pixeltracker

50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956- Page 2

50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956

philcrosby
#25re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/16/06 at 4:02pm

Along with GYPSY, GUYS AND DOLLS, and maybe KING AND I, MY FAIR LADY is one of the most perfect musicals ever written, a truimph of the craft.

HAPPY GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#26re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/16/06 at 4:52pm

I add West Side Story and Fiddler On the Roof to the above list.

Well, I'm not sure if the Ides of March played a part, but MFL was one of those that I think (certainly wasn't around then...) became a surprise hit. There was doubts about Julie Andrews, a young unknown actress, Rex Harrison "singing," the fact/rumor that R&H tried but could not make a musical out of Pygmalian, etc. I think I saw these opening night "doubts" re-enacted on a Lerner and Loewe special, so I'm not sure if they're 100% accurate.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

#27re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/16/06 at 5:00pm

Thank you for posting this. MY FAIR LADY was one of the very first cast albums I listened to when I was a little kid. I played it constantly and learned every word to every song. Beautiful music and a beautiful tale.

Videos