News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New Fantine!

p.s.
#50re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:13pm

Re Ken's No comment....

I also have no comment, but I don't know if that means I'm in agreement with Ken.

p.s. Hail Celia!

pps: Seriously, how about Celia?

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#51re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:21pm

If the show is scheduled to leave in April why would they re-cast in Jan/Feb. and which "name" would fill in for 2/3 mos? If the understudy is good, my bet is they'll keep her.

Just watch the numbers after the holidays are over...that will dictate all the moves. And please, go and enjoy the show.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#52re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:38pm

If the understudy is good, my bet is they'll keep her.

But there are two, and does the audition say they're looking for a temporary Fantine, or a temporary ensemble/Fantine understudy to fill her place? Or maybe that'll be determined from the talent pool?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#53re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 1:51pm

good point Lizzy. Why are they auditioning at all with 2 understudies ready to go? Perhaps the poor Daphne press and her contacted "opt out" has had an impact. Or maybe not...

Anyway it will be interesting to see what happens in Feb.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

iluvtheatertrash
#54re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 4:30pm

Lisa Brescia, please!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#55re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 4:49pm

I have read the agent breakdownand Prefer not to post it here but it basically says that it is for her scheduled absence for her Off-Broadway Play. The first performance is February 20th and it is said to go until April or May. Since it is for an extended time I think that it will be easier on the company to just replace her rather than bump someone up. Ensemble tracks are harder to learn and, more importantly, involve more full company rehearsals than a principle.
Regardless it seems like it would be a tough gig. A real "Damned if you do-Damned if you don't" situation. People either loved her or hated her. So You are either going to dissapoint or remind everyone how awful she actually is (i haven't seen the show so I won't render my opinion, but from what I've read, my imagination was probably spot-on).
Nevertheless , If I was a Girl I'd jump over my dead Grandmother to do it.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#56re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 4:56pm

Ruthie all the way! Esp if it's a limited run in the role!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#57re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 5:12pm

If Daphne is leaving late January/early February and the temp replacement isn't coming in until February 20th, they are probably putting the understudies on for a week or two in between.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

being.jeremiah
#58re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 5:24pm

How about LEA SALONGA? From Eponine to Fantine.

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#59re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 5:25pm

I think that Neverandy was saying that "Jack Goes Boating" (the show Daphne is leaving to do) is starting on Feb 20th, not that a replacement actor would start then.

Again, last I heard from Daphne, she herself wasn't sure of the dates. Without checking the e-mail I believe she said that rehearsals are set to start sometime in late Jan/early Feb. So a tentative opening date of Feb 20th would make sense.

It sounds like, though, that by the time "Jack" closes, Les Mis may have closed as well. Depending of course on whether either show extends.

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

broadwayguy2
#60re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 5:28pm

Can'gt the just can the overplasticated woman now and hire someone GOOD? Or bump up Nikki Daniels and find a good understudy? As has been said, Brescia, Mandy Gonzalez.... Shoshana Bean... anyone who understands the word PITCH....

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#61re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 5:33pm

Yeah, it's not like there's a lack of former Fantines/Fantine understudies out there.

The call isn't on actorsequity.org; I'm sad I can't read it for myself!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#62re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 5:51pm

It is stricly an agent thing, They aren't opening it up to the general equity membership.
Lea is a great idea but I have a feeling that she is more of a name than what they want. If they were going with that kind of name I doubt they would even open it up to the agents to submit. They would just call the agents of the poeple they are interested in. They don't specify in the brakdown anything like "Submit A-list Broadway talent only" it is just a description of the character like they put in Backstage. They do say however that they are seeking any ethnicity though

somethingwicked
#63re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 6:05pm

I agree with Lizzie. They could just as easily bump Nikki Daniels up and bring back one of the plethora of women out there who know the Fantine u/s track. Whether they do that remains to be seen, but I hope Daniels gets some chance to perform this role.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#64re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 6:08pm

The breakdown says that the first performance for The fantine replacement is February 20th. I have no idea about Jack goes boating.

Fontybell
#65re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 6:40pm

They could bump Haviland Stillwell up and easily fill her track. Bc Fantine's "track" also has all the extra blocking with her as a boy on the barricades, it seems like it would be just as hard to find someone to do Fantine as it would be to do the Factory Girl track.

Trekkie2
#66re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 8:13pm

A little off-topic, but it would be fun to see Celia and Daphne switch roles for one night, even if it was just for a benefit.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

Zachary Goldfarb
#67re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 8:14pm

Brecia is going into WICKED as Murney's standby. Won't be either of them.

Yero
#68re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 8:22pm

"Brecia is going into WICKED as Murney's standby. Won't be either of them."
...um?

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#69re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 11:16pm

Would the two runs conflict?

When is Murney going into Wicked?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 11/22/06 at 11:16 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#70re: New Fantine!
Posted: 11/22/06 at 11:33pm

Zachary... sources?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#71re: New Fantine!
Posted: 1/2/07 at 7:55pm

Does anyone have any update on the Fantine replacement? Isn't it supposed to be announced this week?

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

Zeitoujo
#72re: New Fantine!
Posted: 1/2/07 at 7:58pm

god julia NEVER, i dont like her.
i hope for sho or eden!!! that would be heaven!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

somethingwicked
#73re: New Fantine!
Posted: 1/2/07 at 8:01pm

The announcement should be made sometime this week.

I am hearing it's Alice Ripley, but she may just be several people's logical assumption because she isn't working at the moment and has played the role before.

Only time will tell..

neddyfrank2
#74re: New Fantine!
Posted: 1/2/07 at 8:02pm

It was already announced on playbill.com about Julia and Lisa

Videos