Bootlegs

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#125re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:51pm

Yes and in Alabama, it's against the LAW to have your pig on a leash within 20 paces of a clergyman.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

touchmeinthemorning
#126re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:51pm

and it's still illegal for two men to get married.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#127re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:54pm

Exactly. If these people don't want to "LEGALLY" tape and distribute a product, they have to realize that others are going to. It's exactly what you said. Suply and demand. George Lucas realized it when bootleg sales of the Star Wars trilogy were actually losing him millions. I dare you to find me one Broadway show that has suffered any kind of a loss because of a boot floating around.

That's a double dare.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

JeffG
#128re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:54pm

Matt_G

I never pointed a finger at anyone posting, but a general opinion about the under 30 set. Interesting that you felt "threatened" by the comment enough to believe I was talking about you.

As for a weak argument. The only weak argument is that stealing is justified. I still pose the question, what gives YOU (everyone, not just Matt_g) the right to steal someone else's material?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#129re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 2:55pm

And if the little piece of paper that said it was wrong ("illegal") was invalidated, you would automaticaly feel different?

JeffG
#130re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:00pm

How about answering my question instead? You clearly have a problem with authority and the law. If I were to take a wild stab, I'd easily believe you are one who thrives on bootlegs. Getting them, making them, maybe even selling them. You seem a little "too" passionate about the cause.

That being said, your argument about the piece of paper making the difference is ridiculous. A law is not about the paper it's written on, it's what it stands for.

And if the law changed, I would still think it's wrong to steal someone else's work without permission.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#131re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:05pm

You would be guessing wrong, my friend.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#132re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:11pm

There is probably no one here who is any more passionate about theater than I am and I can certainly say that if the technology had existed years ago and tapes were made of the old Broadway stars I would LOVE to have seen them.

However, the technology did not exist and hence we don't have film of the original plays of Shakespeare etc. Just because we have the technology doesn't mean that we should use it in ways that will violate the rights of others. We could say the same thing about cloning and stem cell research. We have to be careful not to justify the results by saying that we have the ability to do it so therefore it must be OK

I am ALL FOR professional archiving of shows and wish that they would make these available for purchase. I also wish that I could have more money to spend on things like vacation. But I don't go out and steal it just because I want it.

To ask if we would feel differently if the law were not in place is a bit naive. Just because there WAS no law to allow blacks to vote...didn't mean that I didn't BELIEVE they should be able to vote. Artists (who don't make much anyway -- at least most of us) lose money every day on scalping and bootlegging in every part of the entertainment industry.

You can SAY it isn't true but it doesn't make it any less true. As Ugarte said, if you WANT to sell and/or buy bootlegs, at least be honest enough to say that you just flat out don't care whether it's legal or not and whether it hurts anyone or not.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

JeffG
#133re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:26pm

"You would be guessing wrong, my friend."

I think not. And since you are entitled to think bootlegging is legitimate. I'm entitled to my opinion about your legitimacy.

But I see you chose not to answer my simple question. I guess that's because you have no right.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#134re: bootlegs
Posted: 9/21/04 at 3:30pm

This really is a conversation that can go round and round forever. Let's agree to disagree and end it at that.

Videos