News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

A Naked Girl on the Appian Way Review- Page 2

A Naked Girl on the Appian Way Review

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#25Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 10:23am

Marilyn Monroe nor Gumby can't hold a candle to MJM.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 10/15/05 at 10:23 AM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#26Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:22am

I agree! Mr. Matty Fresh is a sweetheart.

nomdeplume
#27Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:33am

Defying categories!

And now on Broadway...

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#28Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 11:34am

Oh look...the pop tart has come out of the toaster. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#29Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/15/05 at 12:44pm

Umm...this thread is cracking me up, I'm just sad I that I feel like I have nothing to contribute to it, except for the fact that I loved Gumby, and as a kid I was called Pokey b/c I was so slow....children can be so cruel....

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

Kringas
#30Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 12:44am

It would take a very talented and (very hot) actor to play both Ophelia one night and Hamlet the next. Is MJM up to task?

And what of Fozzie Bear? His "wakka wakka wakka" is the one I like to remember best.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

nomdeplume
#31Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/17/05 at 11:41pm

Fozzie Bear? Hmmm...

(consulting Wikipedia encyclopedia)

A Jim Henson Muppet that sings, dances, wiggles his ears and says "Wocka wocka wocka."

Apparently, Anna, you curly-haired men have a wavelength all your own...

For Halloween, a Fozzie Bear with zombie rot?

http://www.phillyburbs.com/halloweendecor/puppety.shtml

What next, Mr. Morrison?

Updated On: 10/17/05 at 11:41 PM

Kringas
#32Matthew Morrison: Marilyn Monroe or Gumby?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 12:08am

With my hair shorn as it is, there's no trace of wave left, therefore I am cut off from the curly haired men wavelength. Perhaps that's why I am not on Broadway.

Perhaps Mr. Morrison's next project will be a one man rock musical of Hamlet entitled Ophelia Heart Beating (Tilia Done Gone and Drowned Yourself). The hook, of course, will be that the story is told by the water in which Ophelia ended her life.

Kringas
#33A Naked Fozzie on Broadway (World)
Posted: 10/18/05 at 12:26am

A Naked Fozzie on Broadway (World)

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#34A Naked Fozzie on Broadway (World)
Posted: 10/18/05 at 1:26am

HAHAHA.

I was soo confused for a second when I saw the new subject heading(hadn't read the last couple of posts) and I was like OMG is this just a coincedence or did they know he said wakka wakka wakka when we last saw him? Then saw Mistress' post and wasn't so freaked out, but I love the subject heading. Think I would have put it together when I was trying to help you figure out if there was a correct way to spell "wakka," just never remembered to ask where you were writing about it.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

nomdeplume
#35FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:23am

Ah, wickedrentq, I have added that topnote, that parenthetical--if in brackets--to the top of this thread to assist. An omission, given the late hour the mystery unraveled...

It seems we have stumbled upon the revelation, without spilling too many beans to competitor actors, that Mr. Morrison is a Method actor...

#36FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:35am

every time you call him "Mr. Morrison" I end up giggling.

nomdeplume
#37FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:54am

Well you are not alone in your giggles, Mistress.

I could hardly fall asleep last night with visuals of Fozzie Bear dancing in my head, wiggling ears and all... I think I lost a pound off my abdomen.

How then to refer if not by "Mr. Morrison?"

"Matty Fresh" is too, too yesterday's newspaper.

"The Fozzie Laddie" conjures images of curly hair but it is too off on a tangent...
Updated On: 10/18/05 at 09:54 AM

wickedrentq
#38FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:16am

Hmm, how about we call him a boob? I've always called Mike Piazza a boob, but then heard him call Guettel a boob and couldn't believe someone else actually calls people boobs often...so makes sense to call him one.

Course I do like him much better than Mike Piazza...then again, he is a Met fan...

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

nomdeplume
#39FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 10:22am

"Boob" is comical
Yet too anatomical...

Updated On: 10/18/05 at 10:22 AM

nomdeplume
#40FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 12:39pm

Fozzie Bear conjures up the Theatre of the Absurd to me.

But somehow you never think, ROUNDABOUT Theatre, oh yes, Ionesco, Jarry, Pirandello...

[Luigi Pirandello, 1934 Nobel Prize in Literature, by the by; and to give Roundabout credit, Nobel Laureate Pinter's Betrayal, presented there recently with a stellar cast, is also considered to be within the genre of the Theatre of the Absurd]

Updated On: 10/18/05 at 12:39 PM

#41FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 3:38pm

my friends and I used to call him adorkable, but thats an adjective, not a noun.

nomdeplume
#42FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 3:58pm

Well, if he wants to add a magic act to his repertoire,

I suppose he could go by

THE GREAT MATTAWAKKA

(so long as it passes the Indian tribes without objection.)
Updated On: 10/18/05 at 03:58 PM

Kringas
#43FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 5:04pm

Perhaps he'll tour as his magician persona.

I eagerly await The Great Mattawakka Does Lake Titicaca

wickedwitchofthechest
#44FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 6:40pm

But should he not be called The Great Mattawakkawakkawakka? Bears are notoriously short of temper, and I should hate to offend one that seems to have magical powers by leaving off part of his catchphrase.

So, from this discussion, am I correct in assuming that we believe Mr. Morrisson, aka The Great Mattawakka(wakkawakka) to be synonymous with Fozzie Bear, or does he merely share certain similarities (curly hair and catchphrase)?

"Wilkins, after all these years, are you trying to be funny?"

nomdeplume
#45FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 8:15pm

Ah, witchie.

You are ever one to get right to the point.

If we are going with Mattawakkawakkawakka, should we leave off the "Great"? Or just change its position to

MATTAWAKKAWAKKAWAKKA THE GREAT

Hmmm...there it is...a mouthful...even a cut and paste...but I don't think there will be an objection from the Indian Nations.

To the crux of your query, witchie, while the ordinary superlative actor just vacates his body and channels, He Who Now Has a Very Long Name cannot do this with the great Bear of fiction, Fozzie. So he must invent and adopt a Bear persona, avoiding at all cost the notoriously short Bear temper which you have brought to our attention. I hear that rapid ear wiggling, a great talent of Fozzie Bear, creates a mood akin to rapture, which may then be imparted to a crowd in performance.

Yes, Anna, it's in the cards. Many a tour lies ahead...

Updated On: 10/18/05 at 08:15 PM

wickedrentq
#46FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:25pm

Well...if we want to be really technical...

Mistress, help me out. I know Fozzie's actual phrase is "Wakka Wakka Wakka," but I think I remember Matt actually at the time just said "Wakka Wakka." So should he be Mattawakkawakka?

wickedwitchofthechest
#47FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:35pm

Enlightenment! I now understand the joy I felt viewing both The Muppet Show and The Light in the Piazza. Thank you, nomdeplume. I am forever changed.

So, would ear wiggling then be considered schtick? I would hate to attribute such a thing to our much vaunted Mattawakkawakkawakka The Great, but it does seem a bit of an easy way to get a reaction from the audience.

On the other hand, I have seen ear wiggling performed as one of the truest outpourings of a character's soul, and as such, it is beautifully effective.

Alas, I am in a quandry.

wickedwitchofthechest
#48FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:45pm

To wakka wakka wakka, or to wakka wakka?

Sounds like we may have a battle of the bears on our hand.

wickedrentq
#49FOZZIE BEAR on the APPIAN WAY?
Posted: 10/18/05 at 9:49pm

Hmm...Fozzie only had the ear wiggling mechanism the first season of the Muppet show, than the puppet was revamped to give him better movements and it was felt the ear wiggling was unnecessary.

Videos