pixeltracker

Which Arthur Miller plays would make good musicals?- Page 2

Which Arthur Miller plays would make good musicals?

B.B. Wolf
#25re: Which Arthur Miller plays would make good musicals?
Posted: 10/13/04 at 1:56pm

I saw the telecast of Streetcar, kj. The guy playing Stanley was perfect physically for the part. He was big, broad and cut, BUT he had the typical operatic baritone problem: swallowing the tone. He sounded like he was singing into a bucket.
But the music just never went anywhere, on a journey WITH the characters, I mean. All of the best (IMHO) operas all have this facet. Listen to the evolution of Rodolfo's theme from Boheme throughout Act Two, or the intractibility of Carmen's theme contrasted with the withering of Don Jose' in Act Three of that masterpiece. Anyway, I need to shut up now.
Mary are there any sound clips of Up from Paradise anywhere? I know it may be a longshot, but you've piqued my interest. :)

Word. Word, indeed.

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#26re: Which Arthur Miller plays would make good musicals?
Posted: 10/13/04 at 4:26pm

Wow guys, I didn't even know there was a musical for "Creation of the World and Other Business." I really like the play so I bet the musical would have been awesome! I hope someone does a revival of it soon, or at least before I die.

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

Barihunk Profile Photo
Barihunk
#27re: Which Arthur Miller plays would make good musicals?
Posted: 10/13/04 at 4:47pm

William Bolcom's is not the only operatic "A View from the Bridge". Renzo Rossellini wrote "Uno Sguardo Dal Ponte" which was premiered in Parma in 1963 with great italian basso Nicola Rossi-Lemeni starring as Eddie Carbone.

"When you're a gay man, you have to feel good about yourself when a urologist says, "Yeah. I pick you". - Happy Endings
Updated On: 10/13/04 at 04:47 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#28re: Which Arthur Miller plays would make good musicals?
Posted: 10/13/04 at 4:55pm

I have always thought The Crucible would make a good musical. It's compelling with loads of tension that could easily be enhanced in the hands of a good composer.

Keeping in the period and theme, I also thought The Witch of Blackbird Pond would make an excellent musical. Though not as hard-hitting as The Crucible, it would make an excellent family show, but still keep its dark undertones. Lucy Simon perhaps....

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos