News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jarethan

Member Name: Jarethan
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/5/24  May 7 2024, 05:08:42 PM

The average ticket price for most of these new musicals is also pretty discouraging…they are playing to heavily discount Ted audiences.

Dancin vs Illinoise  May 7 2024, 03:31:31 PM

To me, Dancin was a bore in the 70s.  I know it was a big hit, but Fosse was hot at the time.

I felt there was a sameness in having one dance number after another, with no connecting thread.  I was bored before the 3rd act began.  I may be incorrect, but I do remember 2 intermissions.  I have to admit that I felt the same way about Jerome Robbin’s Broadway.  Too much of a good thing.

ILLINOISE Reviews  May 4 2024, 12:43:05 PM

gibsons2 said: "hork said: "Matt Rogers said: "Does anyone dislike this thing or is justtotal love? I recently saw it and my opinion definitely does not match theraves posted here or from the critics."

I wouldn’t say I disliked it, per se, but I definitely didn’t like it. It felt like a weird pantomimed production of Godspell a lot of the time.
"

I felt I was at some sort of dance school finals or something, not a

re: What Times Square Area Buildings Use To Be Theaters?  May 4 2024, 01:16:09 AM

i bigbelterbaby said: "Bumping this thread for anyone interested.

Still don’t understand what they’re doing with the Tine Square Theatre that sits eerily on 42nd Street and the Liberty that gets used for parties but is an in-tact Broadway house. Although since it was moved I guess there’s little street access and backstage areas.

If down the road late night shows aren’t a thing anymore, t

Insert name of show : posting closing notices  May 3 2024, 11:16:09 AM

Broadway Flash said: "What am I smoking? Did I lie?"

You didn’t lie…you are either hallucinating or hoping wishes will come true.

LEMPICKA closing May 19  May 3 2024, 11:13:33 AM

Wick3 said: "I enjoyed watching this show and hope a lot of Tony voters will watch it before it closes.

My friend prefers to pronounce the title thePolish way: Lempitska. I’ll admit I prefer it that way too and if there’s ever a revival, would be interesting if they choose to pronounce it that way.
"

Curious what you think Tony voters would do if they saw it?  Re a potential revival, i assume this show will disappear once it closes.

Insert name of show : posting closing notices  May 2 2024, 11:39:09 PM

Broadway Flash said: "Suffs needs to win the Tony award to stick around. The Great Gatsby is not going anywhere anytime soon. They have enough of an advance to last them for a year, and then probably stunt casting after the original casts contracts are up. They will be making over a million a week for the rest of the year. The Broadway Theatre will not be availablenext season."

What are you smoking????

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  May 2 2024, 05:07:18 PM

Kad said: "I don’t even think hearthemsing22 knows why or what they’re arguing."

I hope so, because I interpret it as a very elitist point of view.

Only 3 have swept all the Theatre Awards  May 2 2024, 01:52:46 PM

FLarnhill said: "Zeppie2022 said: "I was wondering how Nathan Lane did not win all awards in 2001 for "The Producers". I did not know until I looked that the "Theater World" award is for performers making their NYC stage debut. I now understand why only three people have swept all these awards."

What's impressive is that these people have swept in their debut.
"

Not at all.  It was their BROADWAY debut only. &

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  May 2 2024, 11:05:11 AM

hearthemsing22 said: "dramamama611 said: "Bringing art to people that can't afford to get to NYC isnt "necessary"? Then why tour anything? I also don't care how producers choose to spend their money. They have plenty."

Sorry let me rephrase- bringing certain shows that were successful on Broadway isn't always needed on tour, or in the west end, and vice versa. It's unbelievable that Merrily has had the success it's been expe

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  May 1 2024, 10:43:13 AM

hearthemsing22 said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "Quit while you're ahead is probably especially true forSondheim shows.Merrily We Roll is also another hit revival of his not attempting replacement casting.

