pixeltracker

Poll: Female Broadway Legends- Page 4

Poll: Female Broadway Legends

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#75Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:38am

So, I just read the title of this thread..."FEMALE" broadway legends. Now I understand why the men were not mentioned!

However I stand by my statement that they deserve recognition!

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

tagiunagi
#76Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:52am

I don't think qualifying to be a "legend" is the number of shows one does on Bway, but the amount of impact one has made on the theater community. And therefore, my vote goes to Julie Andrews. She may not have performed much in the past decades or so, but she originated roles that have made huge impacts on Bway performers/fans.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#77Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:54am

I understand. But I just can't help putting females like Merman, Gwen, and Chita before Julie on my list.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#78Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:56am

In all fairness, the question posed was "Who is your favorite Liza,Barbra,Julie,Bette,etc." There was an "etc" there. Muscle23ftl didn't say that there ARE only 4 choices. Think "What do you like for breakfast? Eggs, cereal, pop-tarts, etc." Well, doesn't "etc" suggest "list your own"?

(This aside from the fact that I, too, have an extremely narrow definition of "Broadway legend." Like Mary and Ethel. That's it.)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

tagiunagi
#79Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:57am

And I by no means do I mean that they aren't legends (because of course they are), but I think Julie has made more of an impact IMO. I guess it's just something we have to agree to disagree upon!

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

hypertruffle
#80Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 4:04pm

hushpuppy-Thanks for correcting me. *wears dunce cap*

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#81Poll: Broadway's Musical Theatre Legends
Posted: 8/22/05 at 4:59pm

LOL. Nobody but an old show queen like me would know that 'Happy Hunting' wasn't a financial flop. It's remembered mostly for the fact that Merman and her co-star Fernando Lamas detested each other and had several fights, on-stage and off.

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

Videos