News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SamIAm

SamIAm Profile Photo
Member Name: SamIAm
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.
Blog Address:

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Interesting...  Aug 6 2019, 06:37:10 PM

I find it interesting that people love to bash artists like this but when you break down his catalogue of work and his philanthropic efforts, it is hard to believe that the people criticizing him have done half as much. He has written musicals, had a career that includes more hits than most artists of any age, and donated instruments around the world and country so kids can have a musical education. His music is known world wide. You have the right to like or dislike any artist but you can si

Manilow on Broadway  Aug 6 2019, 06:32:17 PM

Artists and performers can't win. If they DON'T do anything to look younger, people complain about how old they are. If they DO, people complain about that. I see no reason he can't perform and move the audience no matter what his face looks like. 

I respectfully disagree  Aug 6 2019, 06:29:18 PM

As an actor, I have always done the same performance in a matinee as I do in the evening. As a theater patron I have always seen performers do their best in a matinee. Are there actors today who want to negotiate to get someone else do the matinee?  Sure. But that is not a trend or the rule. That is the exception. You should expect no less than a full out performance no matter what time of day you see the show. 

Question  Jun 28 2019, 03:30:58 PM

Can I have the monkey?

Seriously?  Jun 28 2019, 03:30:03 PM

We just had Kline in this role and not long before that, Victor Garber did a revival. I really don't know that this play is popular enough to warrant another revival this soon.

Really?  May 29 2019, 05:24:44 PM

First, your examples are really a false equivalence. Yes, you might talk to a pilot before a flight or a surgeon before surgery but you are not talking to the pilot while they are trying to get to their flight on time or the surgeon while they are trying to get the O.R. on time. Nor are you stopping them on the street to ask for their autograph or picture. The point people are trying to make is that the ticket to the show entitles you to the very best performance the actor can give you. It do

Please...  May 28 2019, 05:52:24 PM

Please DO NOT ADVISE PEOPLE TO APPROACH ACTORS BEFORE A SHOW. It is rude and is bound to end up in disappointment. Even the most accommodating of them will be in a rush and trying to get to the theater. And, in essence, your ticket buys you a good performance, not access after a show so if an actor chooses not to do the stage door, that should be respected. As has been mentioned before in this thread, you COULD ask at the stage door and see if you could send the poster back to be signed. Depe

Jerry Orbach  May 10 2019, 01:32:16 PM

I had the privilege of seeing him do The Fantasticks and Promises, Promises. I always got a chuckle out of the conversations I had with people once Lawn & Order came on. Why is it that TV viewers always assume that an artist's history started with the TV show they know. People would say, 'I didn't know he could sing.'  You still hear that today about other Broadway talent that have transitioned to TV. Orbach as a force and, he managed to pursue his career without bein

We all know...  Apr 30 2019, 06:12:10 PM

We all know that there is a certain amount of politics in all award nominations but the idea that the committee would punish Sorkin and Rudin at the expense of recognizing good work means that we have really fallen far. 

There were numerous surprises this year and it does seem that every few years the committee goes temporarily insane and no one can make sense of their nominations 

Interesting  Apr 3 2019, 07:04:39 PM

Reading back through this and other threads on other boards, people were initially complaining about all the bodily fluid, blood, etc and the splashing. Now, it seems people are disappointed that there isn't enough blood and that it is not outrageous enough. As with any other show, I always suggest to people that they do their homework and understand what they are buying tickets to and what it is about so that they aren't sitting in the audience annoyed or disappointed. I remember sto

Clearly this is a joke  Mar 28 2019, 05:22:27 PM

You can't seriously think that an actor would want to (or even be allowed to) learn another role while performing every day in the current show...not to mention contractual, producer issues etc. I am guessing this is just a flight of fancy because if you really are a theater fan or pro, you know this doesn't even rise to the definition of unlikely. 

Definition of 'a mess'  Mar 13 2019, 10:21:11 AM
Oh for the days when reviews were written after opening. I get that this show will nit be everyibne's cup of tea, to jump online and write negative reviews after a cast member injury is premature. The cast is still working in this and, while I understand that we all have the right to our opinion after having paid the price of admission but I like to think people would take a beat.
Definition of 'a mess'  Mar 11 2019, 01:34:25 PM

To call this production a mess because they experienced a cast member injury is not the definition of 'a mess' in my mind. A mess is when a production is racing toward preview opening and the cast and crew is not ready because of technical issues, an inability to focus the piece or capture the characters or, in the extreme, to remember lines!  

This was an incident that could not have been predicted and, rather than starting previews before they are ready and risking

Sometimes it is because you are cheap and sometimes...  Feb 8 2019, 05:54:55 PM

It could be that someone is cheap but it could also be that they just can't believe what they are seeing. I was at a performance during Rex Harrison's last run in My Fair Lady. He walked through the performance in a fugue state and Cathleen Nesbitt was, by then, so feeble that a man in a morning coat had to lead her around the stage and get her to hit her mark. At one point she kept calling Pickering by Henry's name and called her son, Henry, Colonel Pickering. It was SO bad that

Sincerity aside...  Jul 27 2018, 04:36:05 PM

I don't know whether he is sincere or not but frankly in this day and age, I have grown tired of people saying that we should not listen to the words a person says. 'Oh, that's not what they meant'. If you don't MEAN it, don't say it. If you misspeak, correct yourself and apologize. Words matter. If he said it in an interview, knowing it would be printed, then I have to assume he MEANT it. 

Saddest songs in musical theater  Jun 27 2018, 04:21:49 PM

Not a Day Goes By

No More

In Buddy's Eyes

Loving You

I'll Be Seeing You (yes, it was from a Broadway musical, 'Right This Way' which closed after 15 performances)

Rumor is...  Jun 13 2018, 06:15:54 PM

Rudin, Lane, Metcalf and Mantello directing. But, it is just that...a rumor. Nothing definite yet although when it was suggested half-jokingly, both actors seemed to like the idea. 

um...  Jun 12 2018, 06:55:51 PM

If you can't sing, you should not be auditioning for a singing part. 

I am not sure what you want former presidents to do  Jun 12 2018, 06:54:54 PM

Former presidents have no power to do anything about Trump. Congress and the Senate and the DOJ are the ones that will drive this or stand by while things deteriorate further. Former presidents are, in fact, off doing things to make the world better with foundations and other actions but they have no control over what is happening at the WH. 

Angels in America Question  Apr 26 2018, 07:02:51 PM

Try to convince him to take the leap. It is a day of theater he will never forget and a production that everyone should see if they can

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You