pixeltracker

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 27

THE COLOR PURPLE Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

BwayLB
Posted: 5/13/24 at 9:57am

I finally watched the movie on Max last night. It was a little bit below what I expected. While the cast is sensational and the story is timely as ever, the musical sequences were often too short gone by too quick for my liking. Fantasia proves she still got it especially with I’m Here. It just wasn’t enough to overcome its shortcomings.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
Posted: 6/11/24 at 5:16pm

I saw the movie in theaters, and I really enjoyed it quite a lot. Is it as fantastic and stunning as West Side Story 2021? Not really, there are some problems that keep it from being as great as that one. But I feel the good things about it does outweigh the negatives (like cutting the score in half, "I'm Here" starting as it does, and pacing issues here and there) like the fact that the musical numbers are all well staged, shot, and choreographed, imaginative direction, some improvements in comparison to a good, if flawed stage musical, and the actors perfectly slaying their respective roles.

Sure, the movie has its issues; but I'd rather have movie musicals like this than the likes of Cats and Dear Evan Hansen so there's that. A very solid 7.5 out of 10 for me.

Videos