News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for Jonathan Cohen

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Member Name: Jonathan Cohen
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Ragtime at City Center
 Jul 24 2024, 12:11:53 PM

EDSOSLO858 said: "

• Joy Woods as Sarah
  • Colin Donnell as Father
  • Shaina Taub as Emma Goldman
  • Ben Levi Ross as Younger Brother"

Did I miss something obvious? Taub being cast seems like a backdoor announcement of Suffs closing. Unless she's just taking a couple of weeks off.  

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/7/24
 Jul 11 2024, 09:12:42 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Remember that variable pricing is what also allows shows to REDUCE prices. Such as selling dozens of rush/lotto tickets if inventory allows, or HOME offering $5 tix."

I understand your larger point about how dynamic pricing can help subsidize cheaper tickets to the same show. That said, HOME is not an example of a financially healthy show. 

Their average ticket price is $25.71. They aren't selling enough $248 t

Is Broadway quieter during the Jewish holidays?
 Jul 11 2024, 08:11:49 AM

veronicamae said: "You can check the weekly grosses year over year here on BWW."

Those are weekly grosses and the Jewish holidays we're really talking about, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, are 1 or 2 days long. Unless you were looking at single day data, it would be impossible to figure it out. 

My guess though is if you were seeking a ticket to a Jewish themed show, it's reasonable to assume less people would show up during a big ho

Broadway Rumors/Whispers
 Jul 5 2024, 11:14:35 AM

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Saddest news I’ve heard this week is that the Light Night Music revival with Julie andrews and cate Blanchett that Rudin was working on was now officially killed.

as well yes. Maggie Smith has officially retired from any stage work.

all very sad that the greats are done
"

Julie Andrews has almost no vocal range because of a botched operation on her vocal cords decades ago. Unfortunately, any rumor involving

Julianna Margulies and Peter Gallagher To Star In LEFT ON TENTH
 Jun 27 2024, 03:16:43 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Grosses, prove me wrong, but I really don't see this attracting any kind of sizable audience on Broadway.

Especially with that sleepy video announcement.
"

Maybe they should have tried a take where traffic wasn't constantly interrupting the sound.

TAMMY FAYE will transfer to Broadway in 2024-2025 Season
 Jun 26 2024, 10:00:17 PM

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I am now curious if Borle got the money Rannels was asking for but the producers wouldn’t give him. Borle is a bigger star with two Tony Awards, so I’m guessing…yes. I even have to wonder if Borle had expressed interest in the role during Rannels’ negotiations, which is why they were willing to let him walk away…"

I'm a big fan of Borle and he's a name among Broadway fans. But Rannells

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL Previews
 Jun 23 2024, 01:18:14 PM

stagepotato said: "I’m at the matinee now. The website states children under 4 are not allowed yet someone has a 2 or 3 year old with them. I think it’s someone in the cast’s family member which doesn’t give it a pass. The kid is clearly not ready for theatre since mom has left several times during act 1 to calm the child down"

I actively have a three-year-old and would never do this. For example, I saw the show last night and my wife is going

Nick Jonas and Adrienne Warren to star in THE LAST FIVE YEARS Broadway Revival
 Jun 18 2024, 12:21:26 PM

TotallyEffed said: "singer234 said: "Are Josh Henry and Nick Edwards Jewish? I don't recall people freaking out their Jamies, but it's doomsday for Nick Jonas on Twitter?"

Josh Henry did a (one night?) concert. During The Schmuel Song the audience startedlaughing at his horrendous Yiddish accent and even he broke character and started laughing. We all understood this was a one time thing to hear those two amazing performers sing and act that show

THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL to close on June 23
 Jun 18 2024, 11:12:31 AM

Unfortunately not surprising, but not giving two weeks notice does seem a little unusual.  

Jun 17 2024, 12:45:42 AM

My non realistic suggestion is Andrew Garfield. He's played Jim Bakker before, likes acting on Broadway, and proved in Tick, Tick... Boom! he'd do a musical, at least on film.

Jun 17 2024, 12:29:47 AM

TheatreMonkey said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "starlightlocamotion said: "Wonder if they would pull the plug all together now?"

They have to find a name as commercial on Broadway asRannells, who is willing to work for less thanRannells. With performances starting in October.

Pulling the plug certainly should be on the table.
"

That only holds water if Rannells was the most famous name involved -- I think Elton John wou

Jun 16 2024, 11:41:39 PM

starlightlocamotion said: "Wonder if they would pull the plug all together now?"

They have to find a name as commercial on Broadway as Rannells, who is willing to work for less than Rannells. With performances starting in October. 

Pulling the plug certainly should be on the table.

Performances at the 2024 Tony Awards
 Jun 11 2024, 06:05:15 PM

ColorTheHours048 said: "So you’re saying there’s still a chanceStereophoniccould perform?

What I’m saying is you never know what’s gonna happen on the Tony Awards.”

