pixeltracker

Sheryl Lee Ralph is MARGO in APPLAUSE at REPRISE- Page 2

Sheryl Lee Ralph is MARGO in APPLAUSE at REPRISE

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#25re: Sheryl Lee Ralph is MARGO in APPLAUSE at REPRISE
Posted: 4/7/05 at 8:15pm

Before you all send darts in my direction...

First of all I'm a REPRISE subscriber so my ticket has been paid for long before you all started even speculating about this casting....

Second of all, I like Sheryl and Jean Louisa a LOT...I loved Sheryl in Dreamgirls and I loved Jean Louisa in Pippin and Company..I think they're both PHENOMENAL performers- just totally wrong for THESE ROLES.

Secondly, I don't have a problem with an African-American playing Margo. I had actually thought from the beginning that Diahann Carroll (for one) would be one of several perfect choices for Margo (along with Stockard Channing, Faye Dunaway or even La Lupone).

I would have loved to see Sheryl in a variety of roles, just NOT the role of Margo. I am a huge fan of the original Dreamgirls; I have seen Sheryl on stage several times (Millie, Divas Simply Singing, etc.) and I have a lot of respect and admiration for her. I just don't think this is the right role for her.

At any rate, I could be proven wrong..and if I am, I'll be the first one outside the stage door to congratulate her...

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#26re: Sheryl Lee Ralph is MARGO in APPLAUSE at REPRISE
Posted: 4/8/05 at 5:51pm

Broadway Baby, as a fellow Reprise subscriber, my advice is to we wait and see. Sometimes "miscasting" can actually work, and maybe in the case of a show as problematic as Applause, it might just make it more interesting. Who knows? Miss Ralph is not a huge star, but she is a glamorous diva personified. Though she might not be the first or even next to last person you'd think about to cast in the role, she might very well suprise us in a most pleasant way. Plus, unlike Miss Bacall's OBC recording, we'll get to hear the songs sung but a real singer, and maybe they'll sound that much better. As to Julia, Kevin, and Veanne, wow! I'd see them in anything! So even though I feel some disappointment as I was thinking they'd cast a bigger name star as Margo, I am most definitely looking forward to the show, and because I go on one of the nights when there is the GLBT reception afterwards, I'll be able to tell Veanne what a goddess she is and how much I adored her in Caroline or Change, as well as tell Miss Kelly how much I loved her in Company and Pippin, and just to say hi again to Mr. Earley. That's enough for the price of the ticket! (This time I need to bring my camera!) By the way, what date is your reservation for?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#27re: Sheryl Lee Ralph is MARGO in APPLAUSE at REPRISE
Posted: 4/8/05 at 6:30pm

I DO remember that "Curtain Call" @ the end. One of the best designed ever!

KindnessofStrangers
#28re: Sheryl Lee Ralph is MARGO in APPLAUSE at REPRISE
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:54pm

"because I go on one of the nights when there is the GLBT reception afterwards, I'll be able to tell Veanne what a goddess she is and how much I adored her in Caroline or Change, as well as tell Miss Kelly how much I loved her in Company and Pippin, and just to say hi again to Mr. Earley. That's enough for the price of the ticket!"

Same here. By any chance are you attending the "neighborhood night" for Play Without Words tomorrow?

Videos