RENT is set in which year(s)?

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#1RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 5:05pm

I totally apologize for beating a dead horse but does anyone have an idea of the years Rent takes place.

It definitely must be pre-Guiliani which would be before 1994 and continuity-wise it must be after Thelma & Louise, which was released in 1991.

Of course the movie is 1989 but I feel like that's too early.

IsolatingAge
#2re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 5:10pm

Columbus didn't seem to be thinking very clearly when he set a specific year for the action to occur. It is never mentioned in the script, but the references set it anytime in the 90's. Arguably, it could be "timeless", but thinking literally about the pop culture references, it doesn't make a ton of sense to place the setting in this decade.

You must think I'm still sixteen. I dropped out of high school for a reason. And I don't care if you're pretty. I'm not admitting you are right. My soul is not a stage. I won't pretend I'm anything I'm not

exedore
#2re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 5:23pm

I believe the accepted timeframe is somewhere between 92 and 95, or when Larson was heavily working on it. IMHO 93-94 makes the most sense.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 5:25pm

Don't they scream "at the end of the millenium..." a dozen times in the show?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:17pm

I agree based on the Thelma & Louise reference that the show takes place in the early 90s. Perhaps earlier incarnations of the show did have Larson thinking more 80s, especially with the AZT references, but as he continued to work on it -- it seems to me that it became more set in the 90s and it was pretty lame of Columbus to set it in the 80s prior to the release of Thelma & Louise and then still include the lyric.

Miss Elphaba Profile Photo
Miss Elphaba
#5re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:20pm

Don't they scream "at the end of the millenium..." a dozen times in the show?

In Larsons defence, it's a thousand years, the 1990's is pretty near the end..

"I trained as a classical actor at Juilliard. I jump at the opportunity to do classical text...But I never in a million years guessed I'd get to play Juliet!"- Michael Arden

#6re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:39pm

I've always wondered about this, as well as what planet it is set on as these characters seem completely alien.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#7re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:49pm

I've always wondered how aliens can break into song about AIDS and drugs.

Craww
#8re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 6:53pm

I think it works either way. You either assume late 80s and the pop culture references are a faux pas, or you assume early mid 90s and the social circumstances become slightly dated. Some of the details are a tad contradictory., so...whatever.

Jon
#9re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 7:28pm

"Yellow rental truck packed in with fertilizer and fuel oil" is clearly a reference to the Oklahoma City bombing, which happened in 1995.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#10re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 7:31pm

good point, Jon.

firstly... why does it matter?

secondly... it seems it is set around the time when RENT opened in '96. so there you go

george95
#11re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 8:50pm

If you remember, when the show came out, common usage of email and cellphones was still a novelty. So when Alexi Darling gives her email address, its supposed to be this cutting edge thing, right along with Joanne not only talking on a cellphone, but having calling-waiting on her cellphone! What an age we lived in!

But seriously, would even a reporter've had email in 1989? I doubt it. And a cellphone in 1989 would have been Zack Morris style---as big as a brick. So that's why the show is definitely set in the early to mid-90's....right when cellphones and email really started to trickle down to the masses.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#12re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 8:59pm

I practically forgot about the references to the internet so '95/'96 seems to be the most logical.

Gothampc
#13re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 9:11pm

The time really can't be pinpointed because the cultural references are all over the place.

The gentrification of the Lower East Side had already begun by the early 90s. I believe the riot in the show happened in 1988. It's wrong to place it in the mid-90s because most of the artists and squatters had been driven from the area and younger, richer people were moving in. In order to believe the area was run down it really can't take place past about 1992.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

LittlexFallxOfxRain
#14re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 9:12pm

Honestly, I don't understand the people who say it's timeless. Yes, the message is timeless, but the issues are a bit dated. I'd agree with mid 90s. '94 - '96.

NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#15re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 9:29pm

1994-1996.

martinman
#16re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:17pm

The first line of the movie and musical both say "December 25th 9:00p

martinman
#17re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:19pm

The first line of the movie and musical say "December 25th 9:00 p.m. 1989". I just watched the movie this afternoon.

heathurrr
#18re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:44pm

I disagree with those who say Rent is dated.
The issues brought up in Rent (ie: AIDS in America in the 80s-90s) chronicle an important part of history. It's a picture into the life lived by the most marginalized of society - those sick with AIDS, those who are gay, poor and drug addicted.
I don't think these issues are at all dated, they're just playing out in other parts of the world in recent years.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

SporkGoddess
#19re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:46pm

I think 1996, personally.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

george95
#20re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:52pm

The musical says "December 24th, 9pm, Eastern Standard Time", and at the end of the show its December 24th 10pm.......no mention of the year. The movie went out of its way to be 1989.

As for the LES being gentrified by 1992...sure it started by then, but it was by no means DONE by then.

Gothampc
#21re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:17am

I still maintain that the time of the show can't be properly placed because of the variety of culture references.

Rent opened at NY Theatre Workshop in January 1996. It had gone through two years of workshops so that pushes it back to approximately January 1994. Larsen had been writing the show and shopping it around before NYTW picked it up, so let's say that happened in 1993. There is nothing in the show that makes the audience think that it is a futuristic show. So I think we have to pinpoint it between 1988 (the time of the actual riot) and 1993 (the time Larsen was shopping it around).

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#22re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:20am

Obviously it takes place in the late seventies since all the songs sound like Jim Steinman via Styx.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#23re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:27pm

its not set in a specific year and doesn't need to be. Just know it's the east village in the early 90s.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

DrewBill
#24re: RENT is set in which year(s)?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:51pm

There's no clear-cut date, but based on the "Thelma & Louise" reference, and the characters' AZT regiment, I would peg the date around 1991. (The 4-hour AZT regiment began around 1987, but was largely replaced by other drug therapies by around 1994-95.)

But on the other hand, the internet and email were not widely available outside of the academic community until the mid-90s.

Videos