Rosie back on Stage!!!!

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#25re: Rosie back on Stage!!!
Posted: 7/28/07 at 2:28pm

"Why is it nice to see them referred to as married? They are not married. THe only gay american citizens who are married have to be residents of Massachusetts. They may have a civil union, but by just using the term "marriage" defeats all the work that a lot of people are fighting for. That word is VERY important in this particular battle."

What are you talking about?. Rosie and Kelli went to San Francisco and got married for the short time it was legal before it was unconstitutionally reversed. GOGGLE is your friend. You say "That word is VERY important in this particular battle." Yeah? Well, the more the enemy hears those words in the battle, the less of a battle it becomes.

"As for Rosie on stage... I'll pass. She is really an awful actress/singer and I would not pay good money to watch her doing a bad impersonation of what she thinks Bette Midler would do in this role."

Well, now it seems she can do nothing right, with you. Let's see she's no Streisand but she has managed to star in three, count'em, three Broadway musicals and she has recorded songs with Celine Dion, Cher, Trisha Yearwood, Gloria Estefan, Billy Joel, Elton John, Donnie Osmond, Barry Manilow and Rosemary Clooney, have you, Dear? Oh and with no talent, she has managed to win six Emmys in a row and amass a fortune and give away more money than any of us will ever see. One could only imagine what she could do with YOUR talent.

Flaunt It
#26re: Rosie back on Stage!!!
Posted: 7/28/07 at 4:09pm

I AM WICKED GOOD FRIENDS WITH GOOGLE.. GOOGLE SAYS IT HATES YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT GOOD AT RESEARCH. P.S. STILL NOT MARRIED!! SHE NEEDS TO REFER TO KELLY AS HER VOID. BY HER JUST USING THE WORD WITHOUT IT BEING A LEGAL MARRIAGE JUST CHEAPENS THE WORD THAT IS BEING BATTLED FOR BY SO MANY IN THIS COUNTRY.

California high court voids same-sex marriages
San Francisco mayor vows ultimate victory in appeal
Friday, August 13, 2004 Posted: 12:26 PM EDT (1626 GMT)

(CNN) -- Thousands of marriages sanctioned in San Francisco earlier this year were voided Thursday when the California Supreme Court ruled that city's mayor overstepped his authority by issuing licenses to gay and lesbian couples.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said the city would appeal the 5-2 ruling by the state's high court.

"My heart is heavy," Newsom told reporters. "I respectfully disagree with the Supreme Court's decision, but I respect the court and will respect the order."

He added, "I'm proud of what we did, and I stand by what we've done."

In its ruling Thursday, the court said San Francisco illegally issued the certificates and performed the wedding ceremonies, since state law defined marriage as a union between a man and woman. The justices nullified the nearly 4,000 marriages performed between February 12 and March 11, when the court halted the weddings.

The court did not resolve whether the California Constitution would permit a same-sex marriage, ruling instead on the limits of authority regarding local government officials.

The high court's ruling ordered city and county officials to "take all necessary remedial steps to undo the continuing effects of the officials' past unauthorized actions, including making appropriate corrections to all relevant official records and notifying all affected same-sex couples that the same-sex marriages authorized by the officials are void and of no legal effect."

The court said Newsom had overstepped his authority as city and county mayor by failing to enforce the provisions of the state's marriage statutes. Statutes can be circumvented only with a court order, the justices ruled.

At his news conference, Newsom said he believes what he did was right and that it is not the government's place to deny gays from marrying.

"Separate does not mean equal," he said.

Newsom had told city and county officials to begin licensing gay and lesbian marriages February 12. The Associated Press reported that 3,995 were performed by March 11, when the state high court ordered a halt.

However, the court at that time stopped short of invalidating the same-sex marriages that took place.

Among the marriages affected is that of performer and talk show host Rosie O'Donnell. O'Donnell married her longtime girlfriend in late February, taking what she called a proud stand for gay civil rights in the city. She and Kelli Carpenter had a brief ceremony inside Newsom's office.

Another case included under the court's ruling is a lawsuit brought by resident Barbara Lewis and other taxpayers against County Clerk Nancy Alfaro.

In February, Alfaro, on orders from Newsom, changed the marriage license form designations for "bride" and "groom" to "applicant one" and "applicant two."

According to The Associated Press, anti-same-sex marriage groups hailed Thursday's ruling, saying Mayor Newsom acted prematurely.

"Instead of helping his cause, Mayor Newsom has set back the same-sex marriage agenda and laid the foundation for the pro-marriage movement to once and for all win this battle to preserve traditional marriage," said Mathew Staver, who represents Campaign for California Families in a lawsuit challenging the San Francisco marriages.

According to AP reports, Missouri voters this month endorsed a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage -- a move designed to prevent that state's judiciary from agreeing with the arguments Newsom is making in California.

A state constitutional challenge by gays in Massachusetts prompted that state's highest court to endorse the gay marriages that began there in May.

A judge in Washington state this month also ruled in favor of gay marriage, pending a resolution from that state's top court, The AP reported.

Updated On: 7/28/07 at 04:09 PM

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#27re: Rosie back on Stage!!!
Posted: 7/28/07 at 10:14pm

Which all seems a long way from the discussion of NO, NO, NANETTE.

RyToast1
#28re: Rosie back on Stage!!!
Posted: 7/30/07 at 4:47pm

yeah, back to Rosie on stage....

I think it's such a bad idea. As you may (or may not) know, I work at the City Center, and most of the patrons I speak to are NOT at all happy about this casting decision.

I feel like it takes away some of the integrity of the Encores! series....from Patti LuPone to Rosie O'Donnell....

i am sad

Videos