News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for eslgr8

eslgr8 Profile Photo
Member Name: eslgr8
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Web Site: http://stagescenela.com/
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: PARADE in Los Angeles  Jul 15 2008, 12:20:55 PM
Here's my review of the opening night performance:

The lynching of Jewish Northerner Leo Frank, falsely convicted of murdering 13-year-old Georgia factory worker Mary Phagan, remains today, nearly a century later, one of the most serious miscarriages of justice (and instances of anti-Semitism) in United States history. Powerful stuff for a Broadway musical, and one that would seem, at least on paper, more than a bit of a downer. Parade (with music and lyrics by Jason Robert Brown and bo

re: The Last Five Years in LA  Jul 14 2008, 12:06:44 PM
Hi Logan,
I'm hoping to see it opening weekend, probably the first Sunday performance. I hope it's good. The Pasadena Playhouse production with Daniel Tatar and Misty Cotton is a hard act to follow. I love this show so much I don't want to miss it.

LAStageScene.com now has 1025 myspace friends and growing  Oct 13 2007, 06:12:36 PM
It's been a while since I've posted here, so hi to those who've joined during my absence.

I wanted to let you know (especially those in the L.A. area) about LAStageScene.com, my theater review site. For anyone looking to "accentuate the positive in Los Angeles theater," please do visit the site regularly, as a new review is posted almost daily. We also list upcoming productions and have other interesting features.

LAStageScene.com has attracted a few detractors, who feel

re: Kelli Fournier  Oct 13 2007, 05:59:48 PM
Kelli (now Kelli Provart) just opened last night in Jekyll & Hyde in Fullerton, CA.
My new website LAStageScene.com has reviewed it, and there's a stage door pic of Kelli with the review.
Kelli is gorgeous and gives a wow of a performance!
Steven S:)

Steven Stanley
Editor
www.LAStageScene.com<
“Accentuating the Positive in L.A. Theater”

I saw her perform just last August  Apr 19 2007, 04:23:11 AM
Just last August 6, I had one of the most thrilling experiences of my theatergoing life when I attended Kitty Carlisle Hart's hour-long concert at the El Portal Theater in North Hollywood. Ms. Hart STOOD for the entire performance (the third of a three-days-in-a-row series), as she told fascinating anecdotes of her many legendary friends including George Gershwin and Cole Porter (reading from a three-ring-bindered script atop a music stand), and sang over a dozen songs in the voice of a far you
There's an excellent new musical in L.A. called Mommy! Mommy!  Mar 19 2007, 07:23:17 PM
Almost exactly a year ago, I saw a workshop production of "Mommy The Musical," featuring Heidi Godt, the lovely star of "The Breakup Notebook." It was a 80ish-minute One Act about 4 mommies, from their children's infancy through high school. Directed/choreographed by Kay Cole, and written by Elin Hampton, it (as they say) "had potential." The biggest drawback was it's incomplete feel and an unmemorable score.

Here we are, a year later, and the show is back with a second act, a appropria

Any good theater in L.A.?  Feb 1 2007, 12:51:55 PM
I recommend Moment in the Sun, The Beastly Bombing, Defiance, The Zoo Story, The Bacchae, Taken, 13, 1 to 10?, and Confessions of a Mormon Boy. February is full of exciting theater in L.A. with a different show on my calendar virtually every day! Check out my blog for my reviews, and join me on myspace.
camelot...  Jan 16 2007, 01:38:15 PM

re: NEIL PATRICK HARRIS 'Official' Coming Out--People Magazine  Nov 5 2006, 04:27:53 AM
Just happened to pop in for the first time in months to see what you all would say about this. The absolute idiocy expressed in many of these posts is why I regret even dropping back in. The number of people who don't get why Neil's coming out is important makes me almost doubt that the gay community can continue to move forward. Keep on spouting your "he didn't need to come out" or "he was already out" or "it was his 'private' life" as long as you wish. Babble on! You are wrong. Period.
re: SIDES: The Fear is Real - Emcee's review  Sep 28 2006, 03:23:13 AM
Thanks to this thread that you started, Emcee, I went to see Sides tonight and of course I loved it! What's not to love?! The audience was in hysterics from the getgo. Yes, it was over the top and at times I would have enjoyed a few more "realistic" moments, but the "auditions" were certainly centered in the truth, and I think there were a lot of actors in the audience, judging from their very enthusiastic response. It's great that these 6 talented Asian-American actors were able to bring th
re: Altar Boyz tour cast announced  Sep 16 2006, 02:57:09 PM
3 of them on myspace:

