pixeltracker

LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA....WTF???!- Page 3

LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA....WTF???!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#50LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA
Posted: 11/29/04 at 5:13pm

Jess,

But here's the deal. The original poster (either in all truthfulness or in jest) was unaware of Ms. Green's credits other than SABRINA. Let's face it, BARE was hardly THE PRODUCERS when it comes to national attention or staying power. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that her musical theatre background may have been unknown to him/her. So to them, it's stunt casting.

As for changing dances/songs, it's honestly not for you (or me) to decide. It's for the production team. And the examply I'm going to use is that mistress of the stage, Melanie Griffith. Ann Reinking chose to change the dances for her, and asserted that Ms. Griffith is exactly the kind of performer Bob Fosse would have loved. Indeed, there were critics and audiences who thought she brought something quite wonderful to the role of Roxie Hart (thought many here will also tell you that she was terrible).

Sometimes 'stunt' casting works...sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works for some, but not for all. It's all a matter of opinion.

I just wanted to remind everyone here that one should be careful how one presents one's opinion, lest they be called a hypocrite.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Jess1483
#51LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA
Posted: 11/29/04 at 5:21pm

I wasn't implying that it was up to me...Anyway, changing songs and dances because someone can't do them the way they're written is very different from choosing to change them for artistic reasons. (I honestly don't know about the Griffith issue, so I can't comment.) And, unlike, Rent, I doubt Wicked is going to be billing its show as "with Jenna Leigh Green from Sabrina, The Teenage Witch." And if they do, that will be a different issue.
And I don't think I'm being hypocritical, since I don't believe I've ever said "I hate stunt casting." But again, I didn't think your original post was directed at me.
And changing one's mind is not being a hypocrite. I've reconsidered some of my reservations surrounding stunt casting because I think Drew's doing a decent job in Rent and I've heard Brooke is pretty good in WT.

Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our fingers through the flame? Why do we leave our hands on the stove, although we know we're in for some pain? -tick...tick...BOOM!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#52LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA
Posted: 11/29/04 at 5:26pm

To clarify, no, I was not speaking directly to you.

And changing one's mind is not only not being a hypocrite, it's a wonderful trait that is grossly underrated.

The reason I use the word 'hypocrite' is some of the people posting here in defense of Ms. Green are the very same who freak out over other 'stars' coming to Broadway. And I know for a fact that some of them have never even seen the performances they are decrying.

That's all.

Jess1483
#53LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA
Posted: 11/29/04 at 5:58pm

That's fair then, and nice use of the word "decry," I thoroughly enjoy that word.

Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our fingers through the flame? Why do we leave our hands on the stove, although we know we're in for some pain? -tick...tick...BOOM!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#54LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA
Posted: 11/29/04 at 6:00pm

It, too, is one of my favorite words.

capnkidd
#55LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA
Posted: 11/29/04 at 6:21pm

I agree that 'decry' is a great word,and applaud you for using it-also agree this example isn't stunt casting,a practise I deplore,especially when the actor in question doesn't really have the chops for the role.
Having said that,I would rather see stunt casting rather than another dark theatre....and if tourists want to pay to see tv or movie stars on broadway,I say by god let them...

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#56LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA
Posted: 11/29/04 at 9:10pm

She's understudying Elphaba, too? Yay! LIBBY FROM SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH AS NESSA

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Videos