This is such a stupid non-answer. Just say you made a mistake not allowing one of the biggest commercial hits of the year to perform and that you’ve made a change. Why the mystery?
"

Yeah.

Jun 6 2024, 12:59:35 PM

ClumsyDude15 said: "I saw a commerical last week that heavily featured Back to the Future, so I'm a little surprised they aren't performing. I presume maybe they'll be one of the added performances."

The songs aren't really the selling point of the show. It was the one show from the season I was most confused why they made it a musical. 

Jun 6 2024, 12:41:58 PM

David Adjmi just confirmed on Twitter Stereophonic is not performing: "We wanted to perform but they weren’t into it. We tried!"

That was the show performance I was most looking forward to.  

HOME Reviews
 Jun 6 2024, 12:40:06 AM

One thing striking reading through the reviews is even when critics like the show, there's often frustration with Kenny Leon's directing. 

Jesse Green in the NYT felt the production was "welcome, if perhaps overly faithful to the original vision." Jackson McHenry in Vulture felt "Leon’s approach is serviceable and too respectful.

I get the impression that's intentional in Leon's work in Home and Purlie Victorious. He wants people to experience a somewhat lost great work as it was originally experienced, as opposed to finding new things to say through the play. 

Personally I've been finding the faithfulness a little boring, even while findings things I liked about both shows. 

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
 Jun 5 2024, 10:32:56 AM

TheatreFan4 said: "Jonathan Cohen said: "Also, regardingPlatt not being a pop star, he for sure has not had a Top 40 hit. However, he has sold a concert special to Netflix, a benchmark most Top 40 acts never achieve. I didn't make it throughhis Netflix special, it's not my taste, but to try to portray his solo career as a complete failure isn't accurate."

Let's settle down here, they did it because they had him in a show coming up on thei

Phantom Revival - What Happened?
 Jun 4 2024, 12:47:42 PM

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "It can't be considered TONY eligable without being closed for three years so if it does come back its still going to be a minute."

This is interesting information, but what would make a revival Tony awards bait is the opposite of what Phantom fans watch to see. They want an experience as close to the original product as possible. 

A rethinking along of the lines of Cats: “The Jellicle Ball” (or what I'm a

Jun 4 2024, 12:48:41 AM

Fordham2015 said: "BrodyFosse123 said: "I'm not in the tank for the guy, but other thanDear Evan Hansen the movie which is awful, his film career is doing pretty well.

Wait, what? What film career? Aside from the MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG film which is filming for the next decade or so he only has one film short slated for release. He had theDEAR EVAN HANSEN film in 2021. A supporting role in some obscure AmazonPrime film titled THE PEOPLE WE HATE AT THE WEDDING in 2022, and then THEATER CAMP in 2023. That, my friend, is not considered a film career. That’s called appearing in films. When you have 3 films coming out in the same year, and 2-3 lined up for the following year, THEN you can safely assume you have a film career.
"

That reminds me of what Nathan Lane said when Harvey Weinstein threatened him: "You can't hurt me, I don't have a film career"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3CTtHQGFdQ
"

That self-deprecating line from Nathan Lane is hilarious, but not meant to accurate. Still, he's a great example of why BrodyFosse123's comment makes no sense to me. 

Lane has been in at least 35 movies. In that context he's a character actor who's so damn good, on a rare occasion like The Birdcage, he can be a lead in a successful mainstream movie. Last year, he had key supporting roles in Dicks: The Musical and Beau Is Afraid. Of course he has a movie career. 

He's also been nominated for Prime Time Emmys for 5 different shows and I don't need to remind anyone here of his Broadway resume. 

To say you have 3 films coming out in the same year to be considered a film actor is bizarrely narrow, Leonardo DiCaprio and George Clooney don't make the cut, sorry. But even limiting that discussion to character actors, the economics of the entertainment industry being what they are, there's no reason to assume working actors are even attempting to book 3 different movies in the same year. 

Lane is alternating between film, TV, and Broadway projects, as is Platt. If you want to label them Broadway stars who sometimes do film and TV fine, but they've also landed more film and TV roles than the vast majority of actors period. 

Also, regarding Platt not being a pop star, he for sure has not had a Top 40 hit. However, he has sold a concert special to Netflix, a benchmark most Top 40 acts never achieve. I didn't make it through his Netflix special, it's not my taste, but to try to portray his solo career as a complete failure isn't accurate. 

Jun 3 2024, 11:52:45 PM

Jarethan said: "Playing a 'type' that he has aged out of. Perhaps I should have said that I don't see him getting leading roles in the movies, whereas I do on Broadway."

I understand what you're getting at. For example, Christopher Mintz-Plasse (McLovin) from Superbad and Kick-Ass aged out of being a horny teenage nerd, and now mainly seems to have a movie career via voice over work in animated movies. 

For sure, Platt is a bankable star p

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You