Matthew:

http://www.myspace.com/buckyson

John:

http://www.myspace.com/jagsuperstar

Nick:

http://www.myspace.com/55353773

re: RABBIT HOLE opens in L.A. to a rave from the L.A. Times  Sep 16 2006, 04:21:21 AM
I agree with MacNulty 100%. It's a beautiful production and beautifully cast. Heart-wrenching and often hilarious. Tate Donovan is a revelation! A MUST-SEE.
Plus DO NOT FORGET Lawrence Fishburne and Angela Bassett in Fences...if you can get a ticket. Unforgettable!

Randy Graff, Liz Callaway, and Malcolm Gets in Elegies--in L.A. One Night Only--this Monday!  Sep 6 2006, 02:41:54 AM
ELEGIES: A Song Cycle
By William Finn

Originally produced by Lincoln Center Theatre, New York City

Directed by David Lee

Starring
Amick Byram
Tony Award nominee Liz Callaway
Tony Award nominee Malcolm Gets
Tony Award winner Randy Graff
Daniel Tatar

An uplifting evening of witty and moving songs that serve as musical love letters, remembering the lives of those we’ve lost with joy and light, and the affirmation of every moment.
re: Reprise! My One and Only  Sep 6 2006, 02:38:15 AM
I'm seeing it on Friday. I can't wait!
Best INTO THE WOODS ever, now playing in the OC!  Aug 29 2006, 01:30:42 PM
Time to give Moviefone and Fandango a rest and see live theater with live actors live and in person for the best entertainment in town! Here are two shows you won't want to miss:

INTO THE WOODS (The Chance Theater, Anaheim) What, you've seen Into the Woods before? What musical theater fan hasn't? Actually, that's even more reason to see Oanh Nguyen's brilliant reinvisioning of this contemporary Sondheim classic. I loved Jon Lawrence Rivera's recent monochromatic warzone Woods

re: Why I Adore and Respect Josh.  Jun 27 2006, 06:31:59 PM
DG says: "And I saw Mr. Stanley at a matinee this afternoon. Nothing has changed.
What the heck is that comment supposed to mean? What could I have possibly done at the matinee to prompt your uncalled for remark, except Mr. Grant that you're as much of a creep as ever?
(I would have sent this privately but Mr. Grant does not accept private messages from me.)

re: Neil Patrick Harris on Regis and Kelly  Jun 21 2006, 11:23:10 AM
Sorry gymman, Neil Patrick Harris has never revealed his sexual orientation in print or any other medium. He is not out, as the meaning of the term for a celebrity is pretty cut and dry. Has come out to the media. Wilson Cruz is out. Chad Allen is out. John Tartaglia is out. Neil Patrick Harris is not out, and however open he may be with friends/colleagues does not in any way, shape, or form make him an out or "openly gay" actor.
re: Stephanie J. Block at another benefit June 12th  Jun 13 2006, 02:35:16 AM
Have we lost Stephanie to the Big Apple for good?
re: Worst Speech of the Night?  Jun 12 2006, 02:55:15 AM
Once again, the level of maturity and compassion of people here absolutely astounds me. (And not in a good way.)
Los Angeles/San Diego Musicals Sweep Tonys!  Jun 12 2006, 02:07:34 AM
Though nary a mention of it was made, The Drowsy Chaperone delighted Los Angeles audiences (and many SoCal-based bww.com posters) at our fabulous Ahmanson Theater months before it hit Broadway. (Yes, it's a Canadian creation, but the production currently on Broadway debuted here in L.A.!) And Jersey Boys was yet another directorial triumph by Des Macanuff of the La Jolla Playhouse. We in Southern California can take great joy in having seen and loved the year's biggest Tony winners long befor
You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You