News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

A Naked Girl on the Appian Way Review- Page 4

A Naked Girl on the Appian Way Review

wickedwitchofthechest
#75MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:43am

Mistress_Spouzic, has Matthew Morrison been prancing around the heather on the hill without you letting us know about it?

I'd love to see him in the opera as well, although I'll admit to selfishly wanting him to take the voice on the road. Maybe I'd get to see him! (Unfortunately, my trips to NYC are generally during the summer. I think The Met ends their season every year before I get there just to spite me.)

Of course, Papageno is a baritone role, and I'm not sure, but I've always thought of Mr. Morrison as a tenor. Perhaps he could be the child of baritone Papageno and soprano Papagena: Papageni. If you mix a baritone and soprano, you usually wind up with tenors, right?

"Wilkins, after all these years, are you trying to be funny?"

nomdeplume
#76MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:47am

Hi Mistress! One ice cream too many, huh? Drivin' that chair a little funny are we? Seein' things what ain't there...

Witchie, I wonder in the operatic canon are there any other roles in feathers? Hmm, any singing male tenor angels? Dinosaurs that still have their feathers (to match the recent fossil finds)?

Something suitable for Mr. Morrison? He's not a Wagnerian tenor, this we know, pass on Wagner.

Something in Verdi, Puccini, something Italian, or another Mozart? Perhaps something more modern...
Updated On: 11/20/05 at 01:47 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#77MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 1:58am

When did they cut the intermission? I saw it with one.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

nomdeplume
#78MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:01am

Mr. Morrison is a lyrical tenor.

It is strange, witchie, I saw Hairspray this week and though the new Link, Andrew, was fine, I kept almost envisioning that certain Fabrizio from Piazza superimposed on the role, like a ghost in overlay, and that was bizarre, especially since I'd never seen Hairspray ever before.

Witchie, you should be able to help me with this...

Do you think our Mr. Morrison is a warlock? And do they fly and have feathers?

nomdeplume
#79MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:04am

iluvtheatertrash, they cut A Naked Girl on the Appian Way's intermission sometime in previews. Lucky for you, you likely saw some material that was later cut.

#80MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:15am

I only had the tiniest bit of ice cream. It was later on when I mixed rum and vodka drinks that did me in.

wickedwitchofthechest
#81MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 2:18am

Nomdeplume, you're positively brilliant! The thought of Our Mr. Morrison as a warlock would explain so much, especially his abilities with metamorphosis. As a wickedwitch myself, I know I have always felt an otherwise inexplicable kinship with the man.

Warlocks definitely fly, and if Matthew Morrison doesn't, I'll lend him my broom. Merlin, at least, was a notorious shape-shifter, so the thought of warlocks with feathers is well within the realm of possibility. No wonder everyone is clamoring to work with him. He probably magics up his own costumes, sets, and lighting. I also wouldn't be surprised if he used some sort of astral projection to superimpose himself upon the roles he's left behind, explaining your experience with Hairspray. Can anyone who's seen The Light in the Piazza since his departure confirm this?

As far as operatic roles for our beloved warlock, the best I've been able to come up with is Prokofiev's The Fiery Angel, although there is a rather sinister coloratura aria about birds in Tales of Hoffman, and I'd love to see an all-bird production of Turandot, in which failed suitors get pushed out of the next and eaten by cats rather than having their heads chopped off.

Of course, the thought of Mr. Morrison as warlock could be potentially dangerous. Is the spell he weaves on his audiences due to his abilities as a performer, or are we literally under his spell? The fact that I am able to ask that question would seem to point to the former option, but perhaps that's part of his sheer, diabolical genius as a warlock.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#82MATTHEW MORRISON: NAKED IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 9:38am

How did Matt like the banana split?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 11/20/05 at 09:38 AM

nomdeplume
#83MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/20/05 at 6:49pm

I am not certain, Witchie...he may have spent a year or two at Hogwarts, very likely sensational at Quidditch...

Perhaps his next role could be in eagle feathers as a warrior or Indian Chief?

Or, set in ancient Hawaii, he could portray a royal alii in a red and gold feather cape and helmet, dance the war hula to Ku, god of war, with feathered wristlets and anklets...

What other feathered role can be forseen for Mr. Morrison? Updated On: 11/20/05 at 06:49 PM

nomdeplume
#84MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/21/05 at 1:56pm

Do you think Matthew Morrison will appear in feathers at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Think he dreams about it?
Updated On: 11/22/05 at 01:56 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#85MATTHEW MORRISON: IN FEATHERS?
Posted: 11/21/05 at 8:58pm

Dream on...

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

nomdeplume
#86MATTHEW MORRISON: FEATHERS vs. FANGS?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:50am

There is a distressing rumor that Mr. Morrison is under consideration for the role of a certain werewolf in a hush-hush major studio film project (a bit of a slasher).

