pixeltracker

My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans- Page 4

My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans

dalefully Profile Photo
dalefully
#75re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/20/08 at 2:32am

I have to say, I agree with Foster on this one. Sure, a specific audience member can be obnoxious, but pure enthusiasm, even if it's a little bit on the crazy side has never interfered with my enjoyment of a show.

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#76re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/20/08 at 2:46am

This is ABSOLUTELY STUPID. The behavior of the fans should not impact your opinion on the show, it should impact your opinion of the fans themselves.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#77re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 7/20/08 at 2:48am

I agree with you in general. It can cause problems at individual performances, though. (See my post earlier.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#78re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 3/3/09 at 12:59pm

I wasn't sure if this rated it's own thread but I thought it was, at least, worthy of discussion.

I was at Marvelous Wonderettes (a great show - go see it) this weekend and after the show I was standing outside with my friend. Near us were a a group of people who had obviously seen the show multiple times. Mind you, I have no issue with seeing a show more than once. But they were showing off the video and photos they'd taken during the show. That's what bothered me. They seemed to feel as if the rules had no meaning for them.

I had a similar experience at Grease (don't start) where every time Ace Young sang "Greased Lightenin'" his fans (who always sat front row) would stand and scream like they were at a rock concert.

I just don't understand what makes people think that the rules don't apply to them just because they're "big fans"? In my opinion you can see a show once or a hundred times and the rules don't change just because you're pouring all that money into the show.

If I love a show enough to see it multiple times then I'm going to respect the rules more than someone who will, probably, never see it again. Of course I expect everyone to respect the rules. I'm just saying that if I enjoy it that much then I want other people do to the same. I like to share what I love. So if I were to break the rules it would negatively impact someone else's enjoyment of the show.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm older (or simply more mature) or the fact that I was raised to not only be respectful but to hold theatre in high regard. But it just makes me crazy when "superfans" think they can do whatever they want just because they see it as "their" show.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

joeybiltmore1
#79re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 3/3/09 at 1:49pm

Gypsy.

Where many in the audience seemed to be whoo-ing and applauding and congratulating themselves for their own camp-heavy knowledge of the show rather than the production itself. At first it was charming but when it turned into the Rocky Horror Show it really interfered with an otherwise terrific show.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#80re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 3/3/09 at 3:38pm

I love the music of The Phantom of the Opera. Not so wild about the actual production, or the lyrics, or the plot, or the "effects," and I couldn't care less about the characters involved.

Whenever I reference Phantom, people either say 'ew... you're not serious?' or they respond with an absurd rabid, "OMG, I LOVE ERIKKKKK! LET ME COUNT THE WAYS AND RELAY EVERY DISTURBING ERIK-RELATED FANTASY!" Seriously, Phantom of the Opera is like Twilight in every possible way. Poorly written, overly dramatic, and every teenage girl is in love with a creepy violent obsessive character. But I'd still be able to love the music if it weren't for the fact that everyone except me just LOVES the Phantom and wishes Christine had picked him and is obsessed with the Phantom and his 'hotness' (I thought he was hideous?) to the point of it being scary.

It just scares me how unhealthy this obsession with the Phantom is, especially since other teenagers would go for real-life guys who remind them of the Phantom-- never good.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

WishingOnlyWounds2
#81re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 3/3/09 at 3:41pm

[title of show]

Going on closing night probably wasn't the best idea but the fans crying hysterically going "Please, no, please." during the show was quite distracting.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#82re: My enjoyment of...was ruined by the fans
Posted: 3/3/09 at 4:15pm

Not the whole show...but Legally Blonde Laura's last night got annoying. The screaming during entrances was fine, but then it got a little too loud randomly during songs.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

Videos