News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses- Page 2

Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#25re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 9:59pm

Well Broadwaygirl,
I saw Menzel, Chenoweth and Pinkins.
To be honest, Stephanie is on for 90 percent of the show and her parts are much more demanding.
We can disagree on this one.
I also thought that Pinkins gave the performance of a lifetime in Caroline.

edenespinosalover Profile Photo
edenespinosalover
#26re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:00pm

Tonya shoulda won the Tony.

Derek
#27re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:01pm

Okay, every single actress this year could have def. walked away with the Tony. They all deserved it. Tonya had a very demanding role, and from her recording she was great. Donna was so funny and so on! Stephanie was so cute and funny. They were all fantastic. The role of the Wicked Witch of the West was the most WELL KNOWN part created this year. Almost everyone in the country knows (or thinks they know) the story of the green, mean old "dog hating" woman. Idina had to take this image and twist it for America without confusing them. Throughout the entire show you can hear and see all of her emotions. She is dead on like a target. She went on this amazing rollar coaster ride during the show. She had 3 showstopping numbers that needed to be on night after night and leave the audience satisfied with their new "image" of Oz. That is a very difficult thing to do with audiences that "thought" they knew the story since 1900. I think she did an amazing job, as a fresh new actress and singer.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#28re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:04pm

Corine, if you want to talk demanding, I think belting a high F twice within one song during one of the most emotionally powerful moments of the show is far more difficult than any puppetry Stephanie had to do. But that's not even the point. There are moments where Menzel wasn't making a sound and it her performance was still screaming "Tony win."

AS for everyone saying Tonya deserved the award, I hardly disagree...everything abotu her performance was Tony worthy. I personally am partial to Menzel's work though. Updated On: 12/29/04 at 10:04 PM

BSoBW2
#29re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:05pm

and if tonya won, this would be saying idina should have won, etc

Derek
#30re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:12pm

Like I said, they were all Tony worthy

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#31re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:15pm

Amen! re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses

-Vincent

Derek
#32re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:19pm

lol :)

BSoBW2
#33re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:20pm

it was just stephanie, idina, KC, and tonya, right?

BroadwayGirl107
#34re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:20pm

Donna...

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#35re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 10:58pm

To the person who said that they don't see what there is to like about John Tartaglia:

YOU'RE ON DRUGS.

Have you seen the show? I've seen it several times, and John is BY FAR the most energetic, fun performer I've EVER seen working on the boards. Every move and facial expression of his was rehearsed to a tee. You can tell that the amount of work that he put into developing his characterizations was immense.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#36re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:28pm

While I know that I'll be yelled at for this, I can't help it:
I wanted Kristin to win the Tony, I like her better than Idina

there i said it, shoot me because I like Kristin over Idina

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#37re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:35pm

I completely agree with TabooWickedFan. Petrified alone should have won the Tony for Raúl.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#38re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:38pm

I liked all the women in the Tony category.
Kristin, Donna, Stephanie and Tonya are all deserving.
And yes, John is a genius.

BroadwayGirl107
#39re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:41pm

"YOU'RE ON DRUGS."

Thanks. The mature way to handle somebody having different taste than you will always with them to your side. I think he's nothing special. And yes, I have seen the show (I think the show itself is overrated, but I won't get into that)...It's great that he puts a lot of work to what he's doing, but that doesn't make him that great. I just don't see anything spectacular about him.

SallyBrown, I have friends who in general prefer Kristin's work over Idina's, but they admit Idina's performance was more deserving of the Tony. Just because you like her style better does not mean she gave the better performance.

Peppermint Patty
#40re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:42pm

I like John Tartaglia, but he isn't amazing.

"It's a privelege to pee"-Urinetown

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#41re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:48pm

well-
while I do admit that Idina was deserving of the Tony, I do wish Kritin could get past her barrier of supporting actress know what I mean? now I know everyone's arguement is that she can't do dramatic scenes, but there were a few drama scenes she did for Wicked, and she did them fine, but I dunno. I'll respect your devotion to Idina as long as I get to keep my devotion to Kristin....one loss only makes one stronger right? I'm sure she'll get another chance anyway

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

BSoBW2
#42re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:52pm

Barrett Foa is just as good

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#43re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:56pm

"Thanks. The mature way to handle somebody having different taste than you will always with them to your side. I think he's nothing special."

It's not a matter of taste. He's a superb actor. If you can't see that, then it's not my problem.

You also claim that Idina's acting in "Wicked" is top-notch, and that speaks a whole hell of a lot more about your 'taste' than I ever could.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

belterboi Profile Photo
belterboi
#44re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/29/04 at 11:58pm

This may be random: but ragtime losing to lion king for best musical...sucked..i'm sorry

Loppy Profile Photo
Loppy
#45re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:03am

TLK should have beaten out Ragtime-no question

Stephanie D'Abruzzo should have beaten out Idina Menzel. ANY of the other nominees should have beaten out Old Screechy.

And John Tartaglia is friggen amazing.

And, before you try to tell me otherwise, I'm right. And there is nothing to say about that.

belterboi Profile Photo
belterboi
#46re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:06am

k...i just gotta say if a show wins best score and best book..it should win best musical....i'd rather see a show with an amazing score and book over a show designed for eye candy...ps john is amazing

BroadwayGirl107
#47re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:08am

Right magic8ball. I know nothing about acting. I've had no training at all...I know nothing and I could not see good acting if you showed it to me. And I am going to hell for it. There is *nothing* "superb" about his performance in Avenue Q.

You're really going to tell me it's not a matter of taste? I could just as easliy say that there IS no question; Menzel is a fantastic actress and anyone with half a brain could see that. And your labelling Tartaglia's acting as "superb" speaks a lot about YOUR taste....now couldn't I? Updated On: 12/30/04 at 12:08 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#48re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:14am

People just seem extra dense tonight, for some reason. Whoever said that Idina Menzel is a better actress than Kristin Chenoweth better re-examine their earlier bodies of work. I have a feeling that most people saying that Idina is better than Kristin have only seen WICKED and think Idina is God. The fact is, they can both sing amazingly well. Kristin can act circles around Idina - in anything. Kristin did not give a Tony Award winning performance in WICKED - no one did, but her performance deserves more merit than that of Idina Menzel, who was very amateur and annoying in the role. She was amateur and annoying in RENT as well - but it worked. This is obviously all based on opinion, but for Idina Menzel to win the most coveted theatre award for her barely mediocre performance in a mediocre show is a tragedy. Tony Pinkins, without a doubt, gave a superior performance to anyone else's in that category.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#49re: Unjustified Tony Wins and Losses
Posted: 12/30/04 at 12:21am

I apologize for being all diffensive-like, I am very hostile when it comes to Kristin Chenoweth cuz I'm pretty sick of ppl making fun of her (I know no one here really made fun of her but i think you know what i mean) and reducing her to a lesser actress than Idina.

Videos