And, there has been the inevitable contract negotiation tussle over whether Mr. Morrison will be able to retain his curly locks for the role...

Let's just say fangs have been bared...

His agent has argued hard for updating the humble werewolf image to that of a dashing curly-haired werewolf...

NOTHING is in ink yet!

But would his fans rather see him in FEATHERS or FANGS?

Inquiring minds want to know...

wickedwitchofthechest
#87MATTHEW MORRISON: FEATHERS vs. FANGS?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 1:22am

Ach! I desperately need to go to bed, but, oh, well...

I heard that Mr. Morrison definitely agreed to play the part of the turkey in this year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, although an unfortunate allergic reaction to a faux feather costume will sadly prevent him from assuming what would seem in all other respects to be a providential role for him. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: real feathers are the only possible option in costuming. Anything else is, if you'll pardon the expression, for the birds. (Or perhaps decidedly not for the birds?) Unfortunately, Mr. Macy did not agree with me. Heated words were exchanged.

I believe Mr. Morrison would be equally at home in fangs or feathers, depending on which aspect of his multi-faceted personality he chooses to display. While fangs and fur are perfect outward manifestations of the hidden, inner beast only hinted at in the wildness of his curls, feathers speak to the pure soul that emerges so beautifully in his dulcet vocal tones. Audience reaction would depend entirely on which facet of Mr. Morrison each individual prefers. I would hope that we could each find something to love in him, whether fanged or feathered, but the public is a fickle lot.

Personally, I think he would lend a wonderful suavity and sophistication that has been so lacking in werewolves of late. Gone are the gentleman swashbuckling werewolf and the debonair gambling werewolf. Now, we are treated to such characters as the shy, retiring professor werewolf, who makes such hideous fashion choices as allowing a caterpillar permanent residence on his upper lip. In short: werewolves need you, Matthew!!!

And now I must to bed. Eleven hour drive tomorrow!!! Then a tofurkey feast!!! Yay!!!

nomdeplume
#88MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 2:48pm

A tofu-turkey feast, witchie? You must be a Vegemerican.

A turkey will flutter its last for me, I am afraid. I am not so saintly.

As to the posits you have, egglike, laid before us:

The idea of faux feathers for our favorite bird was a squalid abomination. What creature coulda thunk it?

Well, yes, the curly hair implies the fang-ged, furry beast beneath the serene exterior. And the swirling musical notes that eminate do express a tender, hopeful soul in sympathetic expansion.

And while, admittedly, the present lackluster canon of werewolves is shy of the gentleman swashbuckler werewolf and debonair gambler werewolf, I think his next role must needs take advantage of his agile physicality...

We want SWORDPLAY!

Fencing duels. Let us see foil, dagger and rapier in hand! The dance in the thrust and parry, the lunge... Put a sword in that man's hand!

En guarde, Mr. Morrison! Updated On: 11/22/05 at 02:48 PM

#89MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 3:50pm

ya'll need something more constructive to do with your time.

nomdeplume
#90MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/22/05 at 10:11pm

"I only had the tiniest bit of ice cream. It was later on when I mixed rum and vodka drinks that did me in."

Sorry, Mistress, if you think a little satirical melodrama is less constructive than going to ice cream parties and then drinking liquor after.

To each their own...

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#91MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 6:07pm

"ya'll need something more constructive to do with your time."

This is coming from a girl who runs his website?

#92MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 6:10pm

Socializing is always constructive.

nomdeplume
#93MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 6:21pm

I think his website could use your attention more than I, Mistress.

#94MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 6:28pm

his website gets attention when he gives me something to put there.

nomdeplume
#95MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 6:33pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Mr. Morrison! Updated On: 11/24/05 at 06:33 PM

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#96MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 7:11pm

Happy Thanksgiving Mistress.

#97MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/23/05 at 7:39pm

happy turkey.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#98MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/24/05 at 12:10am

Who you callin' a turkey?

nomdeplume
#99MATTHEW MORRISON: GUMBY WITH SWORD IN HAND?
Posted: 11/24/05 at 2:49am

This just in from a bartender in Pasedena with big Fozzie Bear ears:

There is a rumor that Mr. Morrison, in motion, will be Gumbified by computer animation to create the image of Gumby in the upcoming "Battle of the Zombie Gumbys." His image will inspire the both one true swashbuckling Gumby and the myriad zombie Gumbys.

Whether to go futuristic with light sabers or sword and dagger as a period piece is as yet undetermined. It is expected, however, to be filmed in New York. This on the VERY VERY hush hush... one of the Lions in front of the NY Public Library has overheard that there are plans for a very big swordfight scene from rowboat to rowboat on the lake in Central Park with zillions of zombie Gumbys... Updated On: 11/24/05 at 02:49 AM

Videos