Madea at BAM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#50Medea at BAM
Posted: 2/12/20 at 11:14am

I really enjoyed this one as well. Thought Byrne and Cannavale were great. I just found the video projections half-baked and distracting.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

SouthernCakes
#51Medea at BAM
Posted: 2/19/20 at 9:41pm

Saw this tonight and the box office upgraded me to center orchestra so I wasn’t mad about that!

I really enjoyed it and thought it was beautifully done and the ending was quite haunting.

Two things I found interesting: the show has the same run time as “Six” as no one seems to be complaining! Also the the use of the offstage set and the use of projections is very similar to “West Side Story.”

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#52Medea at BAM
Posted: 2/19/20 at 9:56pm

SouthernCakes said: "Two things I found interesting: the show has the same run time as “Six” as no one seems to be complaining!"

Probably because play-going audiences are more used to seeing 60-80 minute shows.

Also the the use of the offstage set and the use of projections is very similar to “West Side Story.”"

Worth noting that this production of Medea premiered at Internationaal Theater Amsterdam (formerly Toneelgroep Amsterdam), where Ivo Van Hove is the artistic director. So yes, the theatrical toolbox and sensibilities inevitably have noticeable overlap. The same is true for Sam Gold's production of Glass Menagerie from a few years ago. 

Updated On: 2/19/20 at 09:56 PM

SouthernCakes
#53Medea at BAM
Posted: 2/19/20 at 10:09pm

Oh didn’t know that! Interesting! Thank you!
All in all I’d recommend it!

AntV
#54Medea at BAM
Posted: 3/8/20 at 9:22am

This was fantastic. It closes today and its a shame it's not running on Broadway. It should be, was my favorite play since Betrayal and A View from the Bridge. I think I like a certain type.

Videos