pixeltracker

if you could own two broadway theaters?- Page 3

if you could own two broadway theaters?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#50if you could own two broadway theaters?
Posted: 6/27/11 at 2:34pm

Oh, and also The Music Box, for its intimacy and elegance.

ajh
#51if you could own two broadway theaters?
Posted: 6/27/11 at 2:52pm

This is such a fun thread.

I would choose the St James as it is beautiful, in a great location, has such exciting and varied history (from the original OKLAHOMA! and THE KING&I through the original HELLO DOLLY! and BARNUM to up-to-date like THE PRODUCERS, TOMMY and AMERICAN IDIOT) and, to me, seems unusual in that combines being huge in size with a sense of intimacy and warmth. Visiting it is like experiencing the essence of Broadway. I would ideally like to present the upcoming EVITA revival at the St James, or failing that a revised remounting of WOMEN ON THE VERGE (subject most definitely to Laura Benanti's availability) as I think it would "breathe" better and be less confusing in a larger house.

My second choice would be the Cort as I also think it is a lovely house in terms of decor and atmosphere but it is very much a playhouse so would be a good contrast to my other recent acquisition(!) Although perceived as being on the "wrong" side of Broadway, this gorgeous theater seems to do well with major stars in limited seasons of quality drama/comedy (Nicole Kidman in THE BLUE ROOM, Will Ferrell in YOU'RE WELCOME AMERICA, Denzel Washington in FENCES, Scarlett Johansson in A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE, Laura Linney in TIME STANDS STILL) and I would continue this policy. My first task with the Cort would be to transfer and extend THE NORMAL HEART, at my own expense if necessary if you could own two broadway theaters?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#52if you could own two broadway theaters?
Posted: 6/27/11 at 5:55pm

The Foxwoods is a very classy barn. The Gershwin is a barn plain & simple. I saw Cyd Charisse in Grand Hotel (saw it originally at the Beck).

It was so far away I had no idea it was her. That is sad.A theater like that is good for something like Starlight Express or Spiderman.

Poster Emeritus

Videos