pixeltracker

Rigby to Return to PETER PAN; Broadway in Summer 2012?- Page 3

Rigby to Return to PETER PAN; Broadway in Summer 2012?

husk_charmer
#50Rigby to Return to PETER PAN; Broadway in Summer 2012?
Posted: 11/25/10 at 6:15pm

Capn' Hook-
Wizard of Oz has 4 years on Peter Pan, and is also internatonally known and beloved. The film itself has been theorized to have been seen by more people the world over than any other.

Also, Oz is ALWAYS being staged somewhere. Tams-Witmark at one point said between 50 and 75 productions were done annually

There are dolls, toys, plates, poster, housewares and more all built on Wizard of Oz.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#51Rigby to Return to PETER PAN; Broadway in Summer 2012?
Posted: 11/25/10 at 6:42pm

The OZ stories have been around since 1902...on paper (whereas the PETER PAN story originated in 1904 on the stage). I do not know when OZ first had a stage adaptation, assuming there was one before the movie was turned into a stage musical.

You bring up the film and merchandise, which is not related to what I argue. I argue that the PETER PAN *theatrical* franchise is the most successful of any other franchise.

Yes, Tams-Witmark licenses dozens, if not hundreds, of production of THE WIZARD OF OZ (the stage adaptation of the film). As does Samuel French for PETER PAN (the Comden/Green/Charlap/Leigh/Styne version). However, I am unaware of any other related stage version of the OZ stories other than WICKED and THE WIZ. (If there is, please inform me. My experise is with PAN and not OZ.)

PETER PAN has been ongoing on stage since 1904 and has multiple adaptations. There's the original play, the John Caird/Trevor Nunn adaptation, the ballet, the revised pantomime, the current pantomime, the Bernstein version, the Piers Chater-Robinson version, the Stiles & Drewe version, the Comden/Green/Charlap/Leigh/Styne version), the Disney Cruise Ship version, the Disney on Ice version, the Lookingglass version, the Peter & the Starcatchers musical that is in development, the Finding Neverland musical that is in development, The Lost Boys which is currently playing off-Broadway, the Barrie play that Ron Palilo wrote and did in upstate NY a few years ago, and the new "in the round" arena production that is currently touring the States.

And those are the productions I could name off the top of my head. Again, I do not have the research of OZ on stage, but I would bet that if you add the cumulative grosses from THE WIZARD OF OZ, THE WIZ, and WICKED that it could not altogether surpass the cumulative grosses of those productions which I named above (adjust for inflation).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

husk_charmer
#52Rigby to Return to PETER PAN; Broadway in Summer 2012?
Posted: 11/25/10 at 7:02pm

^Wizard of Oz was written in 1900, the first stage adaptation, which ran and toured for YEARS was 1902.

There are hundreds of adaptations as well. Ballet, musical, straight play and otherwise. There was a major world arena tour in 1989, at least two seperate On Ice productions, not to mention mini-productions in the Ice Capades of the 50s and 60s, three major mountings in London, a new-ish French adaptation of the story, puppet versions, a Muppet adaptation, as well as several revisionist takes based on Was (two adpations of that) and one even set inside a Mall.

And, to be 100% honest. If one of them has grossed more than the other, it's probably only marginally.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#53Rigby to Return to PETER PAN; Broadway in Summer 2012?
Posted: 11/25/10 at 7:10pm

Interesting. Perhaps PAN does have some competition.

Any other franchises that could compete? Or is PAN and OZ it?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Videos