BroadwayNYC2
#50How to Fix the Broadway Model
Posted: 1/18/24 at 6:05pm

No, that’s not we’re saying Mr. buzzword soup up there

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#51How to Fix the Broadway Model
Posted: 1/18/24 at 10:33pm

sinister teashop said: "I think it does make sense when you look at many of these shows as brands or properties that are using Broadway as a kind of retail flagship store window that also has a infrastructure of public relations attached to it including awards, news stories, etc. The properties that lose money on Broadway might also have benefits for the revival of a catalogue or an extended life touring, cruise ship entertainment, music licensing, book deals, etc. But usually only corporations in partnership with producers have the money to incorporate this kind of loss/risk for the long term goals of their properties. That was the Disney model under Thomas Schumacher but I'm not sure if it still is today. Certainly, "MJ" isn't hurting Michael Jackson's musical catalogue."

MJ recouped so that's a straight up hit as opposed to a loss leader. But I get your point. 

I think there are both examples of Broadway shows backed by big corporations that are valuable loss leaders (Frozen, maybe?) and those that genuinely were money pits, like Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.  

However, in terms of the Broadway model not necessarily making sense, I'm more worried about shows like Slave Play. It was possibly the most talked about new play of the last 5 years, its producers viewed it as a huge success in terms of bringing a more diverse audience to Broadway, and it still didn't recoup the $3.9 million investment.   

Videos