chicago still managed to run a

Jason Robert Brown, Taylor Mac, Rob Ashford collaborating on MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL musical adaptation
 Jul 4 2024, 12:52:26 PM

It sounds like Lady Chablis is the main character in this.   Clearly that was not the case with the movie (aI did not read the book).  Is she the lead role?  If so, what is the impact she n the original story?

Jul 4 2024, 12:47:56 PM

I suspect the Merrily will also have the distinction of being the only show ever to have played over 300 performances and closed, never having played to an empty seat.  Most producers would have extended with a different cast, and sooner or later had empty seats.  Must be a strange record.  

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 4 2024, 12:39:46 PM

MichelleCraig said: "WAIT UNTIL DARK was originally on Broadway with Lee Remick in 1966. It was revived in 1998 with Marisa Tomei and Quentin Tarantino.

I'monly familiar with the film adaptation starring Audrey Hepburn. Does anyone here have knowledge or opinions on the stage version(s)? Do you think it could work on Broadway today?
"

This is probably semantics, but I think of Wait Until Dark as a thriller, not horror.  I saw it in a pretty empty B

OH, MARY! Previews
 Jul 3 2024, 08:55:43 PM

kdogg36 said: "Given the choice between similarly priced seats marked partial view, would you pick front mezzanine extreme audience left, or front row balcony relatively close to the center?"

I will only say that I think the second balcony seats in the Lyceum are pretty decent.  It is a small theatre.

Horror On Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 08:54:16 PM

KevinKlawitter said: "Dracula is always a reliable show, and it hit the public domain recently."

I think the last production of Dracula on Broadway was in 1973.  It put more emphasis on sexiness and the look of the production.  I do t see horror attracting enough of an audience unless it happens to have a movie star in the lead.

Re Deathtrap, it really was not a horror show; also, based on seeing a production in London 7-8 years ago, it is pretty cre

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You