Any CHESS Fans?

pianojohn Profile Photo
pianojohn
#50re: Any CHESS Fans?
Posted: 10/22/07 at 12:25pm

I prefer the complete recording to the single disc Broadway one. Also, there is a live recording which I have from 1994:

Chess In Concert (1994 Swedish Concert Cast) by Lena Ericsson, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, Karin Glenmark, and Tommy Korberg (Audio CD - 1996)

Available at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-4046430-2977726?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=chess&x=15&y=12

And I was lucky enough to see the 1992 production at Paper Mill Playhouse. Beautiful, very well sung, and it combined the best of the London and NY productions.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#51re: Any CHESS Fans?
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:55pm

I felt that the Danish Freddie had the "raw" qualities that Adam has, but executed them in a much better way.

He just has these hard nasally vowels that grate my nerves.

"...and my game is a big sensa-SHAAAA-AAAAAAAA-AAAAANNN!!!"

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

sparkleplenty
#52re: Any CHESS Fans?
Posted: 10/22/07 at 3:02pm

I saw a production of this at the Terrace Theatre in Long Beach, CA with Jodi Benson. The show was great and so was she. So many intense numbers. I thought it was better than what I was lead to expect.

starlyricist Profile Photo
starlyricist
#53re: Any CHESS Fans?
Posted: 10/22/07 at 3:07pm

I felt it worked for him, but yeah, it's not the prettiest sound to come out of a man's mouth.

There are some people in the world who say that writing stories, or composing music or dancing sparkly dances is easy for them. Nothing interferes with their ability to create. While I celebrate their creative freedom, a little part of me just wants to punch those motherf*ckers in the teeth...[tos]

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#54re: Any CHESS Fans?
Posted: 10/22/07 at 8:10pm

It's funny, because I have every recording as well, and I think that Adam's Freddie is probably the best-sung I've heard. I guess a lot of it has to do with preferred vocal styles. Murray Head is great on the concept album, but sounds terribly strained in any of the live versions I've heard of the original London cast. Varla's probably my second-favorite Freddie, with the Danish tour cast being overall enjoyable. I think that the orchestrations are a major strength of that recording, so I'm surprised that some people dislike them so much.

Now, as for Anatoly? To my mind, no one has come close to topping Tommy Körberg.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#55re: Any CHESS Fans?
Posted: 10/22/07 at 9:45pm

I adore CHESS. Very much.

Josh Groban as Anatoly, Judy Kuhn as Florence and Adam Pascal as Freddy *swoon*

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Videos