Unexpected Song

eyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
#25re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 9:12am

Bernadette personifies what Broadway is all about. I love the rest of the Song and Dance CD and I would have killed to see the performance since it had to have been incredibly challenging. But, like the original post implied, it's a shame that someone didn't say, "Gee...it sounds like you're getting really tired. Let's do a re-take on that one when your voice is stronger."

Plum
#26re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 9:17am

It might have been a situation like Elaine Stritch in Company- late in the recording session, when she couldn't have possibly gotten refreshed without getting some sleep. Maybe they didn't want to pay for another day of recording. If DAME is right, maybe Ms. Peters didn't even have time for another day of recording. Kind of a shame, but things like that happen.

Never mind, I have her performance in Hey, Mr. Producer to treasure.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#27re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 9:29am

To me, her performance as Dot in Sunday in the Park with George will always be the pinnacle. She never ceases to amaze me with the depth of her emotion, and her commitment to ever moment on stage. I'd imagine she's a wonderful person to be around in real time also.(at least in my mind and heart she is) I was cast once in a show that was being cast by her sister (and if they're not identical twins, you could sure fool me) and her sister was a doll to work for...its been so many years that I can't even remember her name this morning (not enough coffee)...but it was a wonderful moment, singing for that smiling face!

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

eyeonbroadway
#28re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 10:09am

I really loved her as Dot, too. I thought she and Mandy played off each other well in that show, each with their characteristic levels of intensity. Great theatre!

Plum
#29re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 10:54am

Oh, I love her performance in Sunday in the Park With George. She's one of the main reasons it's my favorite Sondheim, and probably my favorite cast recording overall. Just the way she sings "We Do Not Belong Together" is so moving. *sniffle*

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#30re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 10:59am

Redhot - her sister is Donna DeSeta.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#31re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 11:47am

I usually like her but really can't stand to listen to the whole of the Song and Dance OBCR. She sounds strangled, the accent shouldn't even have been attempted, and the sound quality overall is pretty bad - the original London version is far better, and you get the instrumental second act as well! The only down side is that Unexpected Song in it's final form isn't on there . . .

eyeonbroadway
#32re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 12:03pm

Who was in the original London cast of Song and Dance?

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#33re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 12:16pm

Marti Webb. Great cd

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

th
#34re: Unexpected Song
Posted: 7/12/04 at 12:34pm

I just wanted to make one thing clear and that is I am huge Bernadette Peters fan, and think she is awesome, and I am hoping that she does do the "Gypsy" tour because I missed seeing her by a couple of weeks. Love her or hate her, you cannot deny all that she has accomplished, and brought to the theatre.

Videos