pixeltracker

50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956

50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#050 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 3:01am

MY FAIR LADY opened at the Mark Hellinger theatre.

The Lerner and Loewe musical was the biggest hit of the decade. Tickets were notoriously hard to get.

It didn’t start out as sure-fire hit. Several authors, including Rodgers and Hammerstein, had tried to adapt Shaw’s PYGMALION for the musical stage without success. Even Lerner and Loewe had made one attempt and given up, but returning to the property in 1955 they partners decided to let Shaw’s text lead the way and they were off and running.

The next problem was to raise the money. Goddard Lieberson, president of Columbia Records convinced CBS to bankroll the entire show with the provision that Columbia make the cast album. Recorded on March 24, 1956 the Lp was released in mono as OL 5090 later that same week. Within a few months OL 5090 was the #1 best-selling Lp in the country. And the show was still selling out every week. Those who couldn't get seats bought the original cast album.

It would be hard today for some people to understand how big this show was. Way bigger than any of today's hits. Pop singers recorded songs from the score. In addition to the cast album, Columbia released an album of the score played by Percy Faith's orchestra. Later when the show opened in London they re-recorded the cast album in stereo. Columbia also did the 1964 film ST and the 1976 Broadway revival cast.

Whichever one you like, play it today to honour one of the greatest musicals of all time, and remember a time when Broadway musicals were our pop culture. Rex Harrison and Stanley Holloway are gone now. The Mark Hellinger Theatre is now the Times Square church and hasn't been used as Broadway theatre since 1989. Julie Andrews is thankfully still with us but no longer able to sing. But not matter - it's all preserved on this wonderful original cast recording.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Updated On: 3/15/06 at 03:01 AM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#1re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 7:45am

Fifty years on and still one of the finest EVER!

The show was so big in Melbourne when it opened in 1959 (in the theatre pictured to the left, Her Majesty's Theatre) that it spawned a second company that opened two years later when it was feared it would be many years before the rest of Australia would get a chance to see MFL. It played in Melbourne for two years, a record not broken until PHANTOM OF THE OPERA in 1991.

I will play the Original Cast Recording now!

Dulcinea Profile Photo
Dulcinea
#2re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 7:47am

Happy Birthday My Fair Lady!!!

www.GreatestStar.blogspot.com

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#3re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 8:17am

Thanks for posting this, frc. I think MY FAIR LADY is one of those gold-standard classics that has been somewhat forgotten.

Its place as the ultimate '50s musical has been superceded in most peoples minds by GYPSY - which today seems more modern, while LADY seems almost as flowery as a Kern Princess Theater show.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 3/15/06 at 08:17 AM

hypertruffle
#4re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 8:19am

*plays the overture and raises her orange juice in honor*

Here's to a lovely show. The music itself brings this softie to tears. re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

bwayaddict Profile Photo
bwayaddict
#6re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:01am

Frontrow - Thanks for the info - I have tickets for Broadway by the Year 1956 on April 3 and hopefully selections from My Fair Lady will be part of the evening. Can't wait till I'm in NYC!

"The more I traveled the more I realized that fear makes strangers of people who should be friends." - Shirley MacLaine

FeelingElectric
#7re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:04am

While I was shopping at the J & R store near City Hall in January, I met a nice older gentleman. I was buying cast recordings (Including the Original London and Broadway cast recordings of My Fair Lady) and we got into a conversation about various things. He mentioned to me that he attended the third performance of My Fair Lady on Broadway fifty years ago(I think he mentioned he was eight at the time), and how he never forgot that experience.It was very facinating to me and I thought I would mention it.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

MargoChanning
#8re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 10:32am

And 2050 years ago, Julius Caesar got shanked in the Senate.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#9re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:15pm

Thanks for reminding us of this historic day. I'm directing a production of "My Fair Lady" this summer and I must say I'm excited and scared at the same time. I want to do justice to this wonderful and historic show. And Margo, thanks for reminding us of the Ides of March.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#10re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:21pm

Happy Birthday My Fair Lady! Truly one of the all-time classics! I sang "On the Street Where You Live" for one of my first auditions. Also, thanks frontrowcentre2 for mentioning Stanley Holloway--a very funny actor, and one of the best parts of the show as Alfie P. Dolittle.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#11re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:27pm

And 2050 years ago, Julius Caesar got shanked in the Senate.

...Was just about to post that!

Happy Bday MY FAIR LADY! :)

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#12re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 1:34pm

YAY!!

My Fair Lady has always been one of my favorite shows. Oh, to have been in that gorgeous theatre 50 years ago!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#13re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 8:55pm

Enjolras77 are you aware the the person in your avatar, Anthony Warlow, played Henry Higgins in an Australian revival about 15 years ago?

BrunetteBombshell
#14re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:03pm

Happy birthday My Fair Lady! It's one of my favorite shows.

ProducersFan
#15re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:15pm

Although I am far too young to have seen the show on Broadway, thanks to my mom I grew up watching the movie musical. I was enthralled by it, and watched it quite often. I like to think it was that movie that made me love musicals so much.

Happy Birthday My Fair Lady! And here's to 50 more years of enchantment!

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

grizzabella
#16re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:20pm

That was a wonderful post Frontrowcenter2. Thanks. So often we forget that many people, myself included, think of My Fair Lady as one of the defining moments in musical theatre, and it was my introduction to the world of musical scores and cast recordings. I'll always have a soft spot for this show.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

wexy
#17re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:49pm

11 days later, I made my debut, albeit off Broadway in Brooklyn.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
Updated On: 3/15/06 at 09:49 PM

jam_man
#18re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:58pm

Quite possibly the single best balance of quality of a show and success of a show, I love My Fair Lady. Happy Anny!

I'm supposed to be the theatre geek at my school, but I forgot to check when My Fair Lady's 50th was going to be (I knew it was coming soon), would it be a problem if I told everyone that tomorrow is it? No, that would be insulting Lerner & Loewe, wouldn't it?

How am I celebrating? Well, with a little bit a luck, someone else will do the blinkin' celebratin'.

EDIT: DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN! I forgot today was the 50th (until now)!

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!
Updated On: 3/15/06 at 09:58 PM

Thesbijean
#19re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 10:01pm

jam_man,

I think South Pacific holds that title in my mind...

jam_man
#20re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 10:08pm

Well, that could be a whole other thread, but today is My Fair Lady's day, so maybe tomorrow.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Thesbijean
#21re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 10:09pm

Haha, ok...

MY FAIR LADY...

the best musical EVER written

re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#22re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/15/06 at 10:33pm

LADY is still my favorite stage musical. long may she live!

RIP glebby <3

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#23re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/16/06 at 3:53pm

Does anyone know if Lerner, Loewe and company thought the show would be cursed for opening on the Eyes of March? (You know, with the whole Caesar deal?)

MargoChanning
#24re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/16/06 at 3:58pm

That would be the IDES of March

Ides = 15th day of March, May, July, or October

Not sure what the Eyes of March would be (though I do know the Eyes of Laura Mars).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 3/16/06 at 03:58 PM

philcrosby
#25re: 50 Years ago tonight: March 15, 1956
Posted: 3/16/06 at 4:02pm

Along with GYPSY, GUYS AND DOLLS, and maybe KING AND I, MY FAIR LADY is one of the most perfect musicals ever written, a truimph of the craft.

HAPPY GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY!

Videos