No Sondheim show has ever run for 1,000 performanceson Broadway, thoughA Funny Thing Happened on the Way came close with964 performances. Compared to other giants of the theater, his shows don't seem to lend themselves to replacement casts and indefinite runs

Your Single Favorite 2024 Tony Nomination  Apr 30 2024, 07:37:26 PM

I can’t get it to one, so I will cheat.  Daniel Radcliffe, who should have had several nominations by now; and Rachel McAdams, who took a big risk tackling that role as her Broadway debut.

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 4/28/24  Apr 30 2024, 03:33:46 PM

I was unsure as to whether Sutton Foster and Aaron Tveit would sell many tickets to ST.  I am happy to see how well it has done.  It probably could have run through the summer and continued the impressive grosses had they decided to extend early on.  

I continue to be really surprised that SUFFS has not caught on yet.  I figured the solid (if not spectacular) reviews, coupled with the subject matter, would have resulted in much more comfortable grosses.

Insert name of show : posting closing notices  Apr 30 2024, 11:50:38 AM

The Wiz was always a limited run to August 18th, but I wonder if this will kneecap it into closing early."

I doubt that The Wiz’s target audience even knows what the Tony’s are.  Won’t impact it an iota.  I expect great business all summer.  Time will tell if they extend.

2024 Tony Predictions  Apr 28 2024, 10:28:52 PM

MadsonMelo said: "Voter said: "I am expecting a huge SURPRISE nomination that we are not expecting or oversaw. Thoughts? Wondering what could it be? (Example: Nikki M James in The Book of Mormon)"

I'm 100% expecting a Mike Faist type of nomination at this point.
"

??????

farewell Kimmy!  Apr 28 2024, 07:24:17 PM

FLarnhill said: "We just had two in a row Best Musical winners (ASL, Kimmy) close. Keep telling me how the Tonys (or awards in general) are still meaningful? Especiallywhen Wicked's now old enough to drink."

Both are small ‘niche’ shows which do not have broad appeal, regardless of their quality.  Same was true of Fun Home and The Band’s Visit.  I expected Hadestown to be niche as well, but I was wrong.  Wicked is a fairly cl

CABARET at the Kit Kat Club (2024) Opening Night Critics' Reviews  Apr 26 2024, 02:12:35 PM

ColorTheHours048 said: "Eddie3 said: "I wonder if the negative Cabaret reviews bode poorly for the upcoming Sunset Blvd. production. It's an enjoyable production, but I wonder if it, too, suffers from too much shtick, which may be called out in New York."

I think the biggest differences to keep in mind here are that 1) we’ve never gotten a major revival of Sunset Boulevard in NYC before that wasn’t basically a concert mo

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards  Apr 24 2024, 10:31:41 PM

MemorableUserName said: "Jarethan said: "MemorableUserName said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "MemorableUserName said: "While conceding it's meaningless for the Tonys, Justin Guarini being recognized here is nice to see. He was terrific in a show that otherwise was not."

I thought Justin Guarini and Jennifer Simard were both incredible in Once Upon... Unfortunately they submitted Guariniunder lead actor at the Tonys which all b

UNCLE VANYA 2024 Broadway Reviews  Apr 24 2024, 09:42:02 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "DTLI Consensus:Its existence is tedious, anyway: it is a senseless, dirty revival, thisVanya.

9 mixed (including the NYT), 2 negative, 1 positive.

https://didtheylikeit.com/shows/uncle-vanya-bway/
"

Has anything this season gotten worse reviews???

2024 Outer Critics Circle Nominations & Awards  Apr 24 2024, 03:37:10 PM

MemorableUserName said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "MemorableUserName said: "While conceding it's meaningless for the Tonys, Justin Guarini being recognized here is nice to see. He was terrific in a show that otherwise was not."

I thought Justin Guarini and Jennifer Simard were both incredible in Once Upon... Unfortunately they submitted Guariniunder lead actor at the Tonys which all but killed any sliver of a chance he had.
"

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You