pixeltracker

RENT is set in which year(s)?- Page 2

RENT is set in which year(s)?

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#25re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 1:06pm

right, but the only mention of e-mail is by Alexi, and the whole point is that she represents the rich corporate aspect of america, so she WOULD have e-mail at the time...

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#26re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 1:25pm

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#27re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 1:30pm

Okay. First of all... why does it matter?

Secondly... I know I just asked why it mattered but I need to say something.

a "Thelma & Louise" reference doesn't give a timestamp to anything! Does it have to be 1991 if they mention a movie that came out in 1991?? No.

ALSO - thanks to Wikipedia, I have to assume the musical takes place after 1991 (with all of the internet and email references).

Wiki: Although the basic applications and guidelines that make the Internet possible had existed for almost a decade, the network did not gain a public face until the 1990s.

On August 6, 1991, CERN, which straddles the border between France and Switzerland, publicized the new World Wide Web project.

Select a Member Name Profile Photo
Select a Member Name
#28re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 7/7/08 at 12:49am

I always thought it was 1989-1990 for some reason, but after reading some of the other posts, I suppose I'm wrong

"You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals over and over again, all spectacles. You get your tickets for The Lion King a year in advance, and essentially a family... pass on to their children the idea that that's what the theater is – a spectacular musical you see once a year, a stage version of a movie. It has nothing to do with theater at all. It has to do with seeing what is familiar.... I don't think the theatre will die per se, but it's never going to be what it was.... It's a tourist attraction." Stephen Sondheim

Videos