News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned- Page 2

Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned

missy2
#25re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/6/05 at 3:52pm

I am also a tremendous wicked fan - and i'm mid 40s as well. Let's hear it for the middle aged wicked fans (who look quite a bit younger than their years - - right). I've seen it eight times on Broadway. Traveled to Toronto to see Stephanie and, because I have a friend who is friends's with Kate's agent, I'm going to see it again in Chicago over labor day.

I am looking forward to seeing the cast in Chicago. Toronto was great as well...but my favorite team is still Kristen and Idina (we were at Kristen's last performance and Idina's last day (when she came out in the red track suit).

I will report back in full post-Chicago!

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#26re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:43pm

Wow! Thank you all for your very kind and supportive comments about my review. I am going to try to PM every one of you in response to your posts. How encouraging you've been!

I'm also glad that the "over 40" crowd is not only admitting that they like "Wicked"...but also admitting you're "over 40"! It's not so bad once you get used to it. Missy2...when I look at myself, I think "How did I get to be this old???" But people always tell me that when they first met me, they thought I was in my 30s until I told them my real age. And I am SURE that all of those people are RIGHT and I am soooo wrong! re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned

Hey, now that there's a BWW Student Board, maybe we old people are next in line for our own special place. re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned

Thanks again.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#27re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:50pm

It's underrated??

I don't think the creators of WICKED have to worry about their bank accounts being empty for the next 20+ years. They can all just sit back and hear the girls scream.

Which is of course aside from the fact that the show sucks. re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

#28re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:15am

Good Point Foster. I saw the box office numbers this weekend and couldn't help but add it up: Between the Gershwin, Chicago and the tour, Wicked is selling almost $4 Million in tickets a week. It also has the second-highest merchandise sales and the cast album has sold almost a million copies. I can only dream that some day I could create something that would suck half that much.

TennesseeTwang
#29re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:44am

I didn't care for Wicked, yet I'd never question someone's sanity, taste, sophistication, maturity or make assumptions about sexual orientation because they love it.

As a poster upthread noted, that's why they make Chocolate and Vanilla. It just stands to reason that if yo live long enough, there will be some wildly popular movie, book, play or TV show that you just can't understand what all the fuss is about.

It doesn't mean that you or the people who love the phnomena are crazy. Just different.

bwayrunner22 Profile Photo
bwayrunner22
#30re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:06am

Thanks for the great review. I'm going to see the show at the Wednesday matinee and am extremely excited. I saw the show in New York and was blown away. If anyone hear can tell me how the seats in row BB of the dress circle are I may be able to relax a bit. I'm introducing my older cousin and grandmother to the show and I hope that they will be able to enjoy it.

As for Rondi Reed and Gene Weygandt they actually have acted together before. They went to college together in my hometown of Normal, Illinois at Illinois State University. They were in the same shows throughout their college carreer and, as they said in their interview together, are very comfortable with each other.

miss pennywise
#31re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:15am

Thank you, TennesseTwang, for stating such a simple truth yet one that flies in the face of a large proportion of BWW message board posters. Why such nastiness on this board because someone likes one thing that another does not care for?

I admit that some performers and some productions make my skin crawl, but I don't feel the need to make the person who likes what I don't feel like an idiot. In fact, I find it interesting to read what people have to say about their theatrical obsessions so I can better understand what it is that people are responding to that I just don't see. It doesn't mean I'm going to change how I feel about something, but then again you never know.

Although I am labeled an extremely "liberal" person, I have my close-minded tendencies like everyone else and sometimes reading a post about a show I had no intention of seeing will make me give it a chance. If the poster's writing is intelligent and compelling, I may even make a trip half-way across the country to see it (nudge, nudge, Joe!).

For example, I saw "Floyd Collins" and did not care for it at all. Now we have "Light in the Piazza" by the same composer, based on a mediocre movie that I saw when I was a kid (about 4 times...because it was always on TV!) Plus, the topic of the show is a difficult one for me for personal reasons I don't want to go into here.

HOWEVER, I am planning to see it on my next trip to NYC because so many people on this board WHOM I RESPECT like it. So I'm going. Who knows? Maybe I'll love it too. But maybe I won't. And that will be okay, you know?

Again, thanks for your statement. I wholeheartedly agree!

~ Best12Bars

miss pennywise
#32re: Wicked 8/3 Chicago Matinee - Sexual Orientation Unquestioned
Posted: 8/8/05 at 11:20am

~ Best